Old 07-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
For your items 1 to 4, it would be silly to expect such things. But your error is in thinking that those factors are somehow limiting for a specific vehicle. They may not be. Consider a heavy pickup truck with a 10,000 lb tow rating. Install a 3500 lb receiver on it. Your combination is now rated to tow 3500 lbs. But what about your transmission cooler, your engine torque, your large brakes? Irrelevant to the 3500 lb rating. Now consider that the 3.5 Ecoboost can tow 10,000 lbs in many trucks. Install that same power train in a sedan with 1000 lbs less curb weight. Why would engine power then be a tow limitation?

As to your item 5, "road hugging weight" is a joke as much as it was when it was an advertising slogan in the 1960s. Spend the time setting up the combination. If you are relying on TV weight to compensate for improper setup, the battle is already lost.
I agree that its silly to expect items 1 to 4 for receiver reinforcement and WDH setup -- That was exactly my point. A Chrysler 300 with receiver reinforced is still a Chrysler 300 with 1000# tow rating as nothing regarding pulling/stopping power, transmission, cooling system has been addressed.

As for weight, there is a technical article regarding TV stability and one of the most important factors in stability of bumper pull rigs is the relative weight of TV and trailer. Sorry could not find the link.

I think we are getting into another cycle so I'm going to stop.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
You are not... for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post

I think we are getting into another cycle so I'm going to stop.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We can only hope.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:34 AM   #74
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Well, My FC19 is using a Chevy Traverse for a TV. I learned from Bigbear it is not enough. So I have been shopping for a TV with around 10k TC. The wife is leaning towards F150/F250. Now, the argument becomes, whose money is gonna buy it? Mine or hers? I prefer to spend my money on the 2nd Amendment, while she prefers a purses.

I believe a TV with tow as part of the design is the way to go.
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:31 AM   #75
Avion Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Well, My FC19 is using a Chevy Traverse for a TV. I learned from Bigbear it is not enough. So I have been shopping for a TV with around 10k TC. The wife is leaning towards F150/F250. Now, the argument becomes, whose money is gonna buy it? Mine or hers? I prefer to spend my money on the 2nd Amendment, while she prefers a purses.

Here's my suggested answers:

F150/F250...... F250, of course
His/Hers...... 1/2 and 1/2???
More 2nd Amendment
More purses

Everyone's happy!

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
"If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for entering and remaining in the country illegally you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots."
1987 Avion 34W
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:56 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Trucks were not designed to tow. They were design to move cargo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
(...)

Old 07-12-2016, 06:19 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Isn't cargo moved on trailers? What is used to pull the trailers? Cars are designed to carry people, otherwise they wouldn't need to be modified to pull a trailer. Use what you want, your business.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

Semis were designed for towing. If you are using truck, SUV, minivan for towing, you are compromising different matters (payload, braking, power, handling, number of passengers on board, etc.) with each of them.

As an example, I can't stand the handling of a truck, which in my option is not safe even without a trailer behind. This a subjective opinion, so no need to start a war.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
We had a roofing supply trailer at about 12000 pounds towed with a dually diesel truck designed for that. Show me what else would tow thst trailer. If you can't use a truck, suv or minivan then what do you tow with? A properly set up crew cab truck with payload in the bed is the best vehicle for towing. That's my opinion.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Actually some would say a semi is just a heavy duty pickup with the bed removed and a fifth wheel hitch installed. On a larger scale.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I did find regulatory laws for Australia that specify capacities. They have to have ratings that match vehicle, hitch AND weight bars, and be within weight limits of the trailer being towed. Very specific. It ends up saying must comply with Australian standards. Interesting. I do not think things are spelled out well here but they may need to be considering all these tiny houses that are being built and towed around. Look out honey, a 2x4! Lawyers have to make a living too.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Box Elder , South Dakota
Flat bed tow truck

Does anyone use a tow truck, with a flat bed, to haul a small car as well as to pull the Airstream? Not worried about gas mileage.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:38 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
I don't, but I sure wouldn't be afraid to if I had a race car and the money to go around the country.

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 Crew Longbed
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:16 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I did find regulatory laws for Australia that specify capacities. They have to have ratings that match vehicle, hitch AND weight bars, and be within weight limits of the trailer being towed. Very specific. It ends up saying must comply with Australian standards. Interesting. I do not think things are spelled out well here but they may need to be considering all these tiny houses that are being built and towed around. Look out honey, a 2x4! Lawyers have to make a living too.
I wonder is this approach would work in North America. The tow rating, as far as I can tell, is not really measurable. No manufacturer has ever published the methodology by which they arrive at their rating and without that, how could you prove that a tow rating was valid or not? It's different for a tire or axle rating, of course, because that's a simple measure of downward force on the component. The rating will be set to a point prior to failure and will have been tested and documented. I really don't think you can do that with a tow rating because there are so many variables.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote