Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Well just to beat a dead horse. I am on the other side of the spectrum when it comes to what I can afford. I pulled my 69 ambassador for 2 years on bad axles and just ball and hitch. I have "up graded" to an eaz- lift system with friction anti sway bar. It was less than $200 from adventure RV. It tows great with this system, just a little sway in high winds or when a big rig goes screaming by. Is the $2500 hitch better? Well for the cost I'm sure it is.

But since I paid 3k for the trailer, and have 3k into it, it's hard to justify 2k just for a hitch. It's all point of reference. Later down the road I'll problem upgrade to a better system like a Reece, but for now it works just fine. How safe is safe? Well I think other factor play a larger role. Driving habits, up keep, tire pressure...

Old 07-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
"My rationale when purchasing my Hensley was that with $100,000+ invested in the assembly another $2,500+ was just small change to assure absolute control of the assembly."

Respectfully, I find this rationale highly problematic.

The question of "can I afford this" is a seperate question than "does it work much better" or "does it provide a meaningful pragmatic improvement over some other hitch?"

I have no issue with the cost of the hitch...if I decide to believe that it may be more effective based on testimonials alone here on this forum, I can afford the hitch. If I chose to forgo purchasing the hitch, it would be under the idea that I still am keeping skepticism that it is truly necessary and that other hitches will provide "a proper safety margin for my family". Of course If I did opt out of the PP style, I would watch very carefully for any unsafe problems...and in that example..I would simply shell out the money.

My point is:

I do not mind shelling out the money if I am convinced the money is well spent.

I do mind shelling out the money if I think there is a risk of it being entirely superfluous.

Frankly, I am leaning a tad toward purchasing the PP hitch at this point I suppose...but I want to do a bit more digging on the subject.

I am wary of anecdotes, but it does seem clear that folks who have owned several hitches really *enjoy* pulling their trailor with this hitch...perhaps if I even assume it is superfluous, but that the pulling is that much more enjoyable...it is worth it..and then IF it is truly safer, then I will gain that benefit as well.

The construction of it does seem intuitively more up to the task perhaps...but being that I am mechanically rather ignorant, intuitions kinda induce skepticism...

Thanks for all of the input so far everyone...

Let me ask this again, how much should I expect to pay the dealer to purchase and install this thing? If I get serious about this, then I am going to need to consider this. Rolling it into my loan will be perhaps (for now) much less painful and worth considering.
Please reference magenta bolded above. You can readily address those statements by just copying my "model" pictured above. It might take an hour or so to gather materials and assemble, but once fabricated it will leave you with NO DOUBT as to the superiority of the design; and if you don't fabricate one you'll probably spend an equivalent amount of time on further research which still won't fully satisfy you.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post

But since I paid 3k for the trailer, and have 3k into it, it's hard to justify 2k just for a hitch. It's all point of reference. Later down the road I'll problem upgrade to a better system like a Reece, but for now it works just fine. How safe is safe? Well I think other factor play a larger role. Driving habits, up keep, tire pressure...
This is sort of the opposite argument than that made earlier...

One earlier is "if you can afford it, why not"

This one is "I cannot afford it or cannot justify the expense based on relative cost of the trailer"

Keep in mind, I am using only a sort of logic 101 here when I state this...but lets imagine that the PP hitch was found to be "significantly safer" than other hitches. With "significant" meeting some statistical threshold that is "meaningful".

In this hypothetical, many many people could pull and indeed if very careful AND they were perhaps lucky, they would not encounter a scenario to put them into the statistics that created the outcome of "significantly safer"...but some "significant" number of folks would have prevented bodily harm, death, damages to TV or TT etc...

In this hypothetical...(again hypothetical, as we do not have this research) - one would be foolish to pull around such things and claim they cannot afford it. There wouuld be no way perhaps to know if you were in the "unlucky" group and if you "skimped" and went for less then you could face many costs associated with the "safety gamble" (again, in this hypotehtical).

So even if the trailer costed $1.00, it would in that hypothetical make solid sense to buy a $2,500 dollar trailer....this only under the assumption that it is "significantly safer" and by investing that money you save yourself and others bodily harm, vehicular/TT damages, and even death. In that hypothetical, cost of a trailer or level of income of an operator would have no bearing on what should drive the decision...this would leave a person unable to afford 2500 dollars the decision to:

1) not pull a trailer that "needed" this hitch
or
2) pull the trailer and accept the risk that is clearly demonstrated (in this hypothetical).

(*I would add that in this hypothetical study, we would control it by having all highly qualified experienced capable drivers, and control for many other variables*).

PROBLEM is though is that we do not have such research...which leaves people to reasonably speculate that "if I drive safe, not fast, am careful, than my current hitch will provide a margin of safety that is entirely acceptable"....couple that with the readily available anecdotal evidence that folks have little or no sway with their setups...people are not making an unreasonable leap with this I think.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Yep so at the end of the day it boils down to what you can or willing to afford, and personal preference.

On a side note I thought I was back in my statistics class for moment when I was reading your post!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
well, I will tell you about my trial on the road. I had an inexpensive WD hitch that came with the trailer. It worked, I thought fine, until I got new tires on the truck then the sway began - big time. It was awful. The only thing we (my family) could think of was that the thicker tread allowed for more movement. They are the michelin load E LTX- good tires.
So, I ended up with a Pro Pride hitch. We just got back from a 1600 mile trip with the hitch. Wow, how nice. ANYTHING could pass me and the tow vehicle and trailer were one. The old hitch before the tires would sway a bit after a pass but straighten out. With the new tires I would have to counter steer and hang on. All hitches will pull but it is the roadworthiness that matters.
I've noticed that new Michelin LTX-E tires seem to have an unstable feel when new. I've experienced that on pick-up trucks, Sprinter Van AS RV and then on my 2013 International 19. It can be disconcerting but normally goes away once the tires settle in with use. The sensation went away completely on the trailer after about 1500 miles.

I'm using a Husky WD system with sway control. My 2013 Dodge RAM 1500 also has built-in electronic sway control as part of the towing package. I haven't experienced huge winds yet but barely feel moderate side winds or trucks and buses as they pass.

My AS dealer at their main location did a very poor job of setting up and tuning my WD system. The service manager at one of their satellite locations cared enough to spend time on three occasions to help. The original bars were way to heavy and were beating up the trailer, and the trailer sat high in front. He swapped out the bars for the correct lighter ones and did a thorough job of showing me how to tune the system for the load.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
I do mind shelling out the money if I think there is a risk of it being entirely superfluous.

Frankly, I am leaning a tad toward purchasing the PP hitch at this point I suppose...but I want to do a bit more digging on the subject.
I tow with a Reese hitch with friction sway now, but here are some of the reasons I'm leaning toward a ProPride when it's time to replace the hitch. First, I think there is some confirmation bias when it comes to hitches, but at the same time I think the cost of the PPP hitches would override that.

1. Everyone that has a Hensley/ProPride loves them. Seriously, try to find someone that's upset with their PPP hitch...it's hard. Given the cost, I would expect that the standards are high and some people would be very angry if they didn't feel it was worth the money, just like people complain about the quality of their new Airstreams when they have problems. But where are those people and those posts for the PPP hitches?

2. Related to #1 - it's hard to find them used. Unless you buy them with a trailer, they don't seem to come up for sale that often. In part that's probably because they're less prevalent, but even still the number for sale seems low. I admit I don't watch closely for them, but when I've looked I usually see other brands but only rarely do I see a PPP for sale used.

These imply to me that people love their PPP hitches, beyond what you'd expect simply because they put a lot of money into them. If it didn't perform well above other brands of hitches, why wouldn't they sell it to some other sucker, get back most of their investment, and buy a cheaper brand?

3. Sean from ProPride hangs out on the forums, helping people, just like the Honda hangs out in the generator forum. I want to encourage that.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I watched the vids of the process to hook up and unhook. Looks quite a bit more difficult than a Reece hitch. I would like to hear from some PP owners on what it is like to connect and disconnect.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Connections are all about alignment. Align it, back in, hook up, set the weight distribution, and go. There are a several methods people use, find one that works for you.

doug k
Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I agree with Doug. I've had two unbearably frustrating hitching experiences because I didn't fully grasp the alignment process. More often than not, on my own, I can hitch up in 5 minutes or less. If I forget to line up level and ensure WD is not changing the angle of the hitch, I shoot myself in the foot to some extent - but having done that twice, I get it much faster. :-)
Old 07-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I spent some time today reading on other sites - its hard to shake off some of the points made above and dismiss them.

My tentative plan will be to use the blue ox or Reese or whatever for a bit and see how it works for me - and if I do not like - I will simply buy the PP cash.

On the other hand - if I can get my dealer to consider discounting the PP - I may do that - i think he will balk - we will see

Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A few non-anecdotal considerations.

All the friction sway control hitches react to sway after it begins. Sway cannot happen with PPP hitches.

In crosswinds, gusts, and trucks passing you, the trailer moves at least slightly out of the alignment with the tow vehicle using friction sway control hitches. With PPP hitches the trailer and tow vehicle remain in alignment.

With friction sway control hitches the trailer pivot point is at the ball/coupler. With PPP hitches the pivot point is about 50" forward, near or at the axle; the trailer cannot initiate a movement, only the tow vehicle can.

With Hensley/ProPride a range of weight distribution bars are available appropriate to the rig, and they are easily adjustable at each hookup for perfect weight distribution to ensure the best handling and braking of the rig.

These factors make the PPP hitches more than a nudge ahead in safety, control, and comfort; it's a long leap ahead.

doug k
Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Without controlled research by a 3rd party it is by definition anecdotal that other hitches are significantly less safe than PP

Not to say the anecdotal reports do not constitute compelling enough evidence to "sway" me

Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Without controlled research by a 3rd party it is by definition anecdotal that other hitches are significantly less safe than PP

Not to say the anecdotal reports do not constitute compelling enough evidence to "sway" me
Hehee... Sway.. Lol...
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I am convinced that ProPride/Hensley Arrow are superior, but I still don't think I am endangering myself or others by using the EazLift or Equal-I-Zer. I will upgrade at such point in time that I actually have $2,500. That will be more than 2 years away for me (daughter in nursing school) so I ain't losing sleep over it. I will still drag my Airstream all over everywhere with what I got and be thankful for what I got. I would encourage PharmGeek to get a ProPride/Hensley Arrow if he is able. If he gets the Blue Ox I'll still be his friend. We ain't gonna have no fallin' out about it. The Airstream/Eqaul-I-Zer combo is SOOO much better than the EazLift/sob combo that it is unreal. The 8 ply radial tires on the sob were SOOO much better than the bias ply tires. I hope that in the future when I have a Hensley the difference/improvement will be THAT noticeable. Going on YouTube to look at the Lego model. Lego is cool...

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote