Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As you go along: safety chains should be connected to truck frame, not hitch receiver. Same for breakaway switch. There's a decent thread on cables vs chains from a few years back with discussions and links.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I've heard this, but there is no where to attach chains or breakaway to the underside of the Ram that would not immediately come loose. Matter of fact, my breakaway won't reach underside of bumper without coming unplugged.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #23
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Also, for safety reason you can not use a lock on your hitch. I got pulled over for doing that. The reason is, if there is a fire or accident, you can quickly unhitch. And...don't you know on our way to Milwaukee last Summer we passed a truck and trailer and trailer was on fire. Men were quickly unhitching as family waited way off to the side. This was all before emergency help came.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
And yet everywhere I go I see a lock on the hitch. What should I be using? A pin?

This is news to me, in all past businesses we always locked the trailer when hitched to the truck.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #25
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I use a pin type thing. Believe me, I was all about the lock, until getting pulled over. My hitch receiver is locked onto car, because when I had the tab twice my pin came out, whuch is a bad thing. Btw love your travel reports, and love your lifestyle.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Hmm... interesting, I'll look into that. Thanks.

I'll have to ask some of the other folks here at the Airstream park about the chains and stuff.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Towing with the new setup: Bilsteins + TTC-1223 + Toyo 275/65R20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I've heard this, but there is no where to attach chains or breakaway to the underside of the Ram that would not immediately come loose. Matter of fact, my breakaway won't reach underside of bumper without coming unplugged.

Create your own. There are suppliers for these parts. Finding a welder the hardest part. New longer chains and extension for bswitch. Read the thread. DOT requirements for those of us who have used pickups falling under commercial requirements are used to this. Icing on the cake are chains that EACH can control the weight of the trailer (the way I read USDOT).

Looks like you have the OEM receiver. Not strong whether welded or bolted. Likely cannot achieve 100% FALR. But even if you upgrade and ran diagonal bracing, safety chains are not allowed as attached to receiver.

As I said, when you get to it. Full timing is a different, more exacting set of requirements.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #28
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

Looks like you have the OEM receiver. Not strong whether welded or bolted. Likely cannot achieve 100% FALR.
I have the factory hitch receiver and can achieve 100% FALR. No issues.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Looks like you have the OEM receiver. Not strong whether welded or bolted. Likely cannot achieve 100% FALR.
I get 100% FALR also, and my tongue weight is 1,200 lbs, +,-.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #30
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thanks for the advise. My hitch is bolted.

Could you "slowmover" post a photo of where you attach your chains up under your truck. Would love to see this.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I did write part of that above post incorrectly. I've seen several bolt on and weld to round tube Dodge receivers not stand up to towing, mine included. Bears watching.

And I was not able to transfer TW to front axle due to this. Not the only one out there. Bears checking on scale because height measurements are subject to factors which render them only a rough in.

SAE J684 has been in continual revision since 1962. One will find state law references which do not allow safety chain attachment to the receiver. And some states require that each chain must be able to bear the trailer weight alone. Bears weighing as a goal.

The latest revisions seem to allow for crossmember hitch receiver attachment. Guess I'm out of date. But I'm relying on other sources versus a $72 download cost. Bears examine state laws.

I've had look overs of several dozen RV wrecks over the decades. Rarely do the chains keep the vehicles attached as they ought. And breakaway switches are notorious for not working after only two/three years. Bears keeping a spare.

A starting discussion on this forum is in the thread, Safety Cables versus Chains. As I use chains at work I prefer them and take ratings seriously. Peerless and Tulsa Chain both have good sites.

On Woodalls is one of (John) JBarca's great threads entitled WD Safety Chains Hook Up. His other threads (as with rewiring trailer brakes are a must read, IMO) are always good. Bears measuring and testing as shown.

As the OP read about and changed tires/wheels, this and the above was not meant to be adversarial, but is in the same line: there is more to it than 96% or more of RV'ers appear to believe. Bears investigating.

The end result is that system doesn't work when it needs to in all too many cases. I assume it when coming up on a rollover and am rarely wrong. This includes 5ers and GN trailers, private and commercial. The vehicles are no longer attached.

Don't take it for granted and don't assume.

Pics of mine will be up when I've had a semi custom receiver built. The third receiver at that point. And replaced/modified the trailer tongue. I've already a good list for a certified welder past this system.

Sorry I don't have pics of my fathers rig as it was thorough, both the custom receiver on his Cadillac and the way in which these attachments and rigging were done. Some things were better back when.

Today's hitch receivers are NOT as strong as those custom ones. SAE does not spec them for loads as high as WD can exert. And the weld up kits one used to be able to source are no longer available. Unlike the one tons, I don't see any aftermarket receivers for the Dodge half ton that look like a better beginning.

Bracing the factory piece would have been my choice had the OEM piece been any good for my year of one ton. Can Am does diagonals from the receiver tube outward to the frame rails to clear the spare tire. That should help with frame flex, at least. In turn, less force is potentially needed to meet FALR goals. Etc.

The receiver can be torn from the vehicle. Even factory crossmember mounts. There are many kinds of wrecks involving RVs including being t-boned. Controlling the trailer afterwards is the question. Bears some reading.

Believe me that this has all been offered as one father to another. So this post bears apologies. Have a look at the subject as time allows.

There is much more reading on how to secure the scene of an accident, mainly DOT and NHTSA. Flashers and some triangles are not sufficient to what SHOULD be required. Americans on the road are considered disposable. Good luck finding the very few decent discussions on RV boards per that subject. It's almost terra incognita. Related to the above its all worth your time. Don't let the weak links of the former intrude on the latter. Black pun fully intended.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I'm confused about the dodge hitches. Some time ago someone made the same failure claim but couldn't come up with documentation. What years are we talking about and what were the tongue weights? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Dang slowmover....there's a lot of bears in that post !!

While you're on the subject of chains and such, how about throwing in your two cents on the idea of grade 70 vs grade 30 for safety chains ? Is 70 needed, or would you say it's overkill ?
I use 70 for my loads like chaining the skidsteer on the trailer, etc, but I believe most travel trailers come with grade 30.
Both of my gooseneck trailers came with gr 70.
Thoughts ?
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
After doing a search on "Dodge Ram Receiver Hitch Failures", this is the only thing I could find, a failure at 24,500 lbs, and this is the older style hitch receiver.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #35
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
There is a lot to absorb in this thread and think about from the above commenters.

I went to the CAT scales on Friday when we where driving from VA to here in NY. Trailer came in at 6400 even surprisingly, but my WD must not of been setup as good as I thought (Proof the scales are the barrier of truth). Front was 3249 and rear was 3894 with a combined of a 13543. Under my GVCWR of 15000. Pretty sure I need to distribute that load more to the front wheels.

While in NY here at the family farm we're remodeling the front bedroom area, switching to a twin setup and I'm contemplating a Propride after seeing all the Hensley and Propride users at the Rally in VA.

We also brought a number of things in the truck that will be staying in storage with family, so I expect to loose about 150-200lbs.

So I'll chime back in in 20 days probably with an update. My primary goals have been to keep weight down and within spec on both vehicles.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Did you weigh the truck alone?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #37
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Did you weigh the truck alone?
No we did not. It was literally a spur of the moment thing, with two kids on the road and already at 10pm we just made a quick go at it.

Now that we are here in NY, there is a Pilot Travel Center 3 miles up the road with a CAT scale, gonna make a point to load the fam and truck as it will be when we leave and weight it by itself, then of course after all the projects are done, everything in the sequence. Trailer > Truck > Trailer + Truck without WD > Trailer + Truck with WD.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Which way are headed when you leave NY?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #39
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Heading to Ohio to visit my family, we're in NY visiting wife's family and making use of a wood shop. Used to spend every summer growing up with my grandfather camping. For about 5 summers we camped at a place called Willow Lake Campground, going back there for old memories.

Then westward.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Does anybody attach the safety chains to anything but the hitch receiver? I have been a de-parker on a few caravans and have looked at a couple hundred hitched units on the way out and I do not recall seeing even one with the chains not to the hitch receiver. Brake-away cable to something else. Usually the top of the bumper. What have I missed here?

I know of one receiver that broke loose from the truck. Chains on the hitch. A Hensley hitch on a Ford 250. It happened at low speed and in a good spot and the break away switch worked and saved the trailer.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote