Old 07-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskav View Post
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. What is the payload on your truck (on the door sticker)? Mine is about 1450 lbs. We probably have 675 lbs. in the truck between us, the two smaller kids, and some bikes and chairs.

I can't really move up to a 250, it's a daily driver and I'm in Boston and Cambridge several times a week. This truck is literally ALL that will fit into those old garages. The most I could do is another F150 w/ the payload package, which is why I was just considering creating one.

Sounds like the air springs are a no-go.

Yikes...
The air bags simply don't work. It wasn't an easy thing to admit to myself that I screwed up and than eat crow having to remove them. In between the Air Bag and Roadmaster Helper Spring experiment I also changed out the factory shocks with Billstein HD shocks. Now that WAS a positive worthwhile improvement. I should have mentioned it in my previous post. It was an easy install took me about an hour.
Again I went through all this fighting insufficient payload. Square Peg in a Round hole kind of thing.

franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have never fought insufficient "payload" (1050 on our truck) when setting up for towing. We do ensure our actual payload does not negatively affect our axle loads and ratings, as well as braking, steering control, handling, and ride comfort by using capable weight distribution equipment and verifying those axle loads on a CAT scale.

Going down the road have to look in the mirror to know if the Airstream is behind us in all traffic, road and weather conditions. And have confirmed confidence we can stay in control when the unexpected happens in front or alongside of us.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskav View Post
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. What is the payload on your truck (on the door sticker)? Mine is about 1450 lbs. We probably have 675 lbs. in the truck between us, the two smaller kids, and some bikes and chairs.

I can't really move up to a 250, it's a daily driver and I'm in Boston and Cambridge several times a week. This truck is literally ALL that will fit into those old garages. The most I could do is another F150 w/ the payload package, which is why I was just considering creating one.

Sounds like the air springs are a no-go.

Yikes...
My sticker rates this F-150 at 1784 lbs. On the build sheet they call it the "6800 # option"... We're pushing that, I believe, with the Pendleton because we always seem to have a ton of crap under the tonneau cover. Honda 3000i plus extra gas, (gotta run at least one AC unit), grill, fly flyfishing gear, chairs, tools etc. Love the truck. It is super comfortable and has been a great TV.
WOW!!! Bought the F-250 Lariat, 6.7L Turbo Diesel last night, not quite as loaded as the F-150, which we are keeping, but has all of the features you'd want for towing. Plus it's 4-wheel drive. Cannot beat a diesel for torque. It's nearly double the torque of the 5.0L V-8 gasser. But... properly set up the F-150 is very capable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_3234.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	289363  
Old 07-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFinATX View Post
My sticker rates this F-150 at 1784 lbs. On the build sheet they call it the "6800 # option"... We're pushing that, I believe, with the Pendleton because we always seem to have a ton of crap under the tonneau cover. Honda 3000i plus extra gas, (gotta run at least one AC unit), grill, fly flyfishing gear, chairs, tools etc. Love the truck. It is super comfortable and has been a great TV.
WOW!!! Bought the F-250 Lariat, 6.7L Turbo Diesel last night, not quite as loaded as the F-150, which we are keeping, but has all of the features you'd want for towing. Plus it's 4-wheel drive. Cannot beat a diesel for torque. It's nearly double the torque of the 5.0L V-8 gasser. But... properly set up the F-150 is very capable.
Congrats on the new truck. What's the payload sticker for your F250?
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Congratulations on your new F250! We just turned 5700 miles on ours in 1.5 months, and I had to add some DEF today when warning message came on to tell me I had 500 miles left. Good feature! I had the DEF gauge configured like a gas gauge on my instrument panel and have been watching it go down since new; I did not know there was a warning message that comes on; now I know! Now that I know there is a warning message, I will reconfigure the dash to put the turbo gauge back up there... I also am planning on changing oil/filters at 6k; they recommended 8K but many folks here, who know engines better then I do, suggested keeping it "clean" at 5-6K miles will help insure longer life...If I don't go broke, I plan to try my best!
Anyway, to those who have not driven the new F250 6.7 Powerstroke, go try it out...just for grins...it is very impressive what they have done with the ride in 2017, not to mention the torque! I saw an earlier post about the ride compared to the F150? I will tell you my neighbor has a new 1T 3500 diesel; it rides very well also...he rode in mine Sunday for first time and was surprised...he said his last ride in an F250 was a 2016; night and day ride difference in the new F250/350 with the frame and suspension changes...great TV for sure!
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have never fought insufficient "payload" (1050 on our truck) when setting up for towing. We do ensure our actual payload does not negatively affect our axle loads and ratings, as well as braking, steering control, handling, and ride comfort by using capable weight distribution equipment and verifying those axle loads on a CAT scale.

Going down the road have to look in the mirror to know if the Airstream is behind us in all traffic, road and weather conditions. And have confirmed confidence we can stay in control when the unexpected happens in front or alongside of us.

As they say ignorance is bliss........
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A very strange statistic is that the Model 28 Airstreams have a higher tongue weight (976 pounds) in the Airstream sales literature than all of the other models except the ill-fated 33 foot two axle model Classic where the actual tongue weight is over 1,200 pound on the dealers lot.

Our 2013 25FB International Serenity had a literature tongue weight of 833 pounds. After the Hensley Arrow and Prodigy RF brake control head, street side and rear awnings, 155 watt solar panel along with full fresh water and propane tanks were installed and filled by the dealer, the tongue weight was then 1,150 pounds with NO personal gear in the trailer.

So an additional specification that is critical is the load rating and towing rating of the receiver installed on the towing vehicle. One needs to read the specification attached to the receiver on each vehicle under consideration because they may not all be the same across the same brand.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
So an additional specification that is critical is the load rating and towing rating of the receiver installed on the towing vehicle. One needs to read the specification attached to the receiver on each vehicle under consideration because they may not all be the same across the same brand.
Hi

On the F-250, you get a receiver that has a nice beefy rating. It's also oversized compared to a "normal" one (2.5" vs 2"). You then put a little insert in it (assuming you didn't *loose* the insert ... I have experience on this ..). The question that pops to mind is "did I just change the ratings?". Good luck finding an authoritative answer to that one. One also sort of wonders what the ratings are on the rest of the hitch hardware (not just the bars).

Lots of things to think about.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Lots of things to think about.

Bob
Well, that's an understatement!

We are currently shopping for a trailer and a tow vehicle.

For the trailer, we've decided on the International Signature 27FB queen.

We'd like to buy a new F150 4x4 145" wheel base w/ tow package, 3.55 rear axle, 3.5L 10 speed. (hope I got all that correct). Vehicle we're looking at has max load of 1604# (from sticker on door). And I think it has max tow weight of around 10,000#.

Seems the tow capability is fine, but I'm worried about the payload. Am I correct, that you take the 1604# payload number, and immediately subtract out the tongue weight of the trailer, and then whatever is left, that's all you can put in the truck?

Tongue weight around 780#, would leave us with around 800# that can be loaded in the truck, including us and the dog. Right? Subtract us, dog, 2 bikes, and we'd be left with about 350# for misc other stuff.

Would prefer an F250, but this is our ONLY vehicle. When not travelling, that might suck.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
Towing Pendleton/Tommy/Eddie/28 with a 2015+ F150

Well we bought a f250 that had a payload of 2207, so after the tounge weight, truck topper, dogs us and whatever supplies there is not much left over. We went and traded it on a f350 that has a payload of 3555 and will never have to worry about weight. It is my daily driver but it does not bother me one bit. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	289855

ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote