Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Long Beach , California
Towing Weight Calculation

Hello all, we are fairly new to Airstreaming and towing in general. I know the topic of towing weight has been beat to death, but I wanted to post this with real numbers that I have for my potential scenario with this combination. I hope this is okay and hope to get responses and feedback. Thank you all, I have learned a lot from this site already!

Just want to make sure I am factoring in all the pieces for the calculation, and if this tow vehicle is safe. Safe, meaning, not minimally safe, but safe with peace of mind. Given the weights below, each total weight works out to be below the GVWR by about close to 700 lbs each; however, the TV GVWR is less than the AS GVWR. In addition, the TV's towing capacity is 7500. Lastly, where does hitch/tongue weight come into play?

Thank you for any help!

Vehicle
Curb Weight 5467
Cargo 300
Hitch+antisway kit 102
Passengers 550
TOTAL 6419
GVWR 7165
Towing cap. 7500

Trailer
Curb weight 5923
Cargo 1000
TOTAL 6923
GVWR 7600
aramirez626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Mostly on the rear axle.

On practically all hookups the first max weight to be busted is the max rear axle weight.

Best to weigh the vehicle, loaded for camping (or as close to it as you can).

Get an actual tongue weight off of the trailer if you can. If actual weight is not available, take the AS published numbers and add at least 100 lbs more.

Add to tongue weight to the actual rear weight of the TV. This number should let you know how close you are to GAW on the rear axle.

Weigh again after you get the trailer, just to confirm.

Sometimes a good Weight Distribution Hitch will help a lot, sometimes not so much. Make sure your vehicle receiver can take a large load if you plan to transfer an appreciable amount of weight.

Unfortunately, accurate measurements can only be obtained after the trailer is hooked up to the tow vehicle.

Hard to convince a potential seller to let you hook up and make a run across a CAT scale.

The results may surprise you.

Please post back with your results.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramirez626 View Post
......snip......
Just want to make sure I am factoring in all the pieces for the calculation, and if this tow vehicle is safe. Safe, meaning, not minimally safe, but safe with peace of mind. Given the weights below, each total weight works out to be below the GVWR by about close to 700 lbs each; however, the TV GVWR is less than the AS GVWR. In addition, the TV's towing capacity is 7500. Lastly, where does hitch/tongue weight come into play?
...... snip....
Two parts I see that you have left out.
(1) tongue weight is payload on the tow vehicle (same as passengers and cargo) - add the real tongue weight, not the manufacturer's stated weight. When you add cargo in front of the trailer axles tongue weight increases.
(2) you have not considered GCWR. (see the tow vehicle's owner manual) Towing capacity decreases as gross weight increases when payload is added. I think your gross combined weight rating (GCWR) will be close, maybe exceeded, with the loads you have listed. (the listed maximum tow rating on most vehicles is with the driver only)
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote