Old 01-29-2007, 11:54 PM   #15
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I almost always travel alone and find that people are more than willing to help if you just ask (and often even if you don't). Yes, if you are backing up alone, go very slowly, make small corrections, and KEEP getting out and checking. But I find that it is so much easier with a spotter. Sometimes there is a small marker or something low that is hard to see. There usually seems to be a parking pro or a helpful neighbor at every campground. It's a great way to meet your neighbors.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have set up and hooked up solo on a number of occasions. I actually like it better. I don't feel as pressured as when someone is "helping" me. A solo set up just requires getting out of the truck a number of times to check things. I figure that I can use the exercise anyway.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:08 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
I have 2 cameras connected to my GPS.. one on the rear of my Airstream.. perfect for backing up and also as a rear-viewer when driving... and one on the rear of my car.. just above the hitch... hooking up is a piece of cake.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #18
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Lights, Camears, action...
With my setup, it would be hard to hook-up (but not impossable)
I have 2 hard wired cameras which I installed.
#1 (the ball cam) is for hitching up
#2 is mounted inside the AS, and points out back.

The system was around 300 bucks, with 2 cameras and it's worked for 3 years now. I keep the rearview on whenever I'm driving.

The physical hook up is not a problem. Reese bars/Airhitch
60,000 towed miles.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	astream06sm.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	31557  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #19
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
The system was around 300 bucks, with 2 cameras and it's worked for 3 years now. I keep the rearview on whenever I'm driving.
Hey Michael, that sounds like a good system -- good being reasonably priced and useful -- any chance you'd like to share more details about it, including make and how you accomplished the wiring? I'm particularly interested in how you ended up crossing the hitch for the trailer camera, if it's not wireless...

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #20
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
The best way is to make friends as soon as you pull up to your site. As mentioned I always offer help and never feel bad when they say no thanks and the hit the fire pit!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Ditto all the above advice. Especially getting out and looking -- a lot.

My mother travels alone. She's 80! While she's in a motorhome and not a trailer, so the problems are different, she has found other people very helpful -- especially older gentlemen who seem to want a few minutes to be bossy away from their wives.

She's not good at water hookups especially -- very small spaces and arthritic fingers. She always gets help.

Campers are friendly people. Ask for help.

Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The only time I have had a problem backing up, is when I had someone to watch what I was doing. Thousands of miles towing solo, and not a problem. Remember GOAL: Get Out And Look.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I don't tow a trailer (well, unless you count the tow dolly with a car on it, but those can't be backed up anyway), but even backing my small motorhome into a spot, since I'm alone, I'm always popping out and looking around. The nice thing about the small motorhome is that it usually only takes one look.

However, leveling the blasted thing is another story. I don't have a leveling system; I have to raise and lower each tire with levelling blocs. So, I get it into the spot I want, check the level, move backward (or forward), place some blocks, get back in, pull on to the blocks, check level, discover I need more blocks because the first ones sank in a little bit, back up, ... well, you get the idea. I'm sure I look pretty silly getting in and out so many times. And of course I travel with my cat, so I'm careful to close the door each time in case he makes a break for it. But...my main point here is that if I can survive doing that, you shouldn't feel at all silly about getting out and looking around, multiple times if necessary. We'd rather see that than a damaged Airstream.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater
However, leveling the blasted thing is another story. I don't have a leveling system; I have to raise and lower each tire with levelling blocs. So, I get it into the spot I want, check the level, move backward (or forward), place some blocks, get back in, pull on to the blocks, check level, discover I need more blocks because the first ones sank in a little bit, back up, ... well, you get the idea. I'm sure I look pretty silly getting in and out so many times. And of course I travel with my cat, so I'm careful to close the door each time in case he makes a break for it. But...my main point here is that if I can survive doing that, you shouldn't feel at all silly about getting out and looking around, multiple times if necessary. We'd rather see that than a damaged Airstream.
Not sure if this will help you with leveling a MH and they only work on single axle trailers...but it sure helps me when I am travelling by myself.

BAL Leveler

As far as backing in...I try not to, but when I have to, same as everybody else. GET OUT & LOOK FOR YOURSELF. I don't care how big my audience gets or how many helpers step up to volunteer...I only trust my own eyes. I gently tell the helpers I have a routine and after I get settled, I'd love to hear about theirs. Up-down-all around...always, check one more time than you think is necessary. That and go slow. It does get easier each time, but the obstacles change with each campsite...

Another suggestion, go to an empty parking lot with some cones & practice, but if I can do it anybody can! Just go slow & don't care what people think ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:08 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

I prefer to be left alone when parking my trailer - watchers make me nervous. Don't remember who said it but "He travels fastest travels alone. He who travels with another must wait." Darol
Old 01-31-2007, 09:24 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Livingston , Terry
I tow solo and have come up with a few 'tricks' to hitch up. Draw-Tite makes a $25 device that has a magnet on the bottom. They are bright yellow plastic poles. One goes on your ball and one on the tongue of the trailer. I certainly makes hitching up eaiser. Don't pull in to an RV park after dark without someone helping you to back in a space and most of all 'take your time'. Go slow, it's ok, everyone certainly understands a solo driver getting out every few feet to check his/her progress.

On Air
WBCCI # 5657
SKP # 88037
2006 25' Classic
2006 Ford 6.0 PSD
Old 02-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #27
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Don't remember who said it but "He travels fastest travels alone." Darol
Kipling

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

My trick for backing into a spot is............

I lay out those orange leveling blocks around the spot I want the trailer to end up. It doesn't eliminate the blind side but it lets me know where I am.
Sincerely, MD