Old 12-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
....snip, and feeling right is the goal right?
Brevi tempore!

No.....

....some don't know what 'right' feels like.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2013 27' FB International
olney , Illinois
towing my boat without anything but the ball
Has hydraulic activated disc brakes
the boat and trailer is 7500 lbs only but the folded Trimaran is 33 feet long with a mast length of 45 feet .
Towing with a 2010 Tundra ...

The trailer is very long to accommodate the mast ... comparable to its size its very light hence should be very likely to be blown away from every truck passing ...

we catch ourselves going 70 .. but usually stay just above 60

no trouble

would I tow my 27 fb CCD without ? No not really, but I wouldn't have any trouble going 60 without either.

thor

Old 12-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
Has more to do with your tow vehicle and a properly rate hitch. Weight Distibution is just that, used to distribute weight. If your tow vehicle can carry the tongue weight of your trailer you don't need to redistribute it. Most trailers (all kinds not just campers) are towed without issue on "just a ball". Knowing what your tow vehicle is capable of is the important part. If your TV needs the assistance of WD than towing on the ball alone could be problematic and should only be used for short trips and emergencies. When your vehicle alone is not capable of handling the weight the hitch becomes a very integral part of the towing process.

Joe D
Old 12-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We are approaching 150,000 miles of Airstream towing experience. We have always towed with a Hensley Arrow. We have always carried a back up hitch which consists of a heavy duty height-adjustable hitch with three ball sizes including a 2 5/16" ball for the Airstream.

We carry this back-up hitch in case the Hensley should ever fail on the road. We had our Hensley fail in September of 2014 while we were traveling in Washington State. Fortunately, this failure occurred in a campground in Moses Lake, Washington when the roller bearing race failed releasing the bearings out on the ground. We had to stay in place for about a week to receive a new main hitch unit from Hensley in Michigan.

If this had happened on the road, we were prepared with our back-up hitch. We could have easily towed the Airstream to a safe location where we could complete proper repairs.

As far as hitch receiver failure goes, if this fails, your are totally out of business. There would be nowhere to mount the hitch bar. This type of failure is very rare.

Several years ago, the OEM receiver on our 2005 3/4 ton Suburban developed cracks in the in the mounting. It never failed, but we replaced it immediately with a proper after-market Class IV receiver. Below is a photo of the cracked OEM receiver.

Brian
Brian--

Our local hitch guys that I've been using for custom installs since the 70's have a literal mountain of OEM failed hitch receivers in their yard that they love to point to. According to Andy Thompson, for a number of years, US auto manufacturers were selling their trucks with Chines made hitch receivers that were pretty much junk. Looks like you got one!

Apparently, this has changed in more recent years and now stock hitch receivers are muh better made. We didn't mess around and had our local guy install one of his.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Dan-

One of our local AS service techs still moves Airstreams around Los Angeles with his Tundra every day and never uses WD or anti sway--always bare ball. Although I certainly don't advise it, he tells me that he exceeds the speed limit (55 throughout California for trailers) all the time and has had no problem with trailer control.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Decided to get a nice trunion type WD hitch last winter to perhaps lessen the slight bucking that goes along with towing on the ball without one. While hooking up one morning in northern Oregon last April I discovered the cast portion of the hitch was completely broken in half from top to bottom right through the bolt holes . The other side was still intact and supporting ALL of the load. I got out my" trusty hitch" without all the wd stuff and we proceeded without any further problems up through Jun when we got home . They DO break , luckily the other side held until I discovered the break and did not wind up dumping the tongue of the trailer on the ground and catching it with the safety chains . We also used this same "trusty hitch" for an entire round trip of 11,000 miles up through Canada to Alaska and back.
I did weld a bracket on the "trusty Hitch" so a sway bar can be attached.
Merry Christmas !!!
Old 12-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Black Creek , British Columbia
Terminology screw up. I meant the hitch ball mount which I had heard described as a receiver.
By the way it actually happened that my Hensley hitch failed just last week and it is only six months old with 7000 kilometers ( 4200 miles) on it. I didn't want to muddy up my question with too much detail.
The connecting links that join the top and bottom assemblies bent downward. This is a similar area to the post from "moosetags". The bearings were ok but this is a 5/8" steel plate about 6" long so what would cause that. My set yp and towing have been consistent all Summer since it was installed
Don't know if Hensley have a problem with material quality control
I sent it to Hensley and it will be back next week.
Hensley are cute with the way the warranty works. You have to pay the shipping both ways which in my case was around $400 CAN. This certainly makes you stop and think for any future hitch purchase where you are not completely covered.
Would appreciate hearing from any other Henley hitch failures maybe we need a section on equipment failures.
thanks for all the responses.

Norrie
Old 12-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #22
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
To answer your original question:

Unless the trailer's tongue weight is so high that it could damage the TV's suspension without WD, then traveling at slow speeds with care exercised should cause no problem. I have a ProPride hitch. But we towed our 31 foot classic home from the dealer on a bare ball. I would also do it now if it was a case of getting somewhere to get a repair done. If you are willing to travel slowly and carefully there should be no problem. The speed is dependent on the terrain, In our case it was mostly level and we stayed under 45 MPH.

Ken
Old 12-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Black Creek , British Columbia
Sorry I meant the ball mount.

Norrie
Old 12-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #24

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrie46 View Post
Terminology screw up. I meant the hitch ball mount which I had heard described as a receiver.
By the way it actually happened that my Hensley hitch failed just last week and it is only six months old with 7000 kilometers ( 4200 miles) on it. I didn't want to muddy up my question with too much detail.
The connecting links that join the top and bottom assemblies bent downward. This is a similar area to the post from "moosetags". The bearings were ok but this is a 5/8" steel plate about 6" long so what would cause that. My set yp and towing have been consistent all Summer since it was installed
Don't know if Hensley have a problem with material quality control
I sent it to Hensley and it will be back next week.
Hensley are cute with the way the warranty works. You have to pay the shipping both ways which in my case was around $400 CAN. This certainly makes you stop and think for any future hitch purchase where you are not completely covered.
Would appreciate hearing from any other Henley hitch failures maybe we need a section on equipment failures.
thanks for all the responses.

Norrie

When our Hensley failed, we had used it for over eight years and had towed with it for 140,000 miles. Yes, we also had to pay the shipping for the new unit from Michigan to Washington ($95). then we had to pay shipping on the the return of the core to Hensley ($105). We are the original owners of our Hensley, so the was no cost for the rebuilt unit.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #25
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrie46 View Post
Sorry I meant the ball mount.

Norrie
This post make me wonder if we are all on the same page. By the "ball mount" , do you mean the place on the truck's bumper where you can mount a ball? If this is the case, then this requires knowledge of what that mount is rated at. I would not exceed that at all. I was talking about a ball mount that was inserted into the hitch receiver on the truck. All of this is however subject to the published rating of whatever mounting system you are talking about. Even in an emergency, I would not exceed the manufacturer's ratings.

Ken
Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
What's in a name?
http://howto.curtmfg.com/Pages/index.cfm.23.html
Old 12-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I have been towing "one the ball" for 2.5 years and over 15,000 miles, I would not go back to a WD sway control hitch. I have a 30' Classic PV is a Silverado 1500. Top speed should be 65 and a 60 down a steep hill. We have traveled coast to coast including some very steep grades in the west with no trouble. Once on a real windy day going down hill at 65 I had some sway, I put the trailer brakes on gently and slowed to 60 and the sway stopped. I feel I loose that extra weight, trouble hitching up and cost.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

..... Larry, got any video or pic's of your set-up, we're ready to lern.

DDT I ever herd of.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote