Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
read the ad last night, taxes and tired. here is the actual numbers,....

1991 AIRSTREAM CLASSIC 350LE
15980 MILES
454 WITH BANKS

call larry

Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Lima , Ohio
Thought you would like to know we just brought home our 99 25ft. Safari, 600 miles home, you can find my post, heck of a story! We pulled her with our 2005 Dodge Durango Adventurer. Not even a Hemi, has higher axle ratio though. Did lots of research on the Durango, Dodge has an awesome sight that will spell out what "your" vehicle can tow. Ours stated 7200 lbs. tow, with lower axle ratio, 5700 lbs tow. Even verified with Dodge. Airstream is 4900 dry weight/ 6300 total max. I will admit, we were still nervous if it could handle it. NO PROBLEMS! My husband was please with the RPM's. Everyone says you don't know the Airstream is back there, well I did. Probably first ride home, and so long. I guess I did forget about it after some time. But my husband said driving was easy, and let me tell you we had some high winds to deal with. We did use a Reese weight distribution hitch that can be adjusted to fit your TV. May get sway bars, but honestly, may not need them. We plan to take her to the weight scales soon. Curious what total we have. I have no fear in using this durango to pull her. We are a young family, and need the durango for family purposes, car-pooling, etc. She will do just great for the Airstream. Granted I wouldn't take it to the Rockies, but where we plan to go, in the little spare time we have, she will do great!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishsilver
Thought you would like to know we just brought home our 99 25ft. Safari, 600 miles home, you can find my post, heck of a story! We pulled her with our 2005 Dodge Durango Adventurer. Not even a Hemi, has higher axle ratio though. Did lots of research on the Durango, Dodge has an awesome sight that will spell out what "your" vehicle can tow. Ours stated 7200 lbs. tow, with lower axle ratio, 5700 lbs tow. Even verified with Dodge. Airstream is 4900 dry weight/ 6300 total max. I will admit, we were still nervous if it could handle it. NO PROBLEMS! My husband was please with the RPM's. Everyone says you don't know the Airstream is back there, well I did. Probably first ride home, and so long. I guess I did forget about it after some time. But my husband said driving was easy, and let me tell you we had some high winds to deal with. We did use a Reese weight distribution hitch that can be adjusted to fit your TV. May get sway bars, but honestly, may not need them. We plan to take her to the weight scales soon. Curious what total we have. I have no fear in using this durango to pull her. We are a young family, and need the durango for family purposes, car-pooling, etc. She will do just great for the Airstream. Granted I wouldn't take it to the Rockies, but where we plan to go, in the little spare time we have, she will do great!
Hi, wishsilver. I'm not sure about what you said was your tow vehicle's tow rating, but 7,200 lbs is cutting it close, 12% margin, [20% rule] and if it is 5,700 lbs you're looking for trouble. As for the sway bars, get them anyway; Don't wait until it's too late. [accident]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Lima , Ohio
Thanks Robertsunrus,
We have the 7200 lb. tow capacity. I know there is much debate on the SUV TV. If we really like the Airstream experience and plan to take her far, then a larger TV will be in the works for the future. But for now the Durango will do. Will definitely take your advice on the sway bars, for the little cost, I'm sure it is well worth the money.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
I tow a 28' Safari with a 1998 Navigator. I use the Hensley Arrow. If you use this, you will find any large SUV to be rock steady under tow. I can't say enough about how nice the Helsley Arrow is. It is worth every penny and this way you don't need a long pickup to tow your Airstream. Ron
Old 06-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishsilver
Did lots of research on the Durango, Dodge has an awesome sight that will spell out what "your" vehicle can tow. Ours stated 7200 lbs. tow, with lower axle ratio, 5700 lbs tow. Even verified with Dodge. Airstream is 4900 dry weight/ 6300 total max. I will admit, we were still nervous if it could handle it. NO PROBLEMS!
The manufacture's manuals were written as if you were pulling a box type trailer. The aerodynamic Airstreams tows so much easier so no need to use any 80% rules. Good to here it works well for you.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #63

2004 34' Classic S/O
Huntsville , Alabama
Bonzai: I pull a 34 ft limited with an F250. The rig weighs twice the truck. The trailer has hydraulic brakes and a good Genisis controller. I purchased a Hensley hitch for our first rig in 1996 and we have towed both trailers a total of 113,000 miles without a hitch (no pun intended). Pay attention to what you are doing. Do not drive when sleepy. Keep the tires less than five years old and the brakes in top notch condition. After a couple of trips you will get the hang of towing. We have a rule, it is 200 miles or 2 PM what ever comes first. After 200 miles and 2PM the old body gets tired. Stop and smell the roses. fjs