Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #1

Hudson , Massachusetts
Towing solo

Hi All - I'm curious what people's opinions are about towing solo. I know there are plenty of backup cameras and other tools that make it possible, and I've also heard and seen first hand that people in campgrounds are willing to help if you ask, but I'd love to hear if you think it's a terrible idea, and if so, why. If you don't think it's a terrible idea, and have any tips on gear or techniques, or if you have recommendations on size trailer you would think is a better choice for towing alone, that would be great too.

Katy
violetsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I tow a 27' Overlander. I find it's easier to maneuver without "help" from random people. Regardless of what rig you have, you'll get used to maneuvering it.

I have no backup camera. When backing into a site, I get out and look as many times as necessary. Backup cameras are great, but they don't see everything, so you still need to get out and look.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have never towed "something this big" before, solo is not a good idea. Same thing if you have never backed it before.

As long as you are willing to slow down and you have a reasonable idea of the route, solo is not that crazy. The enemy is distraction as much as anything else. Fatigue can be significant if you are going very far. 40 miles of 6" clearance construction solo ... not for me.

Backing into a wide open site is simple with or without help. Getting past 15 tight points to fit into someplace you probably should not be ... much less simple, with or without help. Hitching up with a backup camera is amazing. Doing it solo without one takes patience and some tricks (like a flag).

So the bottom line - it depends on what you are doing. Plan ahead / review your route (you should do that even if not solo). In some cases having two "helpers" is great either when driving or when getting into the site.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Good advice on this thread. My wife is often present but usually stays in the truck trying to finish her work so she can relax over the weekend so it's effectively solo.

If you can put some cones out it a big parking lot and "play around" you can develop a really good feel for your rig. Just like an experienced mechanic can tell a bolt size at a glance; you'll learn what will fit where - and how to get it in there.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Go for it. Don't be afraid of having a bigger trailer... just plan for it and TAKE LESSONS. Many trick driving schools offer RV courses too. Once upon a time you didn't know how to drive: learning how to do it wasn't magic, it was studying and practicing. Same process, different skill!

Paula
Old 08-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TRUCK Driving schools
Old 08-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Just got back from over a month long trip to Oregon..had a great time..will probably spend all next summer there. Im solo and have always towed solo. Had a dog but she was no help at all!
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Don't be afraid to live the way you want. See the Country how ever you want or need to
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I tell people NOT to help me back up. Making steering wheel gestures at me in the mirror or two people trying to help, doesn't help. Spot the site before you try, use your mirrors.

Get out and check every few feet. People will wait while you back up. You'll be fine solo.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Many trick driving schools offer RV courses too.
My wife says if I attend a trick driving school, I'll be travelling alone, too.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If you've never towed before, go out and buy a well used utility trailer the size of the trailer you want to buy and practice. If you hit something, no worries (stay from cars) and it will at least not intimidate you too much manuvering, as you can see all the corners. Once confident with the utility trailer, graduate to the Airstream.

As far as backing up solo, it will take a lot of practice and devices like cones and flags to help you.

Remember to look up; always look up before you look around.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 AM   #12

Hudson , Massachusetts
Thanks!

Thanks all - I appreciate the wise counsel and the encouragement. I like the idea of practicing with a utility trailer. I've towed before, but always with help to get hitched up, and usually I hand it off to someone else for tight maneuvering.

K
violetsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
I towed utility trailer maybe three times in my live. Last year I picked up my SOB 33 ft trailer from Indiana and towed it to California. Solo...

The only stressful situations were when I needed to get some diesel. However, I was prepared and researched the gas stations on the way and chose those with a good layout.

No white knuckles, no stress at all. I drove the 2,200 miles in 2,5 days. Easy.

Sometimes I am camping only with my three years old, so basically without a spotter. Also, no problem. I just need to get out a couple of times to make sure nothing is on the way.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Wanted to edit some typos, but there is no such feature...?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Hi

The edit feature is set up so it's available for about 10 minutes after you post a message. Simple answer is to re-read quickly. You don't have to check very many of my posts to note that I don't always get that done ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
You can edit posts for a short time. 30 minutes?
I usually have to back over my posts to correct my fat finger typing and autocorrect "help".

As far as solo RV'ing, I don't know any other kind. But my experience is all good. The most difficult part is not backing into campsites, but rather gas stations. It's too easy to get blocked in by some guy who parks in front of you forcing you to back up with no spotter.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You can edit posts for a short time. 30 minutes?
I usually have to back over my posts to correct my fat finger typing and autocorrect "help".

As far as solo RV'ing, I don't know any other kind. But my experience is all good. The most difficult part is not backing into campsites, but rather gas stations. It's too easy to get blocked in by some guy who parks in front of you forcing you to back up with no spotter.
I've been known to throw out an orange traffic cone to facilitate egress. Two would be better.

To the OP: Backing is where most problems occur. Get out and look is the advice. No matter how many times. And start over if need be.

In itself, it's not hard. Just experience. More, the better. And never forget to check for overhead obstructions.

The rest of solo is with ordinary caution. Back off. We can ride a roller coaster and not quite notice. Driving, shopping, trying to repair. Etc.

Forum allows 30'.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
You have about 15 minutes, I think, then the "edit" button disappears.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetsblue View Post
Thanks all - I appreciate the wise counsel and the encouragement. I like the idea of practicing with a utility trailer. I've towed before, but always with help to get hitched up, and usually I hand it off to someone else for tight maneuvering.

K
You can always reserve a "drive through" site if one is available, won't have to back up.

I get out of the truck and go check the spot I'm backing into. The wife helps if we are traveling but I go alone to put it back into storage.

I got a set of the extendable yellow balls on a magnet at Harbor Freight (also at Wal-Mart), I attach one to my hitch and another to the AS connector. It's not perfect but it helps me to know how close I'm getting and if I'm lined up. Keeps me from putting the tongue into the bumper.

If I'm backing into a strange place, after checking out the area I'm going into, I estimate how far I want to backup, without turning the steering wheel, and put a marker of some sort down. Then I slowly backup to the marker, stop, adjust the steering wheel, do it again. Home Depot and Lowe's have the small orange cones. Small but visible, not expensive, easy to keep in the truck.

After you've done this several times you "get the feel" of how to do it. Just go slow, get out and do frequent checks.

Don't forget to check the overhead for low hanging tree limbs or other objects. "Check your clearance, Clarence"
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I'm solo about 25% of the time and it's often easier than when there's two of us. There's no one to argue with during the backing process.

Frankly, I prefer jumping out every few feet. Once I get the visual in my head, the whole process is a lot easier.

Also - I set out some orange cones to mark the route/edges/danger zones.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote