Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #21
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
When the trolls are done I would like to come back into the discussion and see what we can learn from it.

Who are the trolls, dkottum? Anyone but you that has input?

All of the responses in this thread are either thanking the original poster or adding more information based on their own experiences or preferences. No different than your input.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #22
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Who are the trolls, dkottum? Anyone but you that has input?

All of the responses in this thread are either thanking the original poster or adding more information based on their own experiences or preferences. No different than your input.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
I thought he was referring to the Chrysler 300 reference, whereby a recently purchased used vehicle with a failed rad cap and a cracked expansion tank overheated, and that is somehow relevant for any sedan towing an Airstream.

I'll take a sedan, or a sport utility, if the payload capacity is there. If it isn't, my first step would be to take less stuff with me when vacationing. If that doesn't work, then by all means purchase a truck. That is what they are for. But it is required in that case for carrying stuff, which is certainly a valid reason, but not necessarily for towing. The two concepts frequently get blurred, IMO.

I like the Taurus SHO that CanAm writes about, with a high output Ecoboost, and less tow vehicle weight to carry around than an F150.

Jeff
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I thought he was referring to the Chrysler 300 reference, whereby a recently purchased used vehicle with a failed rad cap and a cracked expansion tank overheated, and that is somehow relevant for any sedan towing an Airstream.

I'll take a sedan, or a sport utility, if the payload capacity is there. If it isn't, my first step would be to take less stuff with me when vacationing. If that doesn't work, then by all means purchase a truck. That is what they are for. But it is required in that case for carrying stuff, which is certainly a valid reason, but not necessarily for towing. The two concepts frequently get blurred, IMO.

I like the Taurus SHO that CanAm writes about, with a high output Ecoboost, and less tow vehicle weight to carry around than an F150.

Jeff
May be you did not read the thread fully. The jury was out whether the cooling system failed because of the tow, or the towing test failed due to faulty cooling system. Anyway, thats the only member experience with 300 and at a minimum should be taken as a data point. Calling people trolls for having a differing opinion is unacceptable in my book.

I personally have never seen a sedan/minivan towing a large trailer (on the road or in a campground). You can see video of any truck/SUV towing a large trailer up and down a grade on YouTube. I am yet to see a similar video for a sedan/minivan. Why is that? I cannot see them work anywhere but in flat, cool terrain, and used periodically for local trips.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hmmmm. Some guys in the city have never seen a Moose.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Currently Looking...
Orleans , California
Here you go. An SUV towing a large trailer. And by someone with a great deal of experience with Airstreams. His tag line is Airstream Life

https://youtu.be/Hmg3A5l9s0M

Shawn & Kara
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How many of you have towed with both? I have, and going back 45-years. The car (1970s unibody among others) was better in every respect save payload, then, and according to Andy, still is.

A truck is NOT a stable platform, empty, loaded or towing. It can simply carry more. Everything else is compromised for that goal. 4WD only makes bad into worse.

It's okay from 55-65 mph operated within its limits, but not above that. Hitched to an Airstream it is the truck which will initiate the accident. The weak link.

All we have to do is give it broken surface roads and/or wet surfaces. A pickup is a three legged dog.

I use a one ton bought for business nine years ago. Spec'd it for longest life at lowest cost. 2WD for better COG, IFS plus rack & pinion steering.

My grandfathers luxury police spec '68 Dodge Monaco was a better TV. Even though I'd put that Dodge truck up against the similar trucks of anyone here for a test.

Physics of the thing is fact.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
Here you go. An SUV towing a large trailer. And by someone with a great deal of experience with Airstreams. His tag line is Airstream Life

https://youtu.be/Hmg3A5l9s0M

Shawn & Kara

Actually, my TV is a GL350 (same as the one in the video), and I'm pretty familiar with them. It has a very powerful turbo Diesel engine and is rated at 7500#. As I mentioned, I'd like to see a video of a sedan/minivan that have very low tow ratings do the same.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Currently Looking...
Orleans , California
Sorry, end of a long day and misread your post. I almost had one of a 911 towing an Airstream in the UK last year but couldn't stop in time. Not a large trailer but large enough. I've been in a sedan pulling a large Airstream but didn't have a chance to video. As long as the vehicle is rated to pull, and carry the weight I don't see any issues. I will have to set an objective to video said combo when/if I see one again.

Shawn & Kara
Old 06-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
Sorry, end of a long day and misread your post. I almost had one of a 911 towing an Airstream in the UK last year but couldn't stop in time. Not a large trailer but large enough. I've been in a sedan pulling a large Airstream but didn't have a chance to video. As long as the vehicle is rated to pull, and carry the weight I don't see any issues. I will have to set an objective to video said combo when/if I see one again.

Shawn & Kara
No worries. BTW, some Porsche sedans have a relatively high tow rating. I believe Panamera is rated at 4800#. Towing a 5400# trailer with a turbodiesel Benz rated at 7500#, I have a difficult time believing a sedan rated at 1000# (or a minvan rated at 3500#) can tow a triple axle trailer anywhere but on flat cool terrain. A video would definitely help (The fast lane truck guys have videos of pretty much any truck/SUV going up and down a grade).
Old 06-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Walker , Michigan
Towing capability basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
How many of you have towed with both? I have, and going back 45-years. The car (1970s unibody among others) was better in every respect save payload, then, and according to Andy, still is.

A truck is NOT a stable platform, empty, loaded or towing. It can simply carry more. Everything else is compromised for that goal. 4WD only makes bad into worse.

It's okay from 55-65 mph operated within its limits, but not above that. Hitched to an Airstream it is the truck which will initiate the accident. The weak link.

All we have to do is give it broken surface roads and/or wet surfaces. A pickup is a three legged dog.

I use a one ton bought for business nine years ago. Spec'd it for longest life at lowest cost. 2WD for better COG, IFS plus rack & pinion steering.

My grandfathers luxury police spec '68 Dodge Monaco was a better TV. Even though I'd put that Dodge truck up against the similar trucks of anyone here for a test.

Physics of the thing is fact.

Another thing to remember is modern trucks (2010 and newer) are nowhere near what trucks from 2007 where like. They drive like cars, super smooth, loaded and unloaded. Are much more capable on the road than ever before. Making them even better tow vehicles as well. Older trucks bounced around at the smallest imperfections and had rough rides. Any of the big 3 built in the last few years rides as good if not better than any sedan I have been in. They really are that good now.

TV= 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.7L V8 128k miles
Docster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Following post.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:44 PM   #32
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

What are those WBCCI and AIR numbers?
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docster View Post

Only way to know your trailer weight is checking it on a scale. It’s cheap and only takes a minute, but will keep you safe and legal. And yes, you can be pulled over and they can force you to stop and next weigh station. If you are over you can be ticked, and they will not let you leave with your trailer until an adequate tow vehicle shows up.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Always wondered about this, whenever I see those CanAm specials rigged 400% over the tow vehicles design specs.

Do you have first hand knowledge of this happening?
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
What are those WBCCI and AIR numbers?
Membership numbers.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:11 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Walker , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
Always wondered about this, whenever I see those CanAm specials rigged 400% over the tow vehicles design specs.

Do you have first hand knowledge of this happening?

Yes. It has happened to a family member of mine. He had to leave the trailer and come back and get it with his work truck. He was initially pulled over for a non functioning tail light on the trailer. Then they asked him to stop at the next weigh station since he appeared overloaded. He was pulling a double axle utility trailer with a diy pole barn kit on it. Pulling it with a Grand Cherokee.

TV= 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.7L V8 128k miles
Docster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Cybertron , Illinois
I would suggest a link to a summary of the j2807 standard to understand how towing numbers are calculated. If you are bumping up against max numbers in theory or practice, one should understand what the vehicle is capable of at those limits.

You can be within limits, and you may also have to accept 30 sec 0-60 times and 21 sec 40-60 pass. How about 35mph up the mountain? I think this is why people want additional capability in their TV and operate below max published limits.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tow...-the-standard/

So many posts on opnion and second hand knowledge. If you are stating fact provide a footnote to your source, otherwise it does not belong in this topic.
Ambot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:58 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Interesting, please share more details about this, I am truly interested... So they went to the weight station and what happened next? They weighted the trailer / TV, called the car manufacturer to verify the towing capacity of the vehicle, the max axles loads, etc.?

Please tell us.

Quote:
Yes. It has happened to a family member of mine. He had to leave the trailer and come back and get it with his work truck. He was initially pulled over for a non functioning tail light on the trailer. Then they asked him to stop at the next weigh station since he appeared overloaded. He was pulling a double axle utility trailer with a diy pole barn kit on it. Pulling it with a Grand Cherokee.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:08 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Doc is 100%, at least in PA. I checked with a good friend who is a state judge. Tow a trailer not properly hooked up, ie. Brakes, breakaway connection, crossed chains you can get a ticket and if in an accident big issue. Same as towing Amy trailer with a tow vehicle with not enough payload capacity, it's against the law. Officials will simply check the sticker on drivers side door and then sticker on trailer. If tow vehicle is shown to not have the proper weight compared to trailer, ticket and park it. They do not need scales, they do it by stickers. I have seen a Dodge caravan towing a 30' AS, in PA totally illegal.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
paiceman - your friend is good a state judge. It would be great for the community to know what legislation your friend is referring to. With all due respect, ticketing somebody based on sticker, I would called BS. Just to give you the basis for this statement - my TV does not have any sticker information on the towing capabilities, payload information is inaccurate and in fact the sticker value is lower than it results from weighting of the vehicle (manufacturer is using the same sticker throughout the same model, regardless of the engine, options, etc.).

Trailer sticker? Trailers are being modified. The sticker information can't be basis to ticket anybody. You are towing a trailer with certain weight which needs to be verified and not a sticker.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Discussing "alternate" TVs in this forum is very similar to religious/political discussions. I am confident that even if the chief designer of X5 tells you that WDH cannot be used on X5, you would still come up with some way of justifying its use. Same thing for overloaded vehicles. Even if Chief Justice John Roberts tell you that exceeding tow ratings might not be such a good idea, you would still somehow justify it.