Old 09-20-2019, 10:21 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spruce , Michigan
Towing with a Colorado

I had a 2017 Canyon Diesel and a 23FB with wd hitch. Towed the trailer without the wd hitch from Grand Rapids to northern Michigan just on the ball. Truck had plenty of pulling power but the empty trailer would have mild tendency to walk. My wife and I took it to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan to do a test run before a trip for 6 months starting in October. We found when we put water in the fresh water tank, she tracked straight behind the truck and we had plenty of horsepower to pull through any incline and the jake brake worked very well. As we were coming back on the three hour trip, my wife commented on the porposing (pushing from the rear when we traveled over unlevel road surfaces. It made her uneasy. Stopped and looked at some diesel 3/4 ton GMC’s and she said she would feel more comfortable going through the mountains and traveling across the southern US from October through April with a larger truck. Bottom line, great deals on 2019 3/4 tons in September and we ended up with a new 3/4 ton GMC diesel similar to the 2003 we used to have. Now pulling is without drama and there is no pushing from behind. The truck and trailer with the Canyon were closely matched in weight and in my opinion, having a beast pulling the trailer means that you never feel uneasy. Loved the Canyon and the fuel economy and size, but the 23 is right on the edge, in my opinion. Interesting, the milage with the big diesel pulling the trailer is very nearly the same as the Canyon due to the greater mass, torque and horsepower of the 3/4 ton as I see it. Hope this helps.

Bauerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Just thought of one more thing. We usually traveled with a nearly full fresh water tank, so no problems there, however for part of one leg of our trip we had a full grey water and half full black water tank, and for the first and only time we felt a slight "porpoising" going through some sections of road. It was not too bad, but I think that is another indication that the FC20 is fine but near the limit for comfortable towing with the Colorado/Canyon.

SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #23
GreenEyedTadpole

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2008 25' Classic
2005 31' Classic
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Hartwell , Georgia
We've, as I hear Chief's voice saying "What's this WE stuff?" , have always felt most comfortable with more truck than recommended per the specs. Chief says "it ain't the pulling it that's a problem, it's stopping the thing". Currently, we pull our 2019 19CB FC with a 2019 Ford F-350 4x4 gas motor. It might be overkill to some but going up and down the mountains we don't even know its there. There's no pushing by the trailer and the truck handles downshifting so constant braking isn't necessary. None of those "Ohhhh!" moments. Hope this co-pilot's opinion helps.
GreenEyedTadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by drano View Post
Anyone towing a Flying Cloud with a 3.6 V6 Colorado? We are newbies. The numbers work out all the way around for the truck and the combined truck & camper but I am concerned about margin and hill country. Looks like few people tow anything but boats and motorcycles with Colorados.
We tow our Airstream with ours. It has plenty of power, and I am able to maintain the speed limit within reason on all but the steepest grades. Our trailer weighs 5200 pounds.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #25

2018 Basecamp
Bullhead City , Arizona
I have a 2016 Colorado with V6 and I am towing a Basecamp. On the flat it is no trouble, but climbing hills is a bit of a a problem. Anything over a 5% grade and I am going about 45.
sciggy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:50 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciggy87 View Post
I have a 2016 Colorado with V6 and I am towing a Basecamp. On the flat it is no trouble, but climbing hills is a bit of a a problem. Anything over a 5% grade and I am going about 45.
From your comment, sounds like you must have the 4 cylinder gas engine and your Basecamp at 3500 lbs is right at the towing limit for that configuration. I see you say V6 but that can't be right is it? If it is then you might want to get it checked out as it seems unusually down on power.

SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote