Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 63
Towing Sport 16' with 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon

Hi everybody. I am new to this forum and i plan to have lots of "nubie" questions. I stayed in my first airstream last weekend and love it! I have a VW european that i am not so in love with anymore... So my question is... Has anybody used a jeep Wrangler to tow a Sport 16. I see some people say don't ever tow with a jeep so i would like any advice. I also have my daily driver a BMW X5 it does not have a hitch and would add one. but that will be a new question

thank you

Brad
__________________

Bradley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,740
I haven’t, but many appear to have done so. A reasonable match to that size of trailer. See this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...er-153096.html

I have towed with an X5. An excellent tow vehicle.
__________________

jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
bono's Avatar
 
Mountain View , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 364
Don't know about Jeep, but BMW X5 is Ultimate Towing Machine

__________________
BMW X5
SOB 33 ft trailer
Propride 1400
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
.-. -...
 
Adventure.AS's Avatar

 
2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,565
Jeep Unlimited with a strengthened hitch receiver makes a fine tow vehicle if your main reason for choosing it is having the Jeep for off-roading etc at your destination. A larger trailer would allow you to take more stuff.
__________________
Ray B.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
Byron Center , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 275
You have the Rubicon, so you have some heavier axles and transfer case if I recall. Might even have a lower final drive gear ratio. Just checked online and the Rubicon has Dana 44’s and a lower final drive. The trailering pack is just a hitch and wiring. The axles are good news for towing. If you have an automatic transmission, you might want to make sure you have a separate cooler for the trans fluid, not the typical in radiator style. The AT tires will throw some rocks and gravel at your sport, and the sport doesn’t have rock deflectors (there’s another thread on that topic and how to get them/wait for them). You’ll want to consider some sort of protection, like a rock tamer. You’ll probably need a brake controller, too.

The BMW would make good TV, too. Hitches aren’t a big deal to install. Trailer wiring is another story. Not hard; just a little more complicated. Q
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 63
Thank you everybody for your help! I think i am going to add a hitch to the BMW. Id like to go with the Sport 22 or Flying Cloud 20. So.... now i need to start looking into the hitch and wiring that puppy up. Nothing is every easy
stay tuned as i start to ask what i should do for the hitch. I don't know where to start. so many different options and i an so green on this subject
Bradley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
2017 16' Sport
West Palm Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 19
You own the Best

BMW X5 is the best and will be so smooth to drive in pulling. Just get the correct receiver on car. Do not get just a u-haul it need a special one from BMW to go with frame as to flex. Plus, BMW has a plug and play wire hass.
truffies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
2018 16' Sport
Keene , New York
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
Hi everybody. I am new to this forum and i plan to have lots of "nubie" questions. I stayed in my first airstream last weekend and love it! I have a VW european that i am not so in love with anymore... So my question is... Has anybody used a jeep Wrangler to tow a Sport 16. I see some people say don't ever tow with a jeep so i would like any advice. I also have my daily driver a BMW X5 it does not have a hitch and would add one. but that will be a new question

thank you

Brad
I would not tow with a Jeep Wrangler unless it is the 4 door model with a V6 -

I love towing with a V6 Toyota Tacoma limited with a crew cab. I have a hard cover on the cargo bed and use every cubic inch of space when traveling. The 16 Sport Bambi just does not have the storage capacity we need for things like chairs, table, generator, extra food, folding bike etc.
Tad Zelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
Thank you everybody for your help! I think i am going to add a hitch to the BMW. Id like to go with the Sport 22 or Flying Cloud 20. So.... now i need to start looking into the hitch and wiring that puppy up. Nothing is every easy
stay tuned as i start to ask what i should do for the hitch. I don't know where to start. so many different options and i an so green on this subject
For the X5, the decision on hitch receiver depends on the series of X5. Earlier X5 E53 models should only use the BMW receiver. The E70 can use the BMW receiver or a good aftermarket one. The F15 BMW hitch is a removeable one and I wouldn’t use it, go aftermarket.

For electrical interface, I strongly recommend the BMW wiring module. It is a cleaner way to get lights connected (since BMW uses multiplex wiring) but it also tells the vehicle when a trailer is connected, and that allows the onboard Dynamic Stability Control to access the trailer stability control mode. That system doesn’t replace a sway control device on the hitch, but it is nice to have it.

BMW hitches and wiring modules are all dealer items. There are no factory equipment or factory options you need for towing.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
2017 16' Sport
loves park , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 15
bambi TV

hi, I towed a bambi about 4k miles last year with a 2015 v6 unlimited Jeep, it is more than enough, did a lot of mountain driving with little strain.. it is the way to go for sure!
chasrolex69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Bmw wins over jeep

Stick with the Bmw! I have a hitch set up with equal-user weight distribution that I used to pull my 22 Sport. I am looking to sell it if u are interested as I got a new set up for my Globetrotter.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
Glenn T's Avatar
 
2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 98
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by truffies View Post
BMW X5 is the best and will be so smooth to drive in pulling. Just get the correct receiver on car. Do not get just a u-haul it need a special one from BMW to go with frame as to flex. Plus, BMW has a plug and play wire hass.
I agree 100%. I used to own an X5, and added the receiver hitch and wiring myself. It took all afternoon, but the BMW kit was a good one.

There's absolutely no comparison in towing between the Jeep and the X5. Go with the better, safer tow vehicle, and get yourself a good, used 20' Airstream. I love mine!

Glenn
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasrolex69 View Post
hi, I towed a bambi about 4k miles last year with a 2015 v6 unlimited Jeep, it is more than enough, did a lot of mountain driving with little strain.. it is the way to go for sure!
Hi. I have a 2015 Rubi unlimited (with a fairly significant lift) and 2017 22 sport.

Right now I'm towing with my Honda Pilot but this summer I'd like to town with my Rubi so we can off-road at mountain destinations where my son is an avid fly fisherman.

Sorry for the jeep glamour shot but it's the only one I have on my phone. 😕

What hitch setup do you use? I have a Reese with anti sway that I use with my pilot.

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180428_140836.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	310065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180215_175559.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	310066  

mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
Tyvekcat's Avatar
 
2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 287
Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmama View Post
Hi. I have a 2015 Rubi unlimited (with a fairly significant lift) and 2017 22 sport.

Right now I'm towing with my Honda Pilot but this summer I'd like to town with my Rubi so we can off-road at mountain destinations where my son is an avid fly fisherman. Sorry for the jeep glamour shot but it's the only one I have on my phone. ��What hitch setup do you use? I have a Reese with anti sway that I use with my pilot.
Would appreciate any advice/suggestions.
You need a lift on your AS. You have a 4 inch lift on the Jeep ?
Yeah you need a lift on the AS. you will probably still need a drop hitch,
Do you have 4:56 gears ? That should help with pulling.

Cool, I have two Jeeps, I know why you want to use the Jeep,,,,

Oh yeah, Very Nice Jeep !
Have a good one!
__________________

__________________
Ra, Chelle & Natasha
For my next trick, I will use my new Airstream & Dodge Ram 2500 CTD to make this pile of money disappear.
Tyvekcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing a Jeep Wrangler Sport JohanRoa4 Sprinter and B-van Forum 11 10-24-2017 01:23 PM
Tow Vehicle - Jeep Wrangler to tow sport 16 iamcrazy Tow Vehicles 22 04-10-2016 07:37 PM
New 2015 16' Sport, towed by Jeep Wrangler Unlimited jt1911man 2005 and newer - Bambi all models 28 05-05-2015 05:53 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.