Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

towing help possibly in NJ

ok, we were dopes and bought our Safari without having a tow vehicle--our Jeep committed suicide on a tree last winter.

so we're trying to jury rig something with a vehicle from my nephew's work to get it home--it's only an hour away.

But if this doesn't work out, do any of you in NJ (Northwest--Hunterdon Cty) or Pa--over the river--know someone who does towing for a reasonable amount of money?

any advice is much appreciated!
zoeb nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

if you were in our thuderbirdnest group and this was a bird or a top it would be transported by a member for free.........
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeb nj
so we're trying to jury rig something with a vehicle from my nephew's work to get it home--it's only an hour away.

any advice is much appreciated!
I am wondering what you are considering doing?

Go to the local home depot or builders suppy and ask around, lots of people with trucks there usually. If someone approached me and I wasent busy I would do it for a small fee, remember though the price of gas when coming up with a price to offer.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Tow vehicle

Zoe',

We have a tow vehicle for sale that is in good shape and is close by:

http://www.airforums.com/class...&cat=17&page=1

Also, you could rent a Uhaul...just don't tell them what you are going to use it for...Lowe's also has a truck rental program.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Richard--

we really just want to get it to our house--we aren't planning on taking it anywhere til Spring, so don't want to put out any moola for a tow vehicle right now.

Maybe we are making it more difficult than it needs to be--in terms of the plugs matching up for the lights and brakes--it looks like the plug on the Safari is fairly unusual--so the guys at Home Depot wouldn't have that kind of plug on their truck? I'm sure I'm revealing my ignorance here!

Rob--that's a really nice vehicle--if i were seriously looking right now, I'd be interested--good luck selling it.

As for renting a truck, again it's the making the connections that seem problematic to me.

Zoe
Old 08-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Transport

Hello,

Please try Bubba Boys Hauling Belvidere, NJ (908) 453-3801 ask for Glen. We have had great success with this company local and long distance.
Colonial Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

A set of tow lights can be had at Wal Mart for under $50.00 and would mount to the rear bumper with magnets and hook right to a 4 prong tow vehicle plug.

O r buy the trailer end that will fit your trucks receptical and install it when hooking up the trailer.

Or it is easy to just use some wire between the Truck and trailer to get some brake lights. You will not have any brakes but as you said it is just a short trip so take it easy and No problem.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
A set of tow lights can be had at Wal Mart for under $50.00 and would mount to the rear bumper with magnets and hook right to a 4 prong tow vehicle plug.

O r buy the trailer end that will fit your trucks receptical and install it when hooking up the trailer.

Or it is easy to just use some wire between the Truck and trailer to get some brake lights. You will not have any brakes but as you said it is just a short trip so take it easy and No problem.
some very helpful ideas--I like the magnetic lights alot--thanks--this may solve out problems.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:03 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

magnetts wont stick to alluminum
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Yes

Yes, but if you see what kind of Airstream she has, and what RichardT say...stick them to the Bumper....which is not aluminum unless the PO changed it....then they will stick..

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:27 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

yeah, the bumper is metal--i know this because it's rusty!

we went to wal-mart and got the lights dealie this AM--got home and Bob was looking it over--discovered a typical wal-mart happening--someone had either opened the package and taken some parts out or else returned it sans some things--and of course it was put right back on the shelf...
Old 08-29-2005, 11:57 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream
Hello,

Please try Bubba Boys Hauling Belvidere, NJ (908) 453-3801 ask for Glen. We have had great success with this company local and long distance.
Bob just talked to Glen and he quoted a very reasonable price to do the job--thanks a million, Neat Airstream, for the tip. Bob figures after we give someone $100 for using their truck, pay for the gas, and buy the magnetic lights--it's not far off of Bubba's price--plus he has the proper hitch, does this all the time, and we don't have to go with him or go crazy doing the connecting up of everything--whew! what a relief.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Anyone know of a service near NYC that will tow a 30' trailer approx. 50 miles? I no longer have a tow vehicle and need transportation. Trailer is in Tarrytown, NY and needs to go to NJ
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaetc
Anyone know of a service near NYC that will tow a 30' trailer approx. 50 miles? I no longer have a tow vehicle and need transportation. Trailer is in Tarrytown, NY and needs to go to NJ

I'm sure Bubba will tow it for you--he has some sticker that you need to work in NY and told me he goes all over Long Island to pick up trailers. He travels in the three state area constantly.

He delivered our Safari on Sat--with no problems--he even replaced a tail light on the trailer for the trip and just charged for the part. The really nice thing about him is that he keeps in touch--this way you know where he is on the road, when he's arriving--you're not left hanging .

His cell # is 908-310-0506, and neat Airstream posted his other # below.