Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
TV weight vs trailer

I have a 2013 4Runner towing a Sport 16 - WD is all about the weight of the two vehicle vs the trailer. If the TV weighs more or a lot more, then you don't really need a wd hitch. I've towed 5,000 miles over the last 6 months on mountain roads and in desert sand storms in the desert. Never had a problem or felt I was losing control.
CalifBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #22
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
No! Use a hitch design that provides a soft connection while providing sway control without the use of heavy weight spring bars.

You have enough experience to know that you can tow on the ball if you are reasonably conservative. However, a light application of weight distribution can balance the rig and provide stability if a wheel drops off the pavement, you swerve to miss a large chunk of tire tread, or the rig gets hit by a massive gust of wind.

Whatever you decide maintain an attentive focus on driving and be conservative. Enjoy the smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #23
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
You are more qualified than I am based on your quick bio but...
We went in the other direction with our Bambi.
Started with an Equalizer and ultimately switched to a Hensley Cub.
The difference in the way the trailer tows is remarkable! We tow about 10,000 miles a year and I love the ppp hitch. The other advantage is the ability to dial in weight distribution with the jacks... It's not all or nothing, just the amount you need.
I've always wondered if the smaller Airstreams were in fact less stable towing than their longer siblings...that certainly seems to be the case when backing up!

Towing with the Hensley is simply far more relaxing than towing with the Equalizer no matter how I adjusted things on that hitch.

Can't say I'd want to tow without sway control or weight distribution...

Bruce
Matt -

Another very satisfied Hensley Cub owner here with a shortish `60 Avion T20 (OA 20'-6" not counting the Cub) singe axle & agree with the above.

We got the Cub because the T20 was an "E-ticket ride" when towing with rental comparable sized 2012 Nissan Pathfinder - especially over 55 mph!!

We were planning to eventually get your Treg's cousin Cayenne S V8, so the Cub at about $1500 in 2013 was well worth the investment, although for WD & Anti-Sway the EZ-Lift, etc. were recco'd as adequate. I like the zero sway, ease of leaving the hed & bars on the trailer when parked, ease of the winder jacks over chains to tension the spring bars, lifetime warranty, etc. of the Cub.

You could probably get lighter bars for your Reese & be fine, or get the Cub ("Baby Arrow") or any other new WD/AS hitch.

You might find this "Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 owners" thread helpful too as a Treg owner, if you've not been on it yet, since you'll get TV specific answers there from fellow owners.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...rs-134917.html

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote