Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
PDX , Oregon
Towing Question- 2012 Touareg TDI- Airstreams in general or 2011 Flying Cloud 23fb

Members,

I am a newbie to the forum and proud new owner of a 2012 TDI (Diesel) Sport with the tow package included. I am now in the market for a travel trailer to tow with my new TR. Being new to towing I have spent a lot of time reading through the threads on towing in general with a strong focus on Airstreams owners. My goal is to get a general sense of what other members are experiencing with towing either a 2011 or a 2012 within the TR specs of (7,770 TC & 616 TW). I am seriously considering an Airstream 2011 Flying Cloud 23FB with these specs:

Unit Base Weight: 4,746 lbs
Towing Capacity (GVW): 6,000 lbs
Hitch Weight w/lp and without options, water & cargo): 467 lbs

An obvious question, is do we have any members that are currently towing with this general configuration (2011/2012 Touareg TDI with 2011/2012 23fb Flying Cloud)? If so, please let me know your general towing feedback, to include if you are using a WD hitch (to include why) and the specs of your ball and shank mount.

Additionally, can anyone share experience/feedback on my plan to tow with this configuration? Is this trailer too much for my Touareg V6 TDI (Diesel) Sport?

Overall, any general feedback is greatly appreciated given my specs and concerns regarding towing with this configuration. I have read the threads on Touareg owners towing AS's but I am interested in 2011 & 2012 TR TDI owners as the specs are different from earlier TR's. I apologize if this thread is somewhat redundant to others but I was having trouble finding some clear guidance to ensure that I am making a sound purchase with this config.

Thanks,

Roger L
Roger L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
Welcome

Roger L,

Welcome to the forum. There are a few VW Toureg owners here, from who you will likely hear. On paper your Toureg should work well with the 23FB, as long as you attend to payload limitations.

My only personal experience is towing a 19' Safari SE with a BMW X5 diesel, which works very well using a plain ball hitch. I have experienced no stability issues, including side winds, passing trucks, and towing on snow. Plenty of torque and power.

We test drove the 2012 Toureg diesel before buying the X5. It is a great car.

Of course you need input from someone familiar with both the Toureg and the 23FB. Maybe your dealer would let you test drive? If you do use a WD hitch, be sure to get knowledgable input regarding you vehicle to select a hitch and set up properly. A WD hitch can place very large bending moment loads into your hitch receiver if entering a ramp-driveway.

Does your Toureg have auto-leveling rear suspension?

Charlie
aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Roger, having owned two T's (V8s), and now a MB GL 450 (and prior to that, a MB 330 Diesel), I don't think you'll have a problem at all with your vehicle, as long as you get a good WD hitch and an anti sway bar.

Your diesel will be more than adequate for the 23FB, in my opinion.

Good luck!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Very well written first post. You're in the right place understanding that the question pre-supposes the answer (that not all is evident in short "answers").

Put a PRO_PRIDE hitch on your list. Disc brakes on the TT and you'll have -- with that TT & TV -- pretty well state-of-the-art. See also DIRECLINK brake controller, here and website.

All posts, threads, online articles, etc by AndrewT (Andrew Thomson, of CAN AM RV) should be a priority, IMO.

Now, as to rig specifics: one can revive those old threads where there seems to be reason to do so as you see it. That'll awaken those who have posted previously and they may have come across just what you are looking for in the interim.

Welcome!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
According to the 2012 trailer life guide to towing, your Touareg has a 7700 lb towing capacity and that appears to be more in line with other vehicles that have a 3L turbo charged,double overhead cam v6 diesel with about 400 ftlbs of torque. Jeep,Mercedes, Volkswagen,BMW come to mind. I towed my 25 ft Safari, 6300 lbs max wt. very successfully with a Reese dual cam set up by Can Am RV on my Jeep diesel. Your combination will be most excellent providing you use a wd hitch with sway control and perhaps some strengthening of the OEM hitch. Also moving the ball as close to the bumper as possible while being able to open your hatch is important. Your fuel mileage will be most enviable with your great combination.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have towed with a V8 Treg with 19' Bambi as well as the V10 diesel Treg with a 25'FB. Your V6 diesel will do fine with the 23.

The hitch capacity for all US Touaregs is 770 lbs, not 616. The OEM hitch receiver is very strong, but be sure to watch your combination of hitch weight and weight of people & gear loaded in the car. A WD hitch will help level out the car and redistribute some of the weight off the rear axle and help prevent sway. A Pro Pride or Hensley are nice but are top price. A Reese or Equalizer will work fine as well. Plan to spend some time at the truck scales dialing in the best set-up.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
All posts, threads, online articles, etc by AndrewT (Andrew Thomson, of CAN AM RV) should be a priority, IMO.
Welcome to the Forums!! I agree, speak to Andy at Can-Am. He is the experts of all experts!! But, sounds like you have the right TV for your 23'. Good luck and safe travels!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Where's Brad? I know he's talked to Andy recently about setting up his Touareg. No matter where you're buying your trailer, I know people call or email Andy from all over the world and insofar as I know, he's always willing to give you advice on what you need to set up safely and efficiently.

I am SO jealous. That is totally my dream tow vehicle. *sigh*

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
PDX , Oregon
Thank you all for your feedback. I have been doing more research and I am not going to use a WDH. My owners manual clearly states on pages 168-170 "NO Weight Distribution Hitches". I am going to follow VW's lead and have ruled them out with this buying decision. The plan is to weigh everything and stay within TR's towing/hitch specs. If I find that the hitch weight comes in high I may consider the 22fb sport which is less hitch and tow weight. Does anyone have any recommendations on towing without the WDH? Would sway bars or any other option be recommended?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #10

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger L
Thank you all for your feedback. I have been doing more research and I am not going to use a WDH. My owners manual clearly states on pages 168-170 "NO Weight Distribution Hitches". I am going to follow VW's lead and have ruled them out with this buying decision. The plan is to weigh everything and stay within TR's towing/hitch specs. If I find that the hitch weight comes in high I may consider the 22fb sport which is less hitch and tow weight. Does anyone have any recommendations on towing without the WDH? Would sway bars or any other option be recommended?
There is a lot of confusion on the WDH and the Touareg, they don't use them in Germany so they say not to. Call Andy at CamAm for the necessary modifications. I pull a 19" Bambi with an 08 V8 and she pulls like a dream but I use a WDH with anti sway at a lower setting. With a 23' you might have to reinforce the existing hitch, see the following thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-17371-11.html

This topic always leads to drama about the stated hitch weight and WDH is a no no so take it for what's its worth but you have to have some sort of anti sway and WD or the butt of your Tourareg will sag and IMO it will not be a safe combo.

Call Andy and get an experts advice, I believe for the Touareg it's not very expensive to have the hitch reinforced.
http://www.canamrv.ca/rvs/airstream/

Good luck!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger L View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on towing without the WDH?
Safety, handling, ride, etc would be diminshed by not using a WDH.

VW know very little about towing.

Can Am knows all about towing. Contact them for appropriate advice to get the WDH installed and adjusted correctly.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
With a 23FB (Front Bedroom) Airstream at 465 tounge weight - this would be a great complement to your "T-Rex".

Remember - that tounge weight will increase as you load her up, especially propane and fresh water or clothes in the front bedroom....

My experienced opinion - I would not exceede 500lbs tounge (dry weight as per Airstream specs) with a Touareg or Cayenne unless you willing to go somewhere like "Can Am".

ProPride or Hensley suggested - and don't forget your brake controller - Prodigy P3 was last one I used and loved it. Not brave enough for an RF unit but would consider if I was back towing again with a "Pepper" or "T-Rex"...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Use WDH or don't tow with it - Period...

Many miles towing with Cayenne & Touareg - lots of articles out there so do some searches and you will see the reasoning behind my statement.

Let me state my opinion again - without WDH you cannot safely tow anything over 500lbs tounge - not enough weight balanced amoungst the tow vehicle, in either a Touareg/Q7/Cayenne.

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Thank you all for your feedback. I have been doing more research and I am not going to use a WDH. My owners manual clearly states on pages 168-170 "NO Weight Distribution Hitches". Does anyone have any recommendations on towing without the WDH? Would sway bars or any other option be recommended?
On 2004-10 Touaregs, there was an option of four-corner air suspension which would automatically level the car and a WD hitch was not necessary provide the length of the trailer was not more than 20' and the hitch weight was under 500lbs. I towed a Bambi this way with just a friction sway bar with no problems.

However, you have steel suspension, therefore a WD hitch can and should be used if you are going tow anything more than a utility trailer. As Mitch stated above, Europeans do not use WD hitches so the VW manual provides some misstatements for North American towing standards. If you call VW North America, they will provide you with a hitch receiver sticker that states hitch weight of 770lbs if that will make you feel better.

I tow my 25'FB with a V10 Diesel with air suspension and use a Hensley WD hitch. It works fine, however it took time getting the proper weight load distribution at the truck scales and to get the right hitch settings. Nothing goes in the trunk except a full size spare. I travel light with this combo.

You may want to go over to ClubTouareg.com and peruse the towing forum for insight from other Touareg owners. Get your advice from other Touareg owners....VW dealers know very little about these vehicles.

Or call someone like CanAm who specializes in setting up vehicles for towing Airstreams. The Touareg is a very capable tow vehicle with great handling, torque, and large disc brakes. It will tow a 23' with ease, BUT, get a WD hitch!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
Roger L,
Ditto the above suggestions to contact Andy at CanAm or someone knowledgeable regarding WD hitch on the Toureg. ( Heaven forbid, would someone at VW be helpful?). The likely issue is the structural attachment of the hitch receiver to the car body. This structure must handle very high loads if you drive into a driveway/ramp where front wheels go up or down. This could be reason for VW recommending no WD hitch. If so, perhaps the hitch receiver attachment to body may be reinforced?

If you cannot use WD, and you do not have self- leveling, then you are faced with the rear suspension sagging. If the tongue weight is within design limits for the TV and you do not add rear passengers and heavy cargo, then you may be OK.

You will get a spectrum of strongly held opinions on WD hitches. Pay most attention to reported driving experiences and engineering specifics. Your VW has very good handling characteristics. It is perhaps a subjective matter as to how your rig will handle when towing, however equipped. Perhaps a dealer will let you take a test drive?

Charlie
aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
PDX , Oregon
Thank you for your feedback. I spoke in length today with Andy at Can AM RV and he gave me the assurance that I can tow the 23ft trailer based on his extensive experience. Overall, I am confident with his recommendations.

Roger L.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I spoke in length today with Andy at Can AM RV and he gave me the assurance that I can tow the 23ft trailer based on his extensive experience. Overall, I am confident with his recommendations.
So, inquiring minds (who would like to eventually drive a T-Reg) want to know; what did Andy recommend to you?

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
So, inquiring minds (who would like to eventually drive a T-Reg) want to know; what did Andy recommend to you?
And .... ?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
PDX , Oregon
Andy is a great resource and would gladly answer any direct questions you might have, please feel free to contact him for his opinions. I am not sure he would appreciate me posting his recommendations without asking him first.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #20

richmond , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I have towed with a V8 Treg with 19' Bambi as well as the V10 diesel Treg with a 25'FB. Your V6 diesel will do fine with the 23.

The hitch capacity for all US Touaregs is 770 lbs, not 616. The OEM hitch receiver is very strong, but be sure to watch your combination of hitch weight and weight of people & gear loaded in the car. A WD hitch will help level out the car and redistribute some of the weight off the rear axle and help prevent sway. A Pro Pride or Hensley are nice but are top price. A Reese or Equalizer will work fine as well. Plan to spend some time at the truck scales dialing in the best set-up.
I wish I could find a sticker or documentation to verify the 770 lbs tongue weight.
benzer11 is offline   Reply With Quote