Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
At the very least if they are split rims based on the vintage have those changed before you tow and new tires. 750 miles can easily be done in a day...but towing to protect and baby an AS could take 3 days. Also be careful sometimes with the Duct tape. Sometimes that stuff sticks so well that when you take it off the panel it can sometimes deform the aluminum if you don't pull slowly. plus its a pain to clean off the residue if you don't have proper chemicals to clean up. Anyway. Let us know what you decide...keep asking questions as there have been tons of rescues done here. Some with problems but most likely a lot without because of careful planning and patience. and patience is key!
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protohyp View Post
Also be careful sometimes with the Duct tape.
I second that.
Take it off as soon as you get it home or you will regret it.
(Ask me how I know this!)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Duly noted re: the duct tape. I will get it off first thing!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can I tell if I have split rims? I know they were used on a '57, but is it likely they were never changed out? Especially considering the safety concerns?

Great, something else to worry about!
Sum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum75 View Post
Duly noted re: the duct tape. I will get it off first thing!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can I tell if I have split rims? I know they were used on a '57, but is it likely they were never changed out? Especially considering the safety concerns?

Great, something else to worry about!
This is a split rim, the piece part way off is the part to look for.
picture from this site. http://www.4wdonline.com/Wheels/Split.html
Attached Images

Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Duct tape! Never again!

I know it's better than having your door fly open. But if you can come up with another way...do it! I used a few strips of duct tape over Christmas to tape some led Xmas lights on the outside. Unfortunately they all let loose of the wires, but stayed firmly onto the AS skin of my fairly new 2012 Sport 16. I removed the tape and managed to find enough edges to just let the lights hang onto the AS without tape. After Christmas I set about removing the tape residue from the AS skin. After trying several different methods I found that alternating alcohol and Walbernize was the only workable method without destroying the finish. A few hours later I managed to rub off the dozen or so places were I had put short strips of tape.

If you use duct tape you will have a lot of work to do cleaning it off. One advantage for you is that you probably don't have any clearcoat to worry about, so maybe you can just buff it off.

Good luck!
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
I have found that 3M packaging tape works well and doesn't leave much if any residue.

Amazon.com: 3M Scotch Packaging and Mailing Tape, 2-Inch by 800-Inch, 6-Pack (347): Home Improvement
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
This is what I always put in my door just to be safe. It is a 3/4" plywood "F" cut out. It goes through the grab.

Tony
Rogue River Oregon
Great idea Tony~ but unfortunately, my trailer doesn't have a grab handle. It seems like a good idea, guess they hadn't come up with it yet in 1957... So it looks like I'm going with tape, and lots of it!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
This is a split rim, the piece part way off is the part to look for.
picture from this site. Split Rims
So, with the wheel off it seems easy enough to tell. But is there an obvious visible separation when the wheel is on the trailer?

Is it dangerous to have a split rim when servicing the trailer running gear, or is it dangerous on the road (or all of the above)?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Thanks, Wazbro, for the packing tape link. I'm going to buy it right now (gotta love Amazon- all hours shopping. Dangerous when you have a big project like an Airstream!)
Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
I know it's better than having your door fly open. But if you can come up with another way...do it! I used a few strips of duct tape over Christmas to tape some led Xmas lights on the outside. Unfortunately they all let loose of the wires, but stayed firmly onto the AS skin of my fairly new 2012 Sport 16. I removed the tape and managed to find enough edges to just let the lights hang onto the AS without tape. After Christmas I set about removing the tape residue from the AS skin. After trying several different methods I found that alternating alcohol and Walbernize was the only workable method without destroying the finish. A few hours later I managed to rub off the dozen or so places were I had put short strips of tape.

If you use duct tape you will have a lot of work to do cleaning it off. One advantage for you is that you probably don't have any clearcoat to worry about, so maybe you can just buff it off.

Good luck!
Well that's a sobering story! Glad your perseverance lead to a damage-free solution. I think I'll take the suggestion to use the low residue packing tape. I'll just use a LOT of it! Do you plan to hang lights next year? Airstreams with lights are awesome! Maybe someday I can dress mine up like that. For now, I think it's in such a state that I want to attract as little attention as possible (hoping my neighbors don't get irritated with me, because it's a bit of an eyesore at the moment ).
Old 01-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
So, with the wheel off it seems easy enough to tell. But is there an obvious visible separation when the wheel is on the trailer?

Is it dangerous to have a split rim when servicing the trailer running gear, or is it dangerous on the road (or all of the above)?
That ring is on the outside of the rim easy to see when on the trailer, there is a small gap in the ring and a seem going around the rim.

99% of the danger is when pumping the tire up to seat the bead after changing the tire. The other 1% is when going down the road, which probably isn't any worse then using 6+ year old ST tires, except your tires might be much more the 6 years old witch would make me worry more then the rims.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
That ring is on the outside of the rim easy to see when on the trailer, there is a small gap in the ring and a seem going around the rim.

99% of the danger is when pumping the tire up to seat the bead after changing the tire. The other 1% is when going down the road, which probably isn't any worse then using 6+ year old ST tires, except your tires might be much more the 6 years old witch would make me worry more then the rims.
Thank you for the information. I just looked at a photo of one of my wheels, and there isn't a gap anywhere that I can see. There is a lot of surface rust on the wheel, so it's hard to say for sure. I wanted to post a picture here, but for some reason I can't figure out how to do it. Can I upload from my computer? It's asking me for an url..
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Here is a good resource...

Preparing for the First Tow Home
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
pictures, please!

Quote:
. I wanted to post a picture here, but for some reason I can't figure out how to do it. Can I upload from my computer? It's asking me for an url..
Yay for pictures! To attach a picture, click on the icon that looks like a paper clip.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Here is a good resource...

Preparing for the First Tow Home

Thank you, Hi Ho. I've read that article before, awesome resource. I have it bookmarked, even! Guess I didn't think to reread it since I won't be the one doing the towing... But I'm going to print it out right now and review. I guess right now I'm just overwhelmed with excitement, anxiety, guilt (about the rust and rot that I am responsible for)... All these emotions, and the travel date is still weeks away. Boy oh boy!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
Yay for pictures! To attach a picture, click on the icon that looks like a paper clip.
D'oh! I feel silly. I was clicking on the icon that looks like a picture. Honest mistake, I suppose! Thank you for setting me straight! Now I just have to wait for my slooow computer! Click image for larger version

Name:	325.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	177837
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Floor rot inside door

Click image for larger version

Name:	328.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	177838I was sent these pictures yesterday. I'm soooo glad that I removed all the cabinet doors and hardware... Everything inside looks so worn and weary. I like the original stuff (original layout, original cabinets, original appliances). I know it's super impractical, but I'd like to restore her to look more or less like she used to!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Interior

I love this fridge. I read somewhere that it's nearly impossible to get parts, so if it isn't working, I guess that's that. I also have the Princess stove. Love, love, love!Click image for larger version

Name:	327.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	177839
Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Well that's a sobering story! Glad your perseverance lead to a damage-free solution. I think I'll take the suggestion to use the low residue packing tape. I'll just use a LOT of it! Do you plan to hang lights next year? Airstreams with lights are awesome! Maybe someday I can dress mine up like that. For now, I think it's in such a state that I want to attract as little attention as possible (hoping my neighbors don't get irritated with me, because it's a bit of an eyesore at the moment ).
Definitely! You should do yours too. It adds a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1225.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	177840  
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Love the Christmas lights!!