Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #21

richmond , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
On 2004-10 Touaregs, there was an option of four-corner air suspension which would automatically level the car and a WD hitch was not necessary provide the length of the trailer was not more than 20' and the hitch weight was under 500lbs. I towed a Bambi this way with just a friction sway bar with no problems.

However, you have steel suspension, therefore a WD hitch can and should be used if you are going tow anything more than a utility trailer. As Mitch stated above, Europeans do not use WD hitches so the VW manual provides some misstatements for North American towing standards. If you call VW North America, they will provide you with a hitch receiver sticker that states hitch weight of 770lbs if that will make you feel better.

I tow my 25'FB with a V10 Diesel with air suspension and use a Hensley WD hitch. It works fine, however it took time getting the proper weight load distribution at the truck scales and to get the right hitch settings. Nothing goes in the trunk except a full size spare. I travel light with this combo.

You may want to go over to ClubTouareg.com and peruse the towing forum for insight from other Touareg owners. Get your advice from other Touareg owners....VW dealers know very little about these vehicles.

Or call someone like CanAm who specializes in setting up vehicles for towing Airstreams. The Touareg is a very capable tow vehicle with great handling, torque, and large disc brakes. It will tow a 23' with ease, BUT, get a WD hitch!

I called VW North America and they never heard of the new 770lb sticker. They quoted the 616lb tongue weight
benzer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Apparently, they have down rated the hitch rating and VW seems to follow the 8% tongue weight rule now (like many other European manufacturers). Not sure if air suspension not being offered anymore has anything to do with it. Realistically, there is not too much difference between 616 and 770 tongue weight (with an ~1100 of payload), unless maybe you travel alone.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote