Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #61
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
I watched the vids of the process to hook up and unhook. Looks quite a bit more difficult than a Reece hitch. I would like to hear from some PP owners on what it is like to connect and disconnect.
This would transfer nicely to the PP....

Hitch'n rods from CW with O-rings to measure hitch height and get the alignment.
With practice, 10min, quicker with a helper......sometimes.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July Forth trip To Cold Brook 017.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	189959   Click image for larger version

Name:	July Forth trip To Cold Brook 018.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	189960  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Towtector.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	777.9 KB
ID:	189961  
Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
...and by the tow vehicle/trailer remaining as one unit (straight?not bending in the middle) it is safer because oscillation never begins. Driving with the ProPride/Hensley is like driving a motor home or large straight box truck when an 18 wheeler, bus, or other large vehicle goes by. You still feel it trying to "draw you nearer" or "suck you closer" but it can be corrected with a slight nudge of the steering wheel. I guess people who opt for the more expensive ProPride/Hensley are buying peace of mind. You can not put a peice on that. Think about it- my trailer is the most expensive thing I have ever bought in my life- period.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
So...I will feel EXACTLY the same experience as I feel now? I guess there is nothing known to man that will take that feeling/sensation away. I guess the thing to do is use what I have and put it to rest.
Again, not quite accurate. As I previously stated "The main point is that at no time is there ever any oscillation set up since the Hensley/ProPride NEVER changes angle due to the bow wave (it does change angle due to your steering input)".

If no oscillation is set up, then it can't be exacerbated by PIO (pilot induced oscillations). The problem with sway is it's a lot like "flutter" of an airplanes control surfaces; once initiated it can, in a split second, become intensified and uncontrollable; so you NEVER, NEVER want it to initiate.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
...and by the tow vehicle/trailer remaining as one unit (straight?not bending in the middle) it is safer because oscillation never begins. Driving with the ProPride/Hensley is like driving a motor home or large straight box truck when an 18 wheeler, bus, or other large vehicle goes by. You still feel it trying to "draw you nearer" or "suck you closer" but it can be corrected with a slight nudge of the steering wheel. I guess people who opt for the more expensive ProPride/Hensley are buying peace of mind. You can not put a peice on that. Think about it- my trailer is the most expensive thing I have ever bought in my life- period.
Now you've got it!
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I plan on putting my HD cam-corder back at the trailer on the trip back from the dealer back home (4-5 hour drive on highways) - that will be in about 4 months.

I will post this entire length of video on youtube and of course review it myself to examine trailer movement - I will do this despite what hitch I get - but it will be interesting to see how it does with a non-PP type hitch like blue ox, or resse, or equ-i-lizer...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I plan on putting my HD cam-corder back at the trailer on the trip back from the dealer back home (4-5 hour drive on highways) - that will be in about 4 months.

I will post this entire length of video on youtube and of course review it myself to examine trailer movement - I will do this despite what hitch I get - but it will be interesting to see how it does with a non-PP type hitch like blue ox, or resse, or equ-i-lizer...
I would suggest that you aim the camera out the rear window of the trailer and watch the view shift around when an 18 wheeler passes you on the interstate. Some 18 wheelers, even flat beds, generate an amazing bow wave of air when they pass a travel trailer on the interstate.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I can feel the bow effect even when a car passes, but when I look in the mirror the trailer appears to be traveling straight. In my mind the trailer would apper to be going straight to other motorists around me. I think it's just something I feel more than anything. That being said, in tornado weather I am sure the whole rig is actually moving.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #68
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I would suggest that you aim the camera out the rear window of the trailer and watch the view shift around when an 18 wheeler passes you on the interstate. Some 18 wheelers, even flat beds, generate an amazing bow wave of air when they pass a travel trailer on the interstate.
^
X2

Back in 2006 I had the occasion to follow our rig for 60mi on the Interstate.
DW was driving, towing with our 95 2500 Burb, Reese straight-line. Proper set-up, level with CAT tickets.
I was very surprised at the movement of the AS with every passing "bow wave". I had never felt any indication of loss of control when driving and DW said she hadn't either. After towing for 18 seasons, I was used to the 18 wheeler "push". I never realized just how much movement there actually was. The oft mentioned statement, "it tows like it's not there", is not necessarily a good thing. I was made aware that "not there" may quickly disappear when it no longer is.

Hence the Hensley, it's called the Arrow for good reason, it tracks straight, but I still know the Airstream is where it belongs.

Bob
Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
It will be easy then to verify the trailer away with say the Reese or blue ox etc...then my decision will be very easy ....then I will conduct the same video test with the Hensley / pp

Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
It will be easy then to verify the trailer away with say the Reese or blue ox etc...then my decision will be very easy ....then I will conduct the same video test with the Hensley / pp
A few years ago we towed w a Reese dual cam, thought it was safe until an 18 wheeler passed us and the trailer went into an uncontrollable sway. There was nothing to stop it, nothing. We rolled and totaled both truck and trailer. It was a terrible experience and we were very lucky to not be killed. What are you waiting for?

Reese is fine to its limits! Then it is useless! We called Reese and did not even receive a response. We now tow with Hensley. NO sway no matter what passes us. We did not realize the difference until we got the Hensley. If you don't think your life is worth a couple thousand dollars, that is your loss. What are you waiting for?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Save yourself the monkey business. Drive one, then the other in a strong crosswind and you'll know.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I just emailed my contact at the dealer and asked him to price me up the hensley arrow or propride with perhaps discounting it the value of the "hitch included" previously granted....

I just am very skeptical that this is as big a deal as folks make it out to be....but without any research, im left to go on testimonials alone (historically, this is a very problematic thing to base decisions on) - but I may indeed just bite the bullet and go the more conservative route here.

I dont know, I am skeptical that everyone really needs one of these, but because most every single person that responds to me about this subject says "well, I think you can get by fine with that hitch, but if you have the money, go with the hensley/pp hitch it is clearly awesome"....then perhaps I will harken this sort of common denominator in this debate.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A note on pricing of the PPP's.

In general terms and from what I see, ProPride does not offer wholesale to any dealers, you buy directly from ProPride. Hensley does have authorized dealers and I presume wholesale pricing. But the PropPride costs you less if you buy direct, and have it sent to the RV dealer for install. That's what we did because we were on a cross-country trip when our Andersen hitch experience failed.

They are designed to be installed by owners. A dealer will want an installation fee. Either will get excellent manufacturer assistance when/if needed. This may be negotiable with the sale of the RV.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Doug,

How long does it take to hook up the TV to the trailer? I watched the video, it seemed like it could be fairly difficult.. I know how hard it is to just back a ball to hitch. With a normal setup you have room for error. With the PP system it seems like you have to be dead on the mark. ??
Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #75
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Doug,

How long does it take to hook up the TV to the trailer? I watched the video, it seemed like it could be fairly difficult.. I know how hard it is to just back a ball to hitch. With a normal setup you have room for error. With the PP system it seems like you have to be dead on the mark. ??

Not long at all....

Bob
Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
PharmGeek says "I just am very skeptical that this is as big a deal as folks make it out to be, but without any research, im left to go on testimonials alone (historically, this is a very problematic thing to base decisions on) "

I can not believe you said that!
If you think our testimonials are problematic, why are you here? Obviously you think you know more than all those with lots of experience. Personally I think you do not know what you are talking about and maybe you should just keep your ridiculous statements to yourself.

I hope you NEVER go through what we went through! Life is short enough without taking stupid chances just to save a couple $$$.

As for hitching up, we have no problem. My husband gets the truck pretty well lined up and I guide him into the hitch easily and quickly! Maybe you should just stay home.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I think you took my statement way too personal...

What I mean to say is:

Testimonials in general are problematic.

That is not to say that they do not have utility...based on my meta-analysis of the testamonials, I am willing to seriously consider purchasing the hitch...as I said...cool the jets there StreamNTyme

" Obviously you think you know more than all that have experience."

I do not proclaim any such knowledge about this...my statement about testimonials is a generalization...not meant to be personal...I proclaim near ZERO authority on this subject...but I am a skeptical consumer...

I realize that you have went through a difficult process....perhaps a different hitch would have saved you from the problem you had...but if it upsets you that strangers who do not know you questions such a narrative to any degree...then I think you should stop and re-consider....

I think if you want to persuade folks to buy the life saving hitch....then you need to offer your experience, but dont slap people with hard judgements...people do not respond well to being called arrogant, cheap, stupid, or other things.

I would like to get to know you one day in person...I hate the internet...people can turn nasty somehow different than conversations in person...I do not want people to hate me so please understand that If I offended you personally, this was not my intention! I want to remain friends with all the streamers out there as best I can.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Doug,

I'd be willing to bet a 6 pack of adult beverages I could hook up my HAHA quicker than those with a traditional weight distribution/sway hitch (PP not included). PPP hitches are easy once you understand the way they work.

HMMM - this might be a fun contest at the next trailer rally............
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post

I'd be willing to bet a 6 pack of adult beverages I could hook up my HAHA quicker than those with a traditional weight distribution/sway hitch (PP not included). PPP hitches are easy once you understand the way they work.

Yea that sounds like a fun game for sure. Before the adult beverages of course!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post

I'd take on that bet. But, I think for it to be meaningful, it would have involve doing a complete unhitch, drive the truck away, turn 90 degrees, back it up, complete re-hitch, then repeat, maybe three times.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote