Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Milton , Ontario
Terminology screw up. I meant the hitch ball mount which I had heard described as a receiver.
By the way it actually happened that my Hensley hitch failed just last week and it is only six months old with 7000 kilometers ( 4200 miles) on it. I didn't want to muddy up my question with too much detail.
The connecting links that join the top and bottom assemblies bent downward. This is a similar area to the post from "moosetags". The bearings were ok but this is a 5/8" steel plate about 6" long so what would cause that. My set yp and towing have been consistent all Summer since it was installed
Don't know if Hensley have a problem with material quality control
I sent it to Hensley and it will be back next week.
Hensley are cute with the way the warranty works. You have to pay the shipping both ways which in my case was around $400 CAN. This certainly makes you stop and think for any future hitch purchase where you are not completely covered.
Would appreciate hearing from any other Henley hitch failures maybe we need a section on equipment failures.
thanks for all the responses.

Norrie
Norrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
To answer your original question:

Unless the trailer's tongue weight is so high that it could damage the TV's suspension without WD, then traveling at slow speeds with care exercised should cause no problem. I have a ProPride hitch. But we towed our 31 foot classic home from the dealer on a bare ball. I would also do it now if it was a case of getting somewhere to get a repair done. If you are willing to travel slowly and carefully there should be no problem. The speed is dependent on the terrain, In our case it was mostly level and we stayed under 45 MPH.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Milton , Ontario
Sorry I meant the ball mount.

Norrie
Norrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #24

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrie46 View Post
Terminology screw up. I meant the hitch ball mount which I had heard described as a receiver.
By the way it actually happened that my Hensley hitch failed just last week and it is only six months old with 7000 kilometers ( 4200 miles) on it. I didn't want to muddy up my question with too much detail.
The connecting links that join the top and bottom assemblies bent downward. This is a similar area to the post from "moosetags". The bearings were ok but this is a 5/8" steel plate about 6" long so what would cause that. My set yp and towing have been consistent all Summer since it was installed
Don't know if Hensley have a problem with material quality control
I sent it to Hensley and it will be back next week.
Hensley are cute with the way the warranty works. You have to pay the shipping both ways which in my case was around $400 CAN. This certainly makes you stop and think for any future hitch purchase where you are not completely covered.
Would appreciate hearing from any other Henley hitch failures maybe we need a section on equipment failures.
thanks for all the responses.

Norrie

When our Hensley failed, we had used it for over eight years and had towed with it for 140,000 miles. Yes, we also had to pay the shipping for the new unit from Michigan to Washington ($95). then we had to pay shipping on the the return of the core to Hensley ($105). We are the original owners of our Hensley, so the was no cost for the rebuilt unit.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrie46 View Post
Sorry I meant the ball mount.

Norrie
This post make me wonder if we are all on the same page. By the "ball mount" , do you mean the place on the truck's bumper where you can mount a ball? If this is the case, then this requires knowledge of what that mount is rated at. I would not exceed that at all. I was talking about a ball mount that was inserted into the hitch receiver on the truck. All of this is however subject to the published rating of whatever mounting system you are talking about. Even in an emergency, I would not exceed the manufacturer's ratings.

Ken
Old 12-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
What's in a name?
http://howto.curtmfg.com/Pages/index.cfm.23.html
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I have been towing "one the ball" for 2.5 years and over 15,000 miles, I would not go back to a WD sway control hitch. I have a 30' Classic PV is a Silverado 1500. Top speed should be 65 and a 60 down a steep hill. We have traveled coast to coast including some very steep grades in the west with no trouble. Once on a real windy day going down hill at 65 I had some sway, I put the trailer brakes on gently and slowed to 60 and the sway stopped. I feel I loose that extra weight, trouble hitching up and cost.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

..... Larry, got any video or pic's of your set-up, we're ready to lern.

DDT I ever herd of.

Bob
Old 12-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I said it above, my trailer tows fairly stable on the ball at 60 mph and below, but I cant sit in a vehicle all day driving 60 or less.

If my two trailers are a good representation of others, I think that driving 60 and under without anti sway is going to be safe, but not as SWEET as my Hensley.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #30
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
FWIW-

Just witnessed 2 inbound rigs checking in @ Fort Wilderness an hour ago that were smaller glue lam walled price point trailers with paper tags (read brand new). One was on a F350 dually and one on a F250 Sbcc. They both apparently had significant tongue weight for small trailers as even the dually was bow high with trailer badly tongue low.

Told my wife I should write tickets for poor hitch setup. Please folks, setup whatever you tow and whatever you tow with properly. I don't care if you use a $150 dollar Craigslist hitch or a $3k PPP hitch, but do us all a favor and use something for safety's sake. Your trailer needs to tow level and your tow vehicle needs the weight your trailer tongue removed added back to the front axle. Please help kept your family and ours safe..... If you can tow only with a ball and meet those conditions then rock on.

Flame suit on..........

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I gave away our old WD only hitch to an SOB towing neighbor. Big truck, but way down at the rear when only on the ball. Hopefully he will use it and at least get his front axle firmly on the ground. Was scary to watch.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
I gutted my 1958 Caravanner to 2180# w/ 300# tongue but did modity to air ride w/ independent suspension and tow on the ball w/ Cadillac Escalade EXT. Speed so far 90 MPH + and w/ no effect at lower speeds when semi's overtake. Am running bias ply tires on 15" rims.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:25 AM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

^
Trolling...

Bob
Old 12-07-2015, 04:34 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
Trolling...

Bob
Yup!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:46 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Some people wanted some pictures of my rig. Thirty foot classic with 1500 Silverado with not WD sway control and no tow package. I have health issues so will not able to get them for a while, but it set very pretty, no sage in the rear end, nice an level and "flat".
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
As said ...it depends upon the load rating of the TV, tires, suspension, & brakes ... but with a 2500, towing on just a ball should not be an issue.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #37
Rivet Master

One thing that clouds this particular issue is that each person has their own comfort level. Like so many things of this type it is easy to get locked into our own personal opinions. I grew up with the boy scout motto, "Be Prepared" always on my mind. Therefor I use a weight distribution/sway control hitch. That does not make me right. It just make me comfortable. If we are going to worry about what the other fellow is using to tow affecting us, perhaps we should worry about more prevalent dangers, such a weather, drunk drivers, etc. Personally I would not consider towing with some of the previous suggestions. However since the original question was about an emergency situation, In that case, yes, I would tow my heavy trailer on a bare ball, cautiously.

Ken
Old 12-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
Has more to do with your tow vehicle and a properly rate hitch. Weight Distibution is just that, used to distribute weight. If your tow vehicle can carry the tongue weight of your trailer you don't need to redistribute it. Most trailers (all kinds not just campers) are towed without issue on "just a ball". Knowing what your tow vehicle is capable of is the important part. If your TV needs the assistance of WD than towing on the ball alone could be problematic and should only be used for short trips and emergencies. When your vehicle alone is not capable of handling the weight the hitch becomes a very integral part of the towing process.

Joe D
Bingo! You need to know your vehicle and what it is rated to haul with and without WD. For example, according to Ford's literature, a new Ford F150 with a 3.5 Ecoboost is rated for up to 12,200# towing with WD, but only 5000# without WD. (Of course any weight ratings come with the caveat of an "appropriately equipped" vehicle.)
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
One thing that clouds this particular issue is that each person has their own comfort level. Like so many things of this type it is easy to get locked into our own personal opinions. I grew up with the boy scout motto, "Be Prepared" always on my mind. Therefor I use a weight distribution/sway control hitch. That does not make me right. It just make me comfortable. If we are going to worry about what the other fellow is using to tow affecting us, perhaps we should worry about more prevalent dangers, such a weather, drunk drivers, etc. Personally I would not consider towing with some of the previous suggestions. However since the original question was about an emergency situation, In that case, yes, I would tow my heavy trailer on a bare ball, cautiously.

Ken
Well said, Ken!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote