Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
TwinPower

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Towing with a 2012/2013 Toyota Highlander with Tow Package

My first post....of hopefully many....to the AS Forum! I have been all over this site reading about tow vehicles.....and I can already tell this can be a "hot button" topic, but hope to phrase my question in a way to get some help! Our family just recently purchased a 2007 Airstream Bambi International. We put the cart (or the AS) before the horse a bit as we do not have a vehicle capable of towing at this time. Borrowing a truck to go and get her next weekend from NC (we are in OH).

We have been scoping out tow vehicles, and have considered the Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Higlander and the Tahoe. We currently have a 2005 Highlander, that we love and has been great to us, reason we are seriously considering a new Highlander as the new models have a towing capacity of 5000#. We are a young family with twin girls that turn 5 soon, and they idea of riding any distance in a pickup (even crewcab) with them (and sometimes our dog) just doesn't sound appealing. I understand that the Tahoe is much beefier, and wouldn't be an issue with towing, but it is also much pricier, and I'm a little turned off that the 3rd row seats do not fold down like in my current Highlander and Honda Oddysey, instead they must be removed/stored if you are not using (which we wouldn't be much). We can have all the bells and whistles and comforts (entertainment system) with the new Highlander for a much cheaper pricetag. Not to mention, the value holds (IMO) better on the Toyota's than on the Tahoe. If money were no issue, I would love to own the Sequoia BTW Another thing I am considering during this selection process, is what we will be spending on gas when we are not using the vehicle to tow. Our goal is to get out several times a year, but that leaves a lot of time where we will not be gone in our AS, and I would love not to be paying through the teeth during our "off" times.

All of that said, I am looking for specific feedback on anyone currently towing a 19' AS with a new Toyota Highlander (towing capacity 5000#) with success or failure?

I really wish we could try before we buy. A vehicle is such a large investment, I hate the thought of buying something so major and being disappointed!
leahrumbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Not a Highlander, but I do have a Toyota FJ Cruiser, which I think uses the same 4.0L V6 engine, and I tow a 17' Casita with it. The Casita is about 3500 pounds loaded, and the Cruiser does a good job with it. However, I know the 19' Bambi would be significantly more load than the Casita. You may do OK with the Highlander if you stay close to home and avoid the mountains in the West.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Everett , Washington
We don't have a bambi, but we do have a 20ft vintage trailer and an 2012 Highlander with tow package (limited). While I can't answer your questions directly I can tell you a few things. fully loaded our trailer weighs around 3300# (I would guess that is much much less than your bambi), however the highlander pulls this no problem. I would be leery of towing any trailer that is within about 5% of the tow vehicles weight or over. Se even though the Highlander is rated for 5000# I wouldn't go there for very long.
One thing to note. The tow package on the highlander as you may know includes many nifty features like larger alternators, fans, trans cooler, etc. What they don't really mention is that is doesn't include the receiver or 7-pin wiring. if you go OE on the receiver, that will be another $700+ if you install it your self. The wiring that plugs into the tow package is only for a flat 4 pin setup. You will also have to add extra wiring and a new plug to get a 7-pin connector. Your going to have to run wires anyway for a brake controller. You can save alot of money by getting an after market receiver, but they install below the bumper and are kind of ugly in my opinion. I installed the OE one myself.
We get about 18 city and 27 highway MPG on our highlander (not towing)

head over to toyotanation.com and check out the 2nd generation highlander forums. There has been long discussions on towing in there.

Aaron
Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Your 2005 Highlander will work fine. Why not use it for a bit so you get a feel for towing the new trailer. Then in a year or two consider a new TV.

The Toyota Sienna and Buick Enclave are both proven performers for towing Airstreams that would be suitable for a family like yours.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't have the numbers on an '07 19' Bambi, but an '02 one had a GWVR of 4,500 lbs. Some will recommend going 20% below the rating, but that seems to me to be "conventional [thus, unproven] wisdom".

I assume you are talking about the conventional, not the hybrid, Highlander. It is basically the station wagon version of the Camry. I prefer a truck like the 4Runner, but it is the same V6 engine. Toyota has made this engine for around 20 years and constantly refined it and increased hp and torque. It is a a very reliable and responsive engine. My guess is it will tow adequately, though pretty slowly on mountain grades. I'd compare brakes for the Highlander, 4Runner and Tundra—I am not sure the Highlander has big enough brakes for downgrades in the west.

Pickup trucks are not as uncomfortable as they once were. You can get leather and all that if you want, but the cloth seats in a Tundra are ok. We put sheepskins on them to make them better. Truck suspension is not as smooth as a car or station wagon, but we find our Toyota trucks to ride well. The double cab Tundra is pretty big in the back and the crew cab is really big. The Sequoia is a Tundra with a softer suspension and an SUV body.

Make sure you get OEM tow mirrors on whatever you buy. I have read some tow packages do not include them for reasons I can't understand.

If you are happy with your '05, maybe you should keep it for a daily driver, and find an older Tundra for a tow vehicle. It was '07 when they made them really bigger and put the giant V8 (5.7 L) in them. You could look at Tacomas—the newer ones are pretty much like the pre-'07 Tundras. I'm not sure the newer Tacomas offer the 4.6 L. V8, but that may work too.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
TwinPower

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Thanks Crawford Gene. The 19' Bambi is 4500 GWVR. I am talking about the conventional, not the hybrid. It isn't so much the leather I am worried about, but no truck that I have looked at has the entertainment package (DVD/TV) and that comes in very handy for us. We only use it on long trips, but when we do, it is a lifesaver I know I could get handheld dvd players, or even use iPads, but there are inconviences that come with those. And the inside storage/room in a truck just isn't what you get in an SUV.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
TwinPower

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Road Ruler, does the Sienna need modified to pull an Airstream Bambi??
Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I thought I read somewhere the 2013 Tundra has a DVD package. Check the Toyota website.

We have a tonneau over the truck bed and a lot of dirty things get stored there—hitch head and bars when unhitched, gas can, generator, sewer stuff in a big plastic box, etc. While I know people take gasoline in the back of an SUV, it is not something I like doing.

Gene
Old 10-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahrumbarge View Post
Road Ruler, does the Sienna need modified to pull an Airstream Bambi??
I suspect it may need the factory receiver to be beefed up.

For years we towed our 23' with a 93 Nissan van. Other than the usual, brake controller, tranny cooler, and WDH it needed the class III receiver to be strengthened.

You should send a note to forum member MrUKToad. He tows a 27' Classic with his Sienna and knows the fine details.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Is your Bambi 19 GVWR 4500 and have you taken it to a scale? Check the manual for your T-
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
I suspect it may need the factory receiver to be beefed up.

For years we towed our 23' with a 93 Nissan van. Other than the usual, brake controller, tranny cooler, and WDH it needed the class III receiver to be strengthened.

You should send a note to forum member MrUKToad. He tows a 27' Classic with his Sienna and knows the fine details.
Keep up Mr Road Ruler, 'tis a 28' International!

Yes it's modified - Hidden Hitch receiver off the shelf but Can-Am added some steel L-section members that are welded on behind the receiver box and bolted to the car close to the rear axle. This adds rigidity to counter the torque from the weight distribution system but more importantly, helps transfer weight cleanly to the front axles. Can-Am also added a transmission oil cooler and a brake controller as well as the Eaz-Lift hitch, bars and friction sway control.

For us it's a very workable set up.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
So, the CanAm thing has come up. Leah', if you haven't noticed, a number of people tow with cars and minivans that have been adapted by CanAm in London, Ont. They all are pleased and there are no reports on the Forum of problems because of CanAm's work. Call them and talk to owner Andy posts here sometimes and writes articles for Airstream Life on towing. He appears to be generous with his time for people with questions about tow vehicles. And you don't live far from London.

I don't have an opinion about this approach. I don't have to because we use a pickup a lot for picking up things and a truck is easier for me to get in and out of because of back problems (maybe Andy could fix my back?). For towing up and down mountains here, a lot of torque and big brakes are also important.

If we wanted a lighter vehicle, I'd probably look into what CanAm does.

Gene
Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
So, the CanAm thing has come up. Leah', if you haven't noticed, a number of people tow with cars and minivans that have been adapted by CanAm in London, Ont. They all are pleased and there are no reports on the Forum of problems because of CanAm's work. Call them and talk to owner Andy posts here sometimes and writes articles for Airstream Life on towing. He appears to be generous with his time for people with questions about tow vehicles. And you don't live far from London.

Gene
Just flying the flag for "The Other Way", Gene

I'd never want to dissuade people from towing with their trucks if that's what suits them, I just like to remind people that properly set up, there are alternatives.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Leah, Road Ruler already mentioned the Buick Enclave, but since you indicated price is an issue you might also consider a Chevy Traverse (essentially the same model as the Enclave and GMC Acadia, but cheaper). Can-Am RV did an excellent job setting mine up. It tows my 25' Safari like the wind...has more power and handles much better than my old 2001 Yukon.

See my story here...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...rse-91344.html

Whatever you choose, good luck and enjoy your new Bambi!
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Leah, Road Ruler already mentioned the Buick Enclave, but since you indicated price is an issue you might also consider a Chevy Traverse (essentially the same model as the Enclave and GMC Acadia, but cheaper). Can-Am RV did an excellent job setting mine up. It tows my 25' Safari like the wind...has more power and handles much better than my old 2001 Yukon.

See my story here...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...rse-91344.html

Whatever you choose, good luck and enjoy your new Bambi!
The best match of tow vehicle and trailer is where the TV best suits the owner for solo miles and can also tow the trailer. Too much TV is not better despite assertions to the contrary (spending too much for too little in return). Spec the TV for both jobs. The linked thread is a great description where it is done right.

Much of the point of an aerodynamic, low ground clearance, independent-suspension trailer like an Airstream is that it is a better all-around performer (less HP to travel the same speed, less affected by winds, less susceptible to tripping hazards) than a conventional travel trailer and can be towed by a wider variety of vehicles. Built better, lasts longer, performs better. The "proper" TV will more closely fit what the owner needs in solo miles, thusly. A good match is everything.

Expand your choices. A HONDA Odyssey is another for consideration. So are any of a number of cars.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Keep up Mr Road Ruler, 'tis a 28' International!
A 28' MrUKToad! What are you feeding that Stream??
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
TwinPower

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
We ended up with an end of year special and a 2012 GMC Yukon that has an intergrated brake controller, rear back-up camera, and rear entertainment to be sure I think we are all set!! Just didn't want to chance towing with something too close to the towing capacity! And a deal we couldn't pass up! Thanks all!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahrumbarge View Post
We ended up with an end of year special and a 2012 GMC Yukon that has an intergrated brake controller, rear back-up camera, and rear entertainment to be sure I think we are all set!! Just didn't want to chance towing with something too close to the towing capacity! And a deal we couldn't pass up! Thanks all!
Thanks for the update - it's good to know that you sorted something out.

Here's a photo of "the other way"

Old 12-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Highlander as TV

We have towed our FC-19 up hills and down. We love it. We hardly notice the AS behind us, except for the width. If you are worried about using a SUV over a pickup or larger SUV, look up the Airstream article last summer about this very issue issue. It compares a Chev. SUV with a Tahoe. You will find that an pickup or larger SUV may not be the best for you.
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Leah', looks like you found a deal that worked for you. Good! Being open to various possibilities and keeping an eye out for bargains is a good plan.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.