Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Powder Springs , Georgia
Towing school

I'm not exactly sure which category this should be under but I have not been able to find any other threads on the subject.

I have been reading this forum for several months in preparation for buying an AS. I can be pretty analytical at times. You all have convinced me that I will be better served with a 3/4 ton truck and plan to buy one in the next few weeks. I'm looking for a nearly new 23' Safari but who knows when I will find exactly the right one.

Meanwhile, I have some reservations about towing. I have pulled small motorcycle trailers long ago but this is a different level all together. I have some concerns about backing into a camp site and driving in heavy traffic. When I started riding a motorcycle, I attended the new riders course and learned the basics. It seems like there should be the same type of training for new trailer owners. I Googled the subject and found many courses but they were all in Europe. I know I can get in a large parking lot and practice, and I probably will do that, but does anyone know of any formal training that may be available on towing trailers?
Thanks,
Slim
SlimJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
This is a really good idea, Jim, unfortunately I don't think many people would consider it for it's inherent value. I too ride a motorcycle and I attended a local rider's school with my wife when she was learning to ride. It was indeed a very valuable experience.

I've seen advertisements for RV driving schools on the internet. I believe they were geared towards owners of class A big rigs, not trailers.

The wbcci rallies and the international often have classroom venues devoted to this. You can also gain a lot of insight just asking questions and learning from other's experience. However, it's probably not a substitute for sitting behind the wheel with a professional driving instructor at your side!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
I havent heard of any.

If you can give yourself a couple hours practice in a big lot, you will just about cover everything you can and give yourself the basic skills needed to get your trailer into a spot. Only actually doing it is going to make you better. Lots of times their are hedges, trees, cramped quaters to navigate through.

You are probably worrying yourself over much about it though. It isnt difficult.

As for towing in traffic, the trailer is going to follow your truck so dont worry. Watch your mirrors and take it easy. Sometimes taking a turn a bit wide is needed, but you will quickly learn when that is the case. One of the most important things is making sure you give yourself enough stopping distance. Even with trailer brakes, you are going to need additional room.

If you only get a 23' trailer a 1/2 ton like a F-150 would suit your needs. Just use your weight distribution and anti-sway setup and your golden.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Here's what you need to know

Go find a big parking lot. Settle your mind and just be patient.

Place your hands at the bottom of the steering wheel.

Want the trailer back bumper to go to the drivers side? With your hands at the bottom of the steering wheel move your hands towards the drivers door.

To go right move your hands towards the passenger door.

Every thing else is just practice and fine tuning. Oh by the way your Airstream will be easier to back up than your motorcycle trailer.

While you are in this empty parking lot make turns like corners and watch your mirrors. You will get a good idea on how much your trailer wheels move in from where your truck wheels went.

Driving in traffic is not hard you just need to be patient when other drivers are not and leave plenty of stopping room.

Believe me you can do this.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
All the above mentioned advice all sounds great and good. Please do not go through metro Atlanta traffic at rush hour unless you have a full tank of gas, multi-sandwiches, chips, popcorn, and the latest in video entertainment.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I conducted an informal backing up seminar a few years ago. Check out the attached pdf to see the brochure I made up for the seminar. Perhaps this will provide you with some helpful tips.

Good luck and, as others have said, practice, practice, practice!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BackingUp_Seminar.pdf (184.9 KB, 343 views)

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
I dont know of an schools out there. I tow for work day in and day out. Dont worry about it to much. Just take it easy and slow until you get the feel. You would be better off $ wise in my opinon renting a 24 foot box trailer and drive it around for a day. Find some folks in your neiborhood to let you back into their driveways a few times. Also, if you have another person with you, those little FRS radios are real handy backing into tight spots when you cant see. We use them all the time. I just got my 34 and it tows like a dream.
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
I know there is an Outdoors Womens course that teaches how to pull and back up boat trailers. I'm not kidding or being silly.It's a great course and should just be called Outdoor courses for everyone. I tried to back up a gooseneck trailer the other day and it is an entirely different animal than my AS.I suggest putting up cones in a parking lot. That is what I had to do with the gooseneck.
Good Luck
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJim
I'm not exactly sure which category this should be under but

Meanwhile, I have some reservations about towing. I have pulled small motorcycle trailers long ago but this is a different level all together. I have some concerns about backing into a camp site and driving in heavy traffic. When I started riding a motorcycle, I attended the new riders course and learned the basics. It seems like there should be the same type of training for new trailer owners. I Googled the subject and found many courses but they were all in Europe. I know I can get in a large parking lot and practice, and I probably will do that, but does anyone know of any formal training that may be available on towing trailers?
Thanks,
Slim
Try this flash game for fun Pépère at sea
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I think that Good Sam's Club has an annual school, strikes me that one in summer is in Idaho annually, that includes instruction. You might try that search and see if anything is posted about "school" for rv's and trailers. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Try this:
www.rvschool.com
All the above advice is great. Not that difficult, go slow and practice in a lot the first time.

good luck.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Slim... I'd suggest getting a U-Haul trailer and go to a big parking lot. It's a great idea, tow school, but I too haven't seen any. I learned to tow when I moved using a U-Haul trailer. From there a boat, to finally an Airstream. It can take some time, but taker 'er slow and in time you'll be just fine.

As for a 3/4 ton for a 23', I surely won't tell you it's a bad idea, but a 1/2 ton could tow a 23' very well. Going much larger than a 23 though, my suggestions would be different in terms of a tow vehicle.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Try RV Life on Wheels Educational Conferences as they have conferences and training in a number of states. One of our past forum members who use to live in Crossville, TN. took a driving school and said she learned much which gave her confidence. During the training she pulled out of a gas station and the steering pump shaft on her then new Suburban broke (replaced under warranty). She was thankful her instructor was with her at the time. I do not recall where she aquired the training and haven't heard from her in awhile since she went out to Colorado.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Powder Springs , Georgia
Thanks for all the suggestions, brochures and encouragement. The game you provided, toastie, made my wife say we would be staying in hotels . I do know that I can do this with practice and I will be taking your suggestions to heart.
Silver Twinkie, I've read many of your posts on truck size and know that a 1/2 ton would do the job but as many of you say, "It's better to have too much than just enough". Who knows, a great deal on a 25' may pop up and I'll be glad I have the bigger truck.
Thanks again and I'll continue to hang around a learn from the experts.
Slim
Old 06-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Slim,
Get out and practice between pylons and remember in most places you will camp you will have friendly neighbors who will gladly help you get situated. I have had people come out at midnight to help me back in. Trailer people are
a nice bunch. Just jump in and it will all work out
Don Cook
Don Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Powder Springs , Georgia
Thanks, Don. I realize the folks on this forum are the same ones I'll be meeting in the field. I can tell they all seem to want to help newcomers.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #17

1996 34' Excella
Mapleton , Oregon
Jim
Here is a cheap tip.Do not drive paralell to a truck rig with a overhanging load(other than passing!) If he makes a turn away from you his load will project into your lane and hit your trailer (log trucks for intanse!)
Greoge K.
Burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Powder Springs , Georgia
Thanks,! I was expecting your last post to say, "Burma Shave". I hope you aren't speaking from experience.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Slim...

I shared your trepidation when we first got our 19' Bambi. I had towed a trailer when I was in my teens a million years ago, when we used hand brakes...but nothing recently. I was really nervous about it. We got a quick lesson at the dealership where we bought it and then we were on our own. The first time we brought it home, I entertained the whole neighborhood for at least 45 minutes just tryng to get it backed into our driveway...I thought I'd never get the hang of it! But I did.

We did go to an empty parking lot to practice, which helped a lot. The old hint of "hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, then move your hand in the direction you want the tail of the trailer to go"...really works. A few more trips out and backing into camping sites and the driveway and it's gotten easier. I can now back it into an 11' space between the house and the fence. In fact, not too long ago, after I'd backed the Bambi into its resting place at our house in a matter of minutes, the neighbor who'd watched me that first day home came over and congratulated me on my new-found skill!

The shorter the trailer, by the way, the harder they are to back up because the pivot point comes much quicker, and they react sooner. Just take it slow and if it's not going where you want it to go, pull forward and try again...try to keep the TV in front of the trailer to follow it in ocne the basic turn is made.

Oh. One other thing...insist that your partner or other half practice the backing up thing, too, so they know what you're dealing with...it makes for far better empathy and undestanding when yo are backing it in! Having tried it themselves, they are less likely to get frustrated with you as you learn the tricks and get more comfortable with it!

On the road, give yourself plenty of stopping room, keep an eye on your mirrors and pay attention to what's going on around you. Airstreams track very well, you'll fine.

Good luck!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Powder Springs , Georgia
Thanks, for the encouragement. I have the truck, now I need the trailer. As soon as the right one comes along, we be on the road.