Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Aage -
Great looking rig you have there. Did you mention what gas mileage you get?
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Aage -
Great looking rig you have there. Did you mention what gas mileage you get?
Thanks! We like Henri a lot.

Nope, I didn't, for two reasons:
  1. We decided that whatever it is, we were going to go anyways
  2. I didn't calculate it.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Some suggestions for happy towing:

Low profile tires will reduce sway, improve stability, and in effect, lower your gearing. Get the same size tires but if your standard tires are 70 series get 60, if you have 60 get 50

A trans cooler will make your trans last longer, and be more reliable. A change to synthetic fluid won't hurt.

A really good hitch, sway control, and brake control for safety and peace of mind. You never know when an emergency may pop up.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilrivet View Post
We tow our 25' Classic with our '08 T&C / 3.8 / 6 spd with very few issues other than comments from individuals that are convinced we can't do it. Proper weight distribution hook up and good tires are the key. You won't be the fastest on the roads but staying in the truck lane is ok. You should look at the hp rating and torque of 3rd gear in your 3.3 but with some confidence you should be ok
Does your '08 T&C 3.8 6 speed have the factory installed tow prep package including increased trans cooling, engine cooling, and suspension components? We are looking at similar vans to tow our '64 Bambi II and have been told/researched that the tow prep package gives the vans a tow rating of 3600 lbs. but it seems like many of you are doing well towing possibly without it.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Here's a photo of our 1974 31' Sovereign and our tow vehicle, a 2007 Ford Freestar. The Freestar has a tough transmission and a 4.2L V6 engine, and can tow Henri the Sov about anywhere.

We went to Florida and back, stopping at the AS factory in Jackson Center, OH on the way down AND back, got to my brother's place in Atlanta, saw my wife's sister where she lives not far from Orlando, and spent a week in an RV park, with Henri parked over looking the Santa Rosa Sound in the Florida Panhandle.

A trip of over 4,000 miles, and the worst thing that happened was that Henri's WH sprang a leak and needed replacing.

Of course, we DO have a WD hitch, set up by Andrew_T of Can-Am RV...

what was your vehicle rated for? and whats the gvwr of that airstream you have? im thinking about using a 2008 dodge grand caravan with the 3.3.. i looked up general specvs and it says for yours right around 3,200..
shadeemry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The '74 and '75 AS TTs are about identical, IIRC. Ours was set up by Can-Am in London, ON, and the Grand Caravan with the 6-speed transmission was another vehicle Andy mentioned they have done a lot hitch work on for trailers like yours and mine.

You should talk to him though, not me. I just drive it.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflys View Post
Thanks for the in info. The Airstream and Caravan have been put to bed for the winter. We are heading to FLA later this month but the AS is is not going. The Caravel will be heading to Frank's Trailer Works in Baltimore for re-buffing and seam sealing. I had a new axle installed this year and it towing like a dream. I have not got a WD hitch yet. I'm still on the fence.

Ace in PA

Can't tell you how much I enjoy this thread for its thoughtful presentation of information and great pictures.
I pulled a Volkswagon Jetta across the U.S. and back between duty stations using a Grand Voyager. I was delighted with the "Little Engine That Could" performance.
Now, please get off the fence get a weight distribution hitch for even better performance and safety.
You won't need a Hensley or a ProPride.
An Equalizer or a Reese will be fine.
MaxTow has so eloquently explained why you must do this, I won't try to offer any more compelling information. Just do it, please, in the name of risk management.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Here's a photo of our 1974 31' Sovereign and our tow vehicle, a 2007 Ford Freestar. The Freestar has a tough transmission and a 4.2L V6 engine, and can tow Henri the Sov about anywhere.

We went to Florida and back, stopping at the AS factory in Jackson Center, OH on the way down AND back, got to my brother's place in Atlanta, saw my wife's sister where she lives not far from Orlando, and spent a week in an RV park, with Henri parked over looking the Santa Rosa Sound in the Florida Panhandle.

A trip of over 4,000 miles, and the worst thing that happened was that Henri's WH sprang a leak and needed replacing.

Of course, we DO have a WD hitch, set up by Andrew_T of Can-Am RV...
Goodness me, I missed that lovely photo. We did a similar trip to you with the Sienna and the 28' International. Down to Orlando on the I75 (stopping at some great places), then back via New Orleans and my uncle's place in Knoxville. We also called in at Jackson Center on the way home, which was an experience.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Goodness me, I missed that lovely photo. We did a similar trip to you with the Sienna and the 28' International. Down to Orlando on the I75 (stopping at some great places), then back via New Orleans and my uncle's place in Knoxville. We also called in at Jackson Center on the way home, which was an experience.
Oh, and all we had was a slow flat on the Sienna, repaired in Knoxville for the grand sum of $8!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
Can't tell you how much I enjoy this thread for its thoughtful presentation of information and great pictures.
I pulled a Volkswagon Jetta across the U.S. and back between duty stations using a Grand Voyager. I was delighted with the "Little Engine That Could" performance.
Now, please get off the fence get a weight distribution hitch for even better performance and safety.
You won't need a Hensley or a ProPride.
An Equalizer or a Reese will be fine.
MaxTow has so eloquently explained why you must do this, I won't try to offer any more compelling information. Just do it, please, in the name of risk management.
Well thanks for the kind words. I must say I'm still on the fence. I'm afraid a WD hitch will put unwanted stress to the all orig frame of my Caraval. Plus the stress to the Caravan's uni body. I leaning towards air bags and new SUV type tires. Please remember I'm not a newbie. I have 30 years of towing under my belt.

Here is a link for the tires I'm thinking about.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ml#post1171824

Ace in PA

TAC PA-1
WBCCI 2169
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
You are thinking of the Firestone Destinations correct?
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
For my tow vehicles, I prefer Michelins.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Midland , Ontario
Thumbs up Towing with a 08 T&C

Ace, as others have said Andy T at Can Am is the towing expert. He set us up. We have an '08 T&C van, 3.8, 6 spd trans hooked up to a 25' 1996 Classic and have had absolutely no issues. You'll need good tires, a WD system, perhaps some anti sway bars. Our 6 spd trans has an advantage over your 4 spd but other than that you're good to go.
Good luck
Aprilrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Towing Update

I have been towing with my 09 Grand Caravan for 2 years. I have been very happy overall. The ride is smooth and the gas mileage ranges from 12-17 mpg. The only issue is that I don't like to use the cruise on any hilly roads. It downshifts too much and makes me worried I'll overheat the transaxle. I just came back from The Bash. The van was loaded with my Trail 70 and 3 loaded coolers and tons of camping gear. The Caravel was not carrying much. I ran 70-75 mph the whole way with AC running and got 13.5 mpg on the 160 round trip. I do not use a WD hitch. I'm still very pleased with my Dodge as my tow rig.

Ace In PA

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0835.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	215839Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	215840
Old 07-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #35
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
To me, the first (left) photo clearly shows that you need a WD hitch.

You are removing needed weight from your front wheels. This is dangerous. Did you notice any tendency to wheelspin when starting off from a complete stop?

Please get a professional to help you with the setup.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
To me, the first (left) photo clearly shows that you need a WD hitch.

You are removing needed weight from your front wheels. This is dangerous. Did you notice any tendency to wheelspin when starting off from a complete stop?

Please get a professional to help you with the setup.
Aage thank you for your input. I am will in the spec for my van to be towing my Caravel. My trailer weighs under 2500 lbs and the tongue weight is around 260 lbs. My van is rated to tow 4000 lbs. and a tongue weight limit of 400 lbs. After consulting Andy I have installed a reinforced class 4 hitch and lower profile SUV tires. I have had no tire spin or steering problems. As I have stated before I'm choosing not to use a WD system because I do not want to over stress the lighter duty frame my Carvel was built on.

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro