Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #1

2014 25' International
corte madera , California
Towing with a Range Rover Sport

Hi everyone, I'm a new Airstream owner. We have a 2014 25ft International. We love it and are very excited to explore and travel around the country. However, I'm suddenly aware of how little I know about towing trailers.
My question is more specific to range Rover and I will post on Range Rover forums but I thought I'd throw this out here anyway. Perhaps someone has experienced this.
When we bought, we had the Airstream dealer speak to Land Rover about what type of towing setup we needed. Based on the appropriate weight info and towing capacity of the vehicle, Land Rover installed their specific Receiver Hitch. That connects to an E2 Equalizer with bars. The Airstream A frame coupler then locked on to the tow ball. We took it out on a 200 mile trip and things seem to work accordingly.
However, on my second trip (to Tahoe) This time after 100 miles, the Land Rover receiver hitch FELL OUT the housing. The towing unit dropped to the ground and everything ground to a halt!!!!!!! Fortunately the chains prevented a complete detachment.
We had just left a gas station and were only traveling at 5mph. No-one was hurt.

We contacted the Land Rover dealer in Sacramento. Left the Airstream behind and drove to Sac'to to get a new receiver hitch installed. They claimed they had never heard of this happening and that the hitch must have had a defective lock.
With a new one fitted we drove back and re-hitched up the trailer. After much checking and stopping and re-checking we set off again. This time we had gone about 40 miles when -------- it fell out again!!!!!!!!!!!! The new one, that had been installed by the dealership!!!!!
We were on a narrow winding road an only traveling at 15 mph. Again no-one hurt.
With no cellphone coverage to call for help, we felt we had to move it to safety to we uncoupled everything, put everything back together and towed another 3 miles to a safe place. As we pulled to a halt- it happened a 3rd time!
We ended up getting the trailer towed back home, 150 miles!!!!!!!
Has anyone ever experienced this ? it's very specific question about a very specific Land Rover part, which I think must be very badly designed and not capable of towing a trailer this weight.
If nothing else I just want to put the warning out there.
thanks
phil
philian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Philian,

Do you have pictures that you can post of the failed hitch?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Your experience is highly unusual (thankfully!)

I am no Range Rover expert so I won't be able to comment specifically on that brand of vehicle, but it would seem to me that your Range Rover dealer on the other hand is no expert on towing! The Range Rover should be able to tow your 25 foot unit without dropping the hitch. WTF???

I would seek out a company in your area that specializes in installing hitches on trucks (and cars) and go from there. It's not surprising that the Range Rover dealer is not experienced in towing with Range Rovers since I would bet that 99.99% of Range Rovers never actually get used for towing.

Good luck and get this thing resolved before you plan your next trip!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by philian View Post
the Land Rover receiver hitch FELL OUT the housing.
phil
Are you saying that the "stinger", the square shaft with the hitch ball on it came out of the receiver (the square tube attached to the Land Rover)?
Old 07-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Pictures would be very helpful to clarify the situation. I am guessing that the pin securing the ball mount to the receiver is what was falling out (which is easily remedied). On the other hand if the receiver hitch itself is coming off the vehicle that is an entirely different and far more serious problem.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
There is a pin that should go through the tow vehicle receiver, which will go through the "stinger" and come out the other side. That should be secured with a locking pin. I'm guessing the clip pin is missing. Photos would be key. Glad no one was hurt but you need to sort this ASAP. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

raleigh , California
It has happened to more people and no it is not the 'clip'. You need to get an aftermatket hitch from for example Curt and have this installed professionally and welded to the frame. The receiver hitch by LR can't handle the tongue weight. With the proper hitch, the LR is a great tow vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
NCstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Andy T has talked about this happening with some hitches, typically at low speeds. NCstreamer has the correct solution.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCstreamer View Post
It has happened to more people and no it is not the 'clip'. You need to get an aftermatket hitch from for example Curt and have this installed professionally and welded to the frame. The receiver hitch by LR can't handle the tongue weight. With the proper hitch, the LR is a great tow vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Holy crap! How does LR recommend such a thing if it doesn't work???
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
The traditional Landrover hitch is detachable so that nothing is visible when it is removed. The vertical socket accepts a 'swan neck' with a ball on the end, or a 2" receiver, after which it is the normal North American connection with a stinger, etc.

Sounds like it fell out of the Landrover socket. If it happens once it could be a bad retaining lock. If it happens more than once it sounds like a bad socket for the removable tow receiver, something the dealer should have caught the first time it came apart. Or perhaps it was never latched properly.

Solving the problem requires a diagnosis before anything else.

Or, the OP could install a fixed receiver from the aftermarket, as recommended above.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
The traditional Landrover hitch is detachable so that nothing is visible when it is removed.
Sounds like a bad idea in the name of vanity. And hardly "traditional"- it wasn't that way on my 1967, 1970 or 1995 Land Rovers.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #12

2014 25' International
Thanks for responding everyone. I'm putting together some pictures of the problem and I'll post them today.

Phil
Old 07-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #13

2014 25' International
photos

Thanks to everyone for their concern. For legal reasons I don't want to go into detail.
Here is a photo of the entire towing assembly that was on the ground. Note that the tow ball is still secured to the Airstream Hitch and the "Stinger" is still attached to the Receiver hitch. It's the Reciver Hitch that detached from the appropriate slot on the back of the vehicle.

phil
Old 07-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Sounds like a bad idea in the name of vanity. And hardly "traditional"- it wasn't that way on my 1967, 1970 or 1995 Land Rovers.
I don't think it is just vanity, although it may be for some. Saves damage in parking lots, and prevents the rear park distance sensors from going off when they sense the hitch ball or receiver.

Westfalia list that they introduced it in 1966. Not sure when Landrover started using that style. My Discovery didn't have one in 2000.

I am guessing that you would not be a fan of the newer (since 2002) electrically activated ones, used by BMW and others. Completely hidden when retracted. Ford is even offering it factory installed on the Focus, in Europe.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I don't think it is just vanity, although it may be for some.
Vanity on the part of the auto designer. Why else would they want to hide it?

Quote:
Saves damage in parking lots,
Funny, my wife leaves the stinger and ball on her car all the time. Parking lot knuckleheads hit it rather than her bumper.

Quote:
prevents the rear park distance sensors from going off when they sense the hitch ball or receiver.
Haven't experienced that problem with mine.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I owned a Range Rover Sport and loved it. I'll never own another one...too many(expensive) problems. IMHO if you want to enjoy your Airstream, ditch the Range Rover and buy a Chevy, Ford, Ram or Tundra; you'll be much happier in the long run.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1422107769.801072.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	231007 We love our 25' Airstream and Range Rover Sport!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:33 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Size Matters

It is amazing to me the folks that want to tow trailers with toys you are not only risking your life but the folks around you

Keep the you SUV'S for touring the jungle and buy a truck to tow your trailer
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I am betting that the Range Rover weighs in excess of 4,500 pounds, and I am amazed with the number of people who are certain that there is no other way to tow an Airstream except with a 9,000 pound HD Diesel.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
Your lumping in all SUV's in the same category. The published tow rating in 2011 Guide to Towing by Trailer Life Magazine for our Range Rover Sport:

Range Rover Sport7716

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote