Old 04-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
2001 19' Bambi
Galveston , Texas

The Ridgeline should be an excellent towing vechile for the Globetrotter, about 3300# fully laden. We have been towing a Casita 17 foot for the last 2 years. It is about 3500 lbs fully laden and it has been a dream to tow with the Ridgeline. We travel between 60 and 65 with about 600 lbs in the truck and an anti sway bar and never had a problem with the Ridgeline in hills and mountains, etc. We obviously slow down in the mountains, but have not been limited by power, or wind gusts. Thus, I would strongly recommend the Ridgeline for 3500 lbs and under.

I have no experience with the Ridgeline for the Airstream 19 and note that fully laden it comes in around 4500 lbs. From reading all the forums (Ridgeline, Airstream) I get the impression that some people think that it would be no problem and others say that it would be working very hard to get up and around the mountains. I plan to leave the Airstream around Denver and do two or three trips per year in the Rocky Mountains (got to get away from the Texas heat).

I hope that this informaion helps.

jpwrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Your experience with the Casita is invaluable to your "problem". The big difference is in weight of the TT. Did you ever scale this previous rig to see how the axle loads were on the TV & TT? That would be the sort of info where a really accurate seat-of-the-pants comparison could be made.

Towing either on the flats would be about the same. The A/S possibly superior but one would need to compare axle type and ground clearance. Hitch rigging will also be a factor in how one drives over the other (same hitch even, but how well adjusted according to scale values).

But weight isn't nearly as important as aerodynamic resistance when comparing one trailer to another. And these are fairly close in a lot of respects.

Was there ever a time you felt the Honda/Casita rig really at it's limit? And if so, how would you have defined that? Time spent at wide-open-throttle? Braking? Other?

It may be that placing perceptions on a continnum with others will help to clear the fog around what otherwise appear to be fairly similar trailers (except as weight, etc, differ).

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Thanks JP, I've heard good things about towing with a Ridgeline around here, very hilly and windy roads. The Tundra V6 vs the Ridgeline unladen struggles. Our Ridgeline just passed 100k, and I wish we could get another (for a spare) before they go out of production, it's been an awesome vehicle. I imagine we'll get another 100k out of it. The one thing in that is a significant advantage in the Tundra over the Ridgeline is that you can hold the transmission in any gear, with the Honda, just 5th, 3,2 or 1. I drive in 4 in the Tundra a lot, so it won't lug. Maybe the Ridgeline won't have the same problem
Wherever you go, there you are
Globie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
2001 19' Bambi
Galveston , Texas
Towing in the mountains

One post script. I have rechecked the Ridgeline's manual and it states that it looses 2% towing capacity per 1000 feet. Thus at 10,000 feet it has lost 20% of its towing capacity. The Durango (I think V6) according to a Dodge fleet manager, has lost 27% of its towing capacity at 10,000 feet. Thus, if the Bambi 19 is fully laden, it would surpass the towing capacity of the Ridgeline and just meet the towing capacity of the Dodge Durango. I am basing this on a towing capacity of the Ridgeline at 5000 lbs and the Durango 6200 lbs, both at sea level and a Bambi GVWR of 4300 lbs. By the way, 10,000+ feet is the height of a number of CO mountain passes.

One fly in the ointment in this calculation is I don't know how to address the combined weight of both the TV and the trailer using the above formulas. That's probably where real life experience comes in, because one can never get access to one of the engineers that designs these vehicles.

jpwrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Just hook up the Ridgeline, get the hitch right, and give it a try. You already have it, by all accounts its a great vehicle, and it will probably do fine. Keep the speed down.

I admit being old school, where 45 mph up grades was a norm. Drop the Ridge into one of the lower gears, relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

250 net horsepower is a lot, in historical terms and you have plenty of gear choice in transmission. Honda engines live just fine at 3500-4000 rpm on grades. Everything loses 3% per thousand ft, except for turbo engines.

If after a few outings, it doesn't feel right, or overtaxed, then cross the bridge.

tpi is offline   Reply With Quote