Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I certainly don't intend to be driving on any serious snow. I think we might just cancel our reservations and make it a more spontaneous trip to wherever snow isn't, maybe without the trailer. Just too many unknowns this time of year, if we end up on the wrong side of the pass with the trailer.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Good thinking! But I like the idea of the lower-elevation RV park close to the wine-tastings.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:01 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
I think you'll be fine. It just isn't that cold yet so hopefully snow levels stay above pass levels. I was very surprised how full Yosemite Valley campgrounds and lodging venues were this time of year, but that was quite a few years ago.

Quite a few responses in this thread mention studded tires or snow tires. In Oregon you must use chains on both tow vehicle and trailer (if trailer equipped with braking axles) when a chain requirement is in place. You are OK with these traction devices when you aren't towing. Towing, you have to have chains.

Oregon's chain law is summarized here:

https://tripcheck.com/Pages/minimum-...quirements.asp

I didn't see a similarly clear document for Washington. The Washington document I did find is for commercial vehicles and seems to require carrying a spare set of chains for the tow vehicle. Washington's commercial vehicle chain policy is summarized here:
http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/cvd/chain_reqs.pdf

Have a great trip! November is a great time in central California.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have many more miles towing on snow and ice than I planned for, but kept going. I had my Lincoln Navigator with two wheel drive, "P" tires, and no chains. I'm going to say it's mostly driver ability [and a little stupidity] The only thing that I did different was to turn down my brake controller. I did not touch anything else and I also use an Equal-I-zer hitch. I hit snow in Northern California and into Oregon. I also hit snow and ice in Wyoming and South Dakota. We had the time of our lives. Most all of this is in my thread "Bob, Lee, and Dusty's random trips."

I now have an F-150 with four wheel drive and electronic locking differential; Went all the way across this country and back and didn't need either.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
. . .
Just too many unknowns this time of year, if we end up on the wrong side of the pass with the trailer.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
As has been pointed out several times - don't even consider going. Four wheel drive Flex is not what one who has lived in the NY snow belt would consider a snow worthy vehicle, however, that said - no one should drive an Airstream in the snow on purpose.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
I consider myself to be a pretty good, experienced snow driver. I wouldn't risk the airstream on snow and ice. Chains - yikes!! Maximum speed is 20 to 30 mph and 30 is pushing it. Have you ever seen a chain cut loose? They can do more damage than you can imagine. Take an alternate route or wait for decent weather.
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Although you may think these responses are maybe too negative or harsh, they are offered out of concern for the safety of you, yours, and your rig. The first two responses seem to capture it best. Just as importantly, there is no joy in white-knuckle towing. Your vacation should be a time to relax and enjoy. Having pulled my 20ft FC through a bad November 2010 Oregon blizzard where you couldn't make out the roadbed, I can tell you there is no joy involved. To make matters worse, you will be climbing some steep hills getting to Yosemite. But safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have many more miles towing on snow and ice than I planned for, but kept going. I had my Lincoln Navigator with two wheel drive, "P" tires, and no chains. I'm going to say it's mostly driver ability [and a little stupidity] The only thing that I did different was to turn down my brake controller. I did not touch anything else and I also use an Equal-I-zer hitch. I hit snow in Northern California and into Oregon. I also hit snow and ice in Wyoming and South Dakota. We had the time of our lives. Most all of this is in my thread "Bob, Lee, and Dusty's random trips."

I now have an F-150 with four wheel drive and electronic locking differential; Went all the way across this country and back and didn't need either.
What Robert said plus.
I always wondered how the Minuet would tow in the snow but didn't really want to find out. Found out this spring. Got trapped in a snow storm in the Black Hills and had no choice but move to Buffalo Wy due to schedule, I still work. First half was in snow and slush the second half on ice. Light wind bright day. Only saw three trucks and two cars in 170 miles of I90. Gave me the chance to test handling while out there alone, panic lane change and stops. No problem with my conbination (listed below) on the snow but had to slow down to 45 or under on the ice. Otherwise handling was fine. Would never intentionally head for those conditions without a flexible scheduel but it is good to know it can be done when needed. BTW, good skins all around, trailer and Jeep. Oh, and I grew up in the Black Hills plenty of practice driving on snow and ice. I know how fast things can change from just fine to this is gonna leave a mark.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Here's a mental picture to help you make a decision on this topic - imagine losing traction on an upward grade and trying to stop the TV & Trailer before it starts to slide backward downhill. Or the obverse - losing traction on a down slope with a curve coming up.

We were coming home earlier this year from the Rose Parade Rally (amazing rally - worth it) and checked the weather in Raton, NM before we started over the pass into Colorado just as it was getting dark. The weather showed clear weather conditions and we got reported clear road conditions. We got through Trinidad just fine and about 10 miles north of Trinidad just as it got completely dark it started snowing, like we could only see the car in front of us snow. It cleared up as we got to Colorado City which has a nice rest stop so we decided to push on. Bad decision, won't go into detail - we made it driving in 4WD high for about 80 miles on snow pack. We have a Chevy Tahoe TV with four wheel drive and would not have made it without it. I plan to never have that experience again. Oh - another thing. Make sure the trailer is winterized before pulling it into freezing temps - we winterized at a truck stop before we went into known freezing conditions driving.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
No matter how adventurous you are, towing in the snow is never a good idea. But if you insist, chain up the trailer tires. You only need to put chains on one axle. Drive very slowly.

In this application, they're called "drag chains." Truckers do this all the time.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I do appreciate all the input from everyone. I went ahead and cancelled the reservations this morning. A big deciding factor was the prediction that the Tioga Rd and Glacier Pt road will close with the snowstorm, which are two of the things we were going to explore this trip. So no point risking life and limb to get there just to sit in the valley all week.

I think we will go explore our own state for a week instead. Shorter drives, and closer to home, and we know our way around the state pretty well if the weather turns on us.

Thanks all!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We travel south from Ontario Can. every winter in mid Feb.

As our departure date closes in on us, I watch the weather forecasts very closely and generally would delay the day of departure or maybe leave a day earlier if any significant snowfall is predicted. Have had to do that once or twice over the years.

But sometimes you just get caught in snow (or worse,ice storms) en route.

If that happens, I will generally continue with caution at much reduced speed, and maybe switch 4WD as long as there are at least a couple of bare(-ish) looking tracks on the highway. If it gets much worse, I will hole up for the night wherever we find an opportunity to do so, rv park, truck stop, or motel.

In about 15 years of these winter trips I have only had to do that twice, once due to snow in Ohio, and another time due to an ice storm around Oklahoma City.

In the latter case, we were still moving along at maybe 25mph on the icy roads, but we just saw so many vehicles in the ditch that we decided not to push our luck any further.

We had planned to be driving that day well into the evening, but wound u stopping at around 11 am in a campground that luckily was open - although no-one in the office, honor system to leave $$ - and had some wine. played scrabble and listened to music/eather forecasts. We resumed our trip next morning in a convoy with a few other campers that were doing likewise.

Better safe than sorry for sure!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I'd drive somewhere nicer.

If you go, snow tires are a must. All-seasons are just not all-season in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
AWD is glorified traction control,
I disagree with the above. It all depends on what type of 4wd or awd drive you have. They are not all created equally. I've owned many different types and subjected them to CO winters. My experience with AWD:

Audi and Subaru - always-on systems that direct torque to all wheels at all times. These are awesome. Slap some snow tires on them and you can break the laws of physics, it seems. I once drove my audi allroad over Berthoud Pass in 12" deep slippery snow. I could gas it in the corners and the damn thing just kept going.

Toyota - Slip and grip AWD. The rear axle engages when it feels slippage in the front tires. I have this right now on a Highlander Hybrid and I do not like it much. It gets the job done, but it's just not as good as the ones I had in a Subaru and Audi.

I've also had 4wd in a 2000 Nissan xterra, 2006 nissan pathfinder, and 2012 nissan Armada. Only the Armada with the any-speed 4wd felt anywhere near as good as the AWD systems in the Audi or Subaru.

Suffice to say, I'd take AWD over 4WD anyday in the snow.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
I'm from Michigan. Simple answer do NOT even think about it. It is a deadly ticket guaranteed. Park it till all signs of snow and slush are gone.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bettendorf , Iowa
Simply

Don't

I will dispense with the
You got to be kidding
WTF
REALLY?

Just don't!
DavidIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Wausau , Wisconsin
Driven in snow my whole life ! 4X0=0 4WD won't help the trailer. You will have alot of weight which helps. I see alot of people with 4WD who end up in the ditch becaus they are driving carlessly for the conditions.Safety First its not worth the stress
Chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bganso View Post
I would never tow our AS in the snow. That said, I wouldn't cancel your trip either. There are plenty of RV parks in the Sierra foothills within a short drive to Yosemite. Stay below 2,000 ft. and take day trips to the park. If you get a really freak storm you can always stay in the foothills and go wine tasting at the numerous wineries.
This is very good advise, and exactly what I would do. I have pulled my fifth wheel Scamp on snow and ice with a four wheel drive pickup, and would never recommend it to anyone.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Keene , New Hampshire
Towing in dnow

I agree with retired in Colorado. As a Vermont native with Over 50 years experience driving in New England DON'T even think about learning how to drive in snow towing a trailer
phowe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
Good choice to change plans

Tioga Pass is challenging under good conditions. I had the bad luck of witnessing a head-on collision on a clear fall day at Tioga pass. And they will shut it down under imperfect conditions.
ViscousCycle is offline   Reply With Quote