You should read this thread about Chrysler 300's performance:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...es-116384.html

Old 06-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #16
Avion Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Not so many years ago most Airstreams were towed with sedans, now people can't imagine it. Don't be fooled, we have been oversold on the need for trucks to do this.
Today's sedans????

Good luck with that!

"If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for entering and remaining in the country illegally you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots."
1987 Avion 34W
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Here we go again... this thread can be closed soon...
Old 06-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
No don't close it, I enjoy repetition.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When the trolls are done I would like to come back into the discussion and see what we can learn from it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Walker , Michigan
Quote:
Not so many years ago most Airstreams were towed with sedans, now people can't imagine it. Don't be fooled, we have been oversold on the need for trucks to do this.

Sedans of the 60s and 70s were built on real frames and heavier. Plus trailers were much lighter even for the same size (lack of tech goodies). That's a very apples to oranges comparison.

TV= 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.7L V8 128k miles
Docster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #21
Avion Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
When the trolls are done I would like to come back into the discussion and see what we can learn from it.

Who are the trolls, dkottum? Anyone but you that has input?

All of the responses in this thread are either thanking the original poster or adding more information based on their own experiences or preferences. No different than your input.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
"If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for entering and remaining in the country illegally you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots."
1987 Avion 34W
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #22
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Who are the trolls, dkottum? Anyone but you that has input?

All of the responses in this thread are either thanking the original poster or adding more information based on their own experiences or preferences. No different than your input.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
I thought he was referring to the Chrysler 300 reference, whereby a recently purchased used vehicle with a failed rad cap and a cracked expansion tank overheated, and that is somehow relevant for any sedan towing an Airstream.

I'll take a sedan, or a sport utility, if the payload capacity is there. If it isn't, my first step would be to take less stuff with me when vacationing. If that doesn't work, then by all means purchase a truck. That is what they are for. But it is required in that case for carrying stuff, which is certainly a valid reason, but not necessarily for towing. The two concepts frequently get blurred, IMO.

I like the Taurus SHO that CanAm writes about, with a high output Ecoboost, and less tow vehicle weight to carry around than an F150.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I thought he was referring to the Chrysler 300 reference, whereby a recently purchased used vehicle with a failed rad cap and a cracked expansion tank overheated, and that is somehow relevant for any sedan towing an Airstream.

I'll take a sedan, or a sport utility, if the payload capacity is there. If it isn't, my first step would be to take less stuff with me when vacationing. If that doesn't work, then by all means purchase a truck. That is what they are for. But it is required in that case for carrying stuff, which is certainly a valid reason, but not necessarily for towing. The two concepts frequently get blurred, IMO.

I like the Taurus SHO that CanAm writes about, with a high output Ecoboost, and less tow vehicle weight to carry around than an F150.

Jeff
May be you did not read the thread fully. The jury was out whether the cooling system failed because of the tow, or the towing test failed due to faulty cooling system. Anyway, thats the only member experience with 300 and at a minimum should be taken as a data point. Calling people trolls for having a differing opinion is unacceptable in my book.

I personally have never seen a sedan/minivan towing a large trailer (on the road or in a campground). You can see video of any truck/SUV towing a large trailer up and down a grade on YouTube. I am yet to see a similar video for a sedan/minivan. Why is that? I cannot see them work anywhere but in flat, cool terrain, and used periodically for local trips.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #24
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hmmmm. Some guys in the city have never seen a Moose.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Orleans , Ontario
Here you go. An SUV towing a large trailer. And by someone with a great deal of experience with Airstreams. His tag line is Airstream Life

https://youtu.be/Hmg3A5l9s0M

Shawn & Kara
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How many of you have towed with both? I have, and going back 45-years. The car (1970s unibody among others) was better in every respect save payload, then, and according to Andy, still is.

A truck is NOT a stable platform, empty, loaded or towing. It can simply carry more. Everything else is compromised for that goal. 4WD only makes bad into worse.

It's okay from 55-65 mph operated within its limits, but not above that. Hitched to an Airstream it is the truck which will initiate the accident. The weak link.

All we have to do is give it broken surface roads and/or wet surfaces. A pickup is a three legged dog.

I use a one ton bought for business nine years ago. Spec'd it for longest life at lowest cost. 2WD for better COG, IFS plus rack & pinion steering.

My grandfathers luxury police spec '68 Dodge Monaco was a better TV. Even though I'd put that Dodge truck up against the similar trucks of anyone here for a test.

Physics of the thing is fact.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
Here you go. An SUV towing a large trailer. And by someone with a great deal of experience with Airstreams. His tag line is Airstream Life

https://youtu.be/Hmg3A5l9s0M

Shawn & Kara

Actually, my TV is a GL350 (same as the one in the video), and I'm pretty familiar with them. It has a very powerful turbo Diesel engine and is rated at 7500#. As I mentioned, I'd like to see a video of a sedan/minivan that have very low tow ratings do the same.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:24 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Orleans , Ontario
Sorry, end of a long day and misread your post. I almost had one of a 911 towing an Airstream in the UK last year but couldn't stop in time. Not a large trailer but large enough. I've been in a sedan pulling a large Airstream but didn't have a chance to video. As long as the vehicle is rated to pull, and carry the weight I don't see any issues. I will have to set an objective to video said combo when/if I see one again.

Shawn & Kara