Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Towing Sport 16' with 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon

Hi everybody. I am new to this forum and i plan to have lots of "nubie" questions. I stayed in my first airstream last weekend and love it! I have a VW european that i am not so in love with anymore... So my question is... Has anybody used a jeep Wrangler to tow a Sport 16. I see some people say don't ever tow with a jeep so i would like any advice. I also have my daily driver a BMW X5 it does not have a hitch and would add one. but that will be a new question

thank you

Brad
Bradley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I haven’t, but many appear to have done so. A reasonable match to that size of trailer. See this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...er-153096.html

I have towed with an X5. An excellent tow vehicle.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Don't know about Jeep, but BMW X5 is Ultimate Towing Machine

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Jeep Unlimited with a strengthened hitch receiver makes a fine tow vehicle if your main reason for choosing it is having the Jeep for off-roading etc at your destination. A larger trailer would allow you to take more stuff.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
You have the Rubicon, so you have some heavier axles and transfer case if I recall. Might even have a lower final drive gear ratio. Just checked online and the Rubicon has Dana 44’s and a lower final drive. The trailering pack is just a hitch and wiring. The axles are good news for towing. If you have an automatic transmission, you might want to make sure you have a separate cooler for the trans fluid, not the typical in radiator style. The AT tires will throw some rocks and gravel at your sport, and the sport doesn’t have rock deflectors (there’s another thread on that topic and how to get them/wait for them). You’ll want to consider some sort of protection, like a rock tamer. You’ll probably need a brake controller, too.

The BMW would make good TV, too. Hitches aren’t a big deal to install. Trailer wiring is another story. Not hard; just a little more complicated. Q
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Thank you everybody for your help! I think i am going to add a hitch to the BMW. Id like to go with the Sport 22 or Flying Cloud 20. So.... now i need to start looking into the hitch and wiring that puppy up. Nothing is every easy
stay tuned as i start to ask what i should do for the hitch. I don't know where to start. so many different options and i an so green on this subject
Old 05-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
West Palm Beach , Florida
You own the Best

BMW X5 is the best and will be so smooth to drive in pulling. Just get the correct receiver on car. Do not get just a u-haul it need a special one from BMW to go with frame as to flex. Plus, BMW has a plug and play wire hass.
truffies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Keene , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
Hi everybody. I am new to this forum and i plan to have lots of "nubie" questions. I stayed in my first airstream last weekend and love it! I have a VW european that i am not so in love with anymore... So my question is... Has anybody used a jeep Wrangler to tow a Sport 16. I see some people say don't ever tow with a jeep so i would like any advice. I also have my daily driver a BMW X5 it does not have a hitch and would add one. but that will be a new question

thank you

Brad
I would not tow with a Jeep Wrangler unless it is the 4 door model with a V6 -

I love towing with a V6 Toyota Tacoma limited with a crew cab. I have a hard cover on the cargo bed and use every cubic inch of space when traveling. The 16 Sport Bambi just does not have the storage capacity we need for things like chairs, table, generator, extra food, folding bike etc.
Tad Zelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
Thank you everybody for your help! I think i am going to add a hitch to the BMW. Id like to go with the Sport 22 or Flying Cloud 20. So.... now i need to start looking into the hitch and wiring that puppy up. Nothing is every easy
stay tuned as i start to ask what i should do for the hitch. I don't know where to start. so many different options and i an so green on this subject
For the X5, the decision on hitch receiver depends on the series of X5. Earlier X5 E53 models should only use the BMW receiver. The E70 can use the BMW receiver or a good aftermarket one. The F15 BMW hitch is a removeable one and I wouldn’t use it, go aftermarket.

For electrical interface, I strongly recommend the BMW wiring module. It is a cleaner way to get lights connected (since BMW uses multiplex wiring) but it also tells the vehicle when a trailer is connected, and that allows the onboard Dynamic Stability Control to access the trailer stability control mode. That system doesn’t replace a sway control device on the hitch, but it is nice to have it.

BMW hitches and wiring modules are all dealer items. There are no factory equipment or factory options you need for towing.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
loves park , Illinois
bambi TV

hi, I towed a bambi about 4k miles last year with a 2015 v6 unlimited Jeep, it is more than enough, did a lot of mountain driving with little strain.. it is the way to go for sure!
chasrolex69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Bmw wins over jeep

Stick with the Bmw! I have a hitch set up with equal-user weight distribution that I used to pull my 22 Sport. I am looking to sell it if u are interested as I got a new set up for my Globetrotter.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by truffies View Post
BMW X5 is the best and will be so smooth to drive in pulling. Just get the correct receiver on car. Do not get just a u-haul it need a special one from BMW to go with frame as to flex. Plus, BMW has a plug and play wire hass.
I agree 100%. I used to own an X5, and added the receiver hitch and wiring myself. It took all afternoon, but the BMW kit was a good one.

There's absolutely no comparison in towing between the Jeep and the X5. Go with the better, safer tow vehicle, and get yourself a good, used 20' Airstream. I love mine!

Glenn
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasrolex69 View Post
hi, I towed a bambi about 4k miles last year with a 2015 v6 unlimited Jeep, it is more than enough, did a lot of mountain driving with little strain.. it is the way to go for sure!
Hi. I have a 2015 Rubi unlimited (with a fairly significant lift) and 2017 22 sport.

Right now I'm towing with my Honda Pilot but this summer I'd like to town with my Rubi so we can off-road at mountain destinations where my son is an avid fly fisherman.

Sorry for the jeep glamour shot but it's the only one I have on my phone. 😕

What hitch setup do you use? I have a Reese with anti sway that I use with my pilot.

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180428_140836.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	310065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180215_175559.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	310066  

mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmama View Post
Hi. I have a 2015 Rubi unlimited (with a fairly significant lift) and 2017 22 sport.

Right now I'm towing with my Honda Pilot but this summer I'd like to town with my Rubi so we can off-road at mountain destinations where my son is an avid fly fisherman. Sorry for the jeep glamour shot but it's the only one I have on my phone. ��What hitch setup do you use? I have a Reese with anti sway that I use with my pilot.
Would appreciate any advice/suggestions.
You need a lift on your AS. You have a 4 inch lift on the Jeep ?
Yeah you need a lift on the AS. you will probably still need a drop hitch,
Do you have 4:56 gears ? That should help with pulling.

Cool, I have two Jeeps, I know why you want to use the Jeep,,,,

Oh yeah, Very Nice Jeep !
Have a good one!
Old 05-04-2018, 01:34 AM   #15

2018 16' Sport
Henderson , Nevada
Everyone has their own opinion of an ideal tow vehicle. For me, a Jeep Wrangler works just fine. It may not have the towing capacity of a bigger truck, but it will tow a Bambi with little effort. Plus, it's awesome off road, is easy to fix, and I could own 3 for the cost of a BMW X5. Pros and cons. You have to figure out what works for you.
tatertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
I just wanted to tanks everybody for all your help!