Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Tape the daylights out of the door. It is very painful to fix, and since you say the wind has been blowing it open, just think what 60mph down the highway will do. Heavy, wide, good quality duct tape onto dry metal will be best; also the door jamb ideas might work, but only in addition to, not instead of.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Ann Arbor , Michigan
I think the windows should be duct taped too. Better safe than sorry. A friend here had some if that expensive hard to replace glass fall out while he happened to he close enough to catch it.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Hey, wabbitteer, too funny! Actually there is a gash in the belly skin on the street side-- it's maybe a foot long... So mouse nests really could end up on the freeway!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Thank you, everyone for the great advice! Powool I am definitely going to tape that door. It will be easy enough to remove later, and is so worth the peace of mind. Speaking of that... Had some photos emailed to me earlier, and it's heartbreaking what rain can do to- the wheels have really rusted, so now I'm having heart palpitations imagining my frame! I wish I could blame this on a prior owner. I'm kicking myself hard right now.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
This is what I always put in my door just to be safe. It is a 3/4" plywood "F" cut out. It goes through the grab.

Tony
Rogue River Oregon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9469-1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	177792  
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Our frame was rusted, 2 or 3 outriggers damaged, rear perimeter (bathroom) floor was actually totally gone, and bathroom floor was so spongy that you felt like you were going through it when you walked in there. We lost the rear part of the bellypan somewheres in road construction on the trip home (2ft section wide). Kept the rest of the mouse nests though. She still towed home just fine. We had no locks on our hatches so we gorilla taped everything. Stronger than duct tape. Door did latch but we taped it shut too and it kept all the rain we ran through out. Tape well! Oh, and did I mention that the axles were shot? My worry would be the door and I would spend some time on securing it however you can. Good luck!

Kay
Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
At the very least if they are split rims based on the vintage have those changed before you tow and new tires. 750 miles can easily be done in a day...but towing to protect and baby an AS could take 3 days. Also be careful sometimes with the Duct tape. Sometimes that stuff sticks so well that when you take it off the panel it can sometimes deform the aluminum if you don't pull slowly. plus its a pain to clean off the residue if you don't have proper chemicals to clean up. Anyway. Let us know what you decide...keep asking questions as there have been tons of rescues done here. Some with problems but most likely a lot without because of careful planning and patience. and patience is key!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protohyp View Post
Also be careful sometimes with the Duct tape.
I second that.
Take it off as soon as you get it home or you will regret it.
(Ask me how I know this!)

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Duly noted re: the duct tape. I will get it off first thing!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can I tell if I have split rims? I know they were used on a '57, but is it likely they were never changed out? Especially considering the safety concerns?

Great, something else to worry about!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum75 View Post
Duly noted re: the duct tape. I will get it off first thing!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can I tell if I have split rims? I know they were used on a '57, but is it likely they were never changed out? Especially considering the safety concerns?

Great, something else to worry about!
This is a split rim, the piece part way off is the part to look for.
picture from this site. http://www.4wdonline.com/Wheels/Split.html
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Duct tape! Never again!

I know it's better than having your door fly open. But if you can come up with another way...do it! I used a few strips of duct tape over Christmas to tape some led Xmas lights on the outside. Unfortunately they all let loose of the wires, but stayed firmly onto the AS skin of my fairly new 2012 Sport 16. I removed the tape and managed to find enough edges to just let the lights hang onto the AS without tape. After Christmas I set about removing the tape residue from the AS skin. After trying several different methods I found that alternating alcohol and Walbernize was the only workable method without destroying the finish. A few hours later I managed to rub off the dozen or so places were I had put short strips of tape.

If you use duct tape you will have a lot of work to do cleaning it off. One advantage for you is that you probably don't have any clearcoat to worry about, so maybe you can just buff it off.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I have found that 3M packaging tape works well and doesn't leave much if any residue.

Amazon.com: 3M Scotch Packaging and Mailing Tape, 2-Inch by 800-Inch, 6-Pack (347): Home Improvement
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
This is what I always put in my door just to be safe. It is a 3/4" plywood "F" cut out. It goes through the grab.

Tony
Rogue River Oregon
Great idea Tony~ but unfortunately, my trailer doesn't have a grab handle. It seems like a good idea, guess they hadn't come up with it yet in 1957... So it looks like I'm going with tape, and lots of it!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
This is a split rim, the piece part way off is the part to look for.
picture from this site. Split Rims
So, with the wheel off it seems easy enough to tell. But is there an obvious visible separation when the wheel is on the trailer?

Is it dangerous to have a split rim when servicing the trailer running gear, or is it dangerous on the road (or all of the above)?