Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #15

2010 19' Flying Cloud
SB , Ca
John, thanks for the reply. Like others on here it is a case of chicken and the egg. For us it is the trailer that has come first, we purchased the 19' Flying Cloud just over a week ago and then questioned how well our current vehicle would tow it. We are extremely excited to join the Airstream community but are hoping it will not sit too long whilst we find a vehicle. As a small family of three we felt the 19' would be good and to be honest we were basing the size partially on what our current vehicle could manage, but in hindsight felt a bigger/stronger vehicle would get us off to a more successful start. Sincerely, Ian

Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
That '19 Flying Cloud is a really nice trailer, thinking new SUV because if you go F-150 or 1500 I would want a topper so stuff in the bed wouldn't get wet and that takes another 200 lbs off your max weight....

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Your MB should work fine ...
Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
The Touareg TDI or the new Grand Cherokee Diesel would be great candidates for your 19' Flying Cloud at 550lbs tongue weight and I would actually suggest you go for the larger 23FB Flying Cloud at 467lbs tongue weight!

Don't worry about the length to wheel base of either SUV vs. the trailer - I had a Pro Pride hitch and towed my 25FB Classic all over the country (mountains, desserts, high winds of the plains, etc.) with great success - the only problem was I couldn't have any other weight then myself, one passenger and my bags in the back of the Airstream with 1/2 filled propane bottles and yea, although it towed like a champ all across the country, in the back of my mind I was always a bit anxious plus so cognizant of my weights (pantry and fridge were packed as the weight was over the axles of the trailer) but never packed anything forward of the axels on the trailer due to the damn tongue weight issues, let alone anything in the SUV other than one passenger - am I repeating myself again?

Both of these SUV's (my Touareg TDI and my new SRT Grand Cherokee) actually have max payload equal to or exceeding most 1/2 ton trucks. In fact, my new daily driver - a 2014 Jeep SRT has more payload than that F-150 EcoBoost Crew Cab had (1209lbs) that I owned for one week (and wanted to use to tow my downsized 27FB as I like the 27FB layout better than my 30 footer) vs. the max payload of the SRT at 1,350lbs which is right around the T-Rex that I towed with...

So, guess what Im saying is go with the 23FB, you can easily tow the weight, less tongue weight and a nice layout for just a few more bucks!!!
A couple of things to note:

1) If you go to the Flying Cloud forum and asks the folks there, you would see that the loaded tongue weight of 23 FB Flying Cloud is around 780# (that's a lot more than the 467# dry tongue weight). As someone noted, you need to also add the weight of the weight distribution hitch (if you are using one). That could be from 50# to 250# depending on the WDH you are using. Hence, you would be needing a hitch that could support 850# to 1050# (again depends on the WDH you are using). This may cause you to run out of payload on your tow vehicle.

2) You can find the actual payload on the sticker on A pillar on the driver side. The figures published by most car companies does NOT include a full tank of gas or any options that you have added to the vehicle (Hence SRT's payload most probably is not 1350#, but less). A simple rule of thumb is to deduct 250# from the published payload for the actual payload (or go with the sticker on A pillar for exact payload).
Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
You can find the actual payload on the sticker on A pillar on the driver side. The figures published by most car companies does NOT include a full tank of gas or any options that you have added to the
Actually - the maxpayload includes a full tank of gas but does not include the "150" pounds for the driver (some folks make this claim) - as already stated, such in use with a pickup truck - add a shell, tonneau cover, heaver rims, all such options subtract from this "maxpayload" of the vehicle as configured when it rolled off of the assembly line.

Where is that "beating a dead horse" icon - I need to use it on my posts...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Actually - the maxpayload includes a full tank of gas but does not include the "150" pounds for the driver (some folks make this claim) - as already stated, such in use with a pickup truck - add a shell, tonneau cover, heaver rims, all such options subtract from this "maxpayload" of the vehicle as configured when it rolled off of the assembly line.

Where is that "beating a dead horse" icon - I need to use it on my posts...

I guess since there is not a standard way by which the car companies calculate the payload, it would be the safest to go with the A pillar sticker (Not the numbers at company websites/etc).