Old 05-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Ran into a deal like this 20 years ago,, Had a pu go down on me while far from home.. Had a trailer to haul the broken pu,,, but needed a TV... Got on the phone and started to call all the used pu lots in the area.. Times were slow and as it turned out a dealer had a nice 1 ton needing to go to Denver.. Worked out a deal to haul my pu home,, and get there pu onto Denver.. My cost was the gas to drive it 250 miles once I dropped off my pu,, and got a ride back home from my wife..

Like the old saying goes,, what seems impossible today is a good start on tomorrow..

2012 Ram 1500 Tradesman Hemi, 4x4, 6 speed

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina

Being a weekend, we might have a hard time confirming it, but I'm pretty sure there are contract haulers that tow travel trailers, not just motor homes.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
I am in complete agreement with Gary. I live in Charleston and have made the trip to Knoxville (without a trailer in tow). Coming from Knoxville, you would probably take US441, I-40, and 1-26. You would be traveling a large part of your trip through the Great Smokey Mountains, while a beautiful drive some of the grades are pretty steep. I would not even think about towing a 3 ton trailer without trailer brakes through this terrain. Once you get past Greenville, SC, it flattens out substantially, though. Hire it out unless you can get your hands on a truck with a brake controller and a proper hitch set up.
Good luck,
Bill Cantrell
AIR 24338
Easily distracted by shiny objects.
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
1967 24' Tradewind
Truro , UK
Thank you, lots of useful ideas and info there.
I'm amazed how tricky this would seem to be ?
I'll try the Hertz equipment rental tomorrow, that name crops up a bit, but failing that it looks like a hauler is the way forward.
We have a thing in the UK called Shiply ? This is kind of like ebay but for logistics. Haulers and private drivers or anybody going from A to B will bid for a load or to tow a trailer or move a car or what ever it may be. Works really well. The drivers are left feedback the same as ebay. Does this exist in the US ?
I looked at one company called Horizon but I've not heard back from them yet.
Buzzardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
1967 24' Tradewind
Truro , UK
Thanks Richard, that looks like the sort of thing. Cheers
Old 05-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
One other idea....and not sure what your budget is....but you could have a trucker with a lowboy or flatbed trailer just load the Airstream onto his flatbed and haul it for you with a Kenworth/Peterbilt/Freightliner.

Once I used Allied Van Lines to move cross country. The trucker told me that, for $600, he'd haul my '69 Dodge Charger clear across the country. He made the cross country trek about once every few weeks, and sometimes he hauled empty. He was basically an independant trucker subcontracting to Allied. But at any rate, you could find a guy who's going the right way and is looking for a few jingles in his pocket to just load the whole thing up and haul it. You wouldn't have to worry about brakes, etc. at all.

Best of luck,
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
1967 24' Tradewind
Truro , UK
Thank you Jim, i'd considered that but didn't know where to look really. Backloads we call that here and they're easy to find but I'm out of depth on your side of the pond. Maybe I'll look at Allied Van Lines then. Cheers.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #23
Awesomeness. In a word.
1964 24' Tradewind
Hendersonville , Tennessee

Any luck on getting your trailer picked up and towed. I know I have been known to take a job like this. It gets me away from the shop occasionally.

SkratchCo is offline   Reply With Quote