Old 08-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Wanted to edit some typos, but there is no such feature...?
Hi

The edit feature is set up so it's available for about 10 minutes after you post a message. Simple answer is to re-read quickly. You don't have to check very many of my posts to note that I don't always get that done ....

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
You can edit posts for a short time. 30 minutes?
I usually have to back over my posts to correct my fat finger typing and autocorrect "help".

As far as solo RV'ing, I don't know any other kind. But my experience is all good. The most difficult part is not backing into campsites, but rather gas stations. It's too easy to get blocked in by some guy who parks in front of you forcing you to back up with no spotter.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You can edit posts for a short time. 30 minutes?
I usually have to back over my posts to correct my fat finger typing and autocorrect "help".

As far as solo RV'ing, I don't know any other kind. But my experience is all good. The most difficult part is not backing into campsites, but rather gas stations. It's too easy to get blocked in by some guy who parks in front of you forcing you to back up with no spotter.
I've been known to throw out an orange traffic cone to facilitate egress. Two would be better.

To the OP: Backing is where most problems occur. Get out and look is the advice. No matter how many times. And start over if need be.

In itself, it's not hard. Just experience. More, the better. And never forget to check for overhead obstructions.

The rest of solo is with ordinary caution. Back off. We can ride a roller coaster and not quite notice. Driving, shopping, trying to repair. Etc.

Forum allows 30'.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
You have about 15 minutes, I think, then the "edit" button disappears.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetsblue View Post
Thanks all - I appreciate the wise counsel and the encouragement. I like the idea of practicing with a utility trailer. I've towed before, but always with help to get hitched up, and usually I hand it off to someone else for tight maneuvering.

K
You can always reserve a "drive through" site if one is available, won't have to back up.

I get out of the truck and go check the spot I'm backing into. The wife helps if we are traveling but I go alone to put it back into storage.

I got a set of the extendable yellow balls on a magnet at Harbor Freight (also at Wal-Mart), I attach one to my hitch and another to the AS connector. It's not perfect but it helps me to know how close I'm getting and if I'm lined up. Keeps me from putting the tongue into the bumper.

If I'm backing into a strange place, after checking out the area I'm going into, I estimate how far I want to backup, without turning the steering wheel, and put a marker of some sort down. Then I slowly backup to the marker, stop, adjust the steering wheel, do it again. Home Depot and Lowe's have the small orange cones. Small but visible, not expensive, easy to keep in the truck.

After you've done this several times you "get the feel" of how to do it. Just go slow, get out and do frequent checks.

Don't forget to check the overhead for low hanging tree limbs or other objects. "Check your clearance, Clarence"

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I'm solo about 25% of the time and it's often easier than when there's two of us. There's no one to argue with during the backing process.

Frankly, I prefer jumping out every few feet. Once I get the visual in my head, the whole process is a lot easier.

Also - I set out some orange cones to mark the route/edges/danger zones.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #21
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I have 30 footer and go solo. Very doable. Takes practice backing up. Some spots are easy, others not so much. I am also of the opinion that every adult traveling with the Airstream should be ABLE to solo. It is flat out dangerous, stupid, idiotic that both people aren't equally competent towing but that is a whole other topic. I always wonder what Wife will do when Hubby brakes a leg or two or God Knows what. Towing is not hard, neither is backing up. It takes practice. You are not physically having to lift the trailer and move it from point A to point B. Trying to learn this after or in the middle of a medical incident is not the time to learn something new.
Back to the topic....going solo is very doable. Lots of us are out there on our own not always by choice but life goes on and I still have things to see.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I have 30 footer and go solo. Very doable. Takes practice backing up. Some spots are easy, others not so much. I am also of the opinion that every adult traveling with the Airstream should be ABLE to solo. It is flat out dangerous, stupid, idiotic that both people aren't equally competent towing but that is a whole other topic. I always wonder what Wife will do when Hubby brakes a leg or two or God Knows what. Towing is not hard, neither is backing up. It takes practice. You are not physically having to lift the trailer and move it from point A to point B. Trying to learn this after or in the middle of a medical incident is not the time to learn something new.
Back to the topic....going solo is very doable. Lots of us are out there on our own not always by choice but life goes on and I still have things to see.
Agree with the premise, but . . .

the rig can be towed to storage. Then transported separately by pros if need warrants.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I tow solo quite often. Use check lists for all setting up and hooking up. There is no one checking behind you. Also, don't forget to raise the stabilizer jacks before raising the tongue jack. Be careful of "helpful" people that may give you confusing signals.

I find the biggest difference in towing solo is time. You will have to secure the inside, plus do all the outside chores. A usual 15 minute job can take 25 minutes. Allow for it.

A really good set of tow mirrors is mandatory. The kind that also cover the blind spot. I find towing solo very peaceful, and I can stop where and when I want. If fatigue is setting in I look for a rest area or truck stop to pull into. You're towing your bed. Go back and take a rejuvinateing nap.

TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote