Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Palm Harbor , Florida
Towing an Airstream With a Dodge Durango Citadel

New Guy here.

I hope this hasn't been answered to death, but I'm trying to get your thoughts on an appropriate Airstream size that I might be able to tow with my 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel. It has the 5.7L Hemi V8, 6 spd automatic, on call 4WD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Class IV Receiver Hitch, 7 and 4 pin Wiring Harness, Heavy Duty Engine Cooling 220 amp Altenator and Rear Load Leveling Suspension.

I love the car, but want to make sure it's appropriate for towing an Airstream. Any thoughts or opinions one way or the other?
Docsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Well there’s the “what’s legal” approach and the “what’s possible” approach. So first you need to decide which one you care about.

From a legal perspective, none of the items above matter. Only the stickered tongue weight and gross combined vehicle. Take your vehicle and trailer curb (dry) weights and then add in conservative guesses for passengers, baggage, food, water, etc.

From a possible approach, buy a 33’ and a propride and don’t worry about it.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I have a 214 Durango Limited AWD with towng package. Rated at 7200 lbs. Personal opinion only, you should be good up to a 25 foot Airstream.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsider View Post
New Guy here.

I hope this hasn't been answered to death, but I'm trying to get your thoughts on an appropriate Airstream size that I might be able to tow with my 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel. It has the 5.7L Hemi V8, 6 spd automatic, on call 4WD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Class IV Receiver Hitch, 7 and 4 pin Wiring Harness, Heavy Duty Engine Cooling 220 amp Altenator and Rear Load Leveling Suspension.

I love the car, but want to make sure it's appropriate for towing an Airstream. Any thoughts or opinions one way or the other?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Palm Harbor , Florida
Hey thanks. I guess there aren't a lot of folks towing an AS with a Durango. I suspected it would be ok, but just wasn't sure ... (confidant) it was the correct vehicle. I can manage either purchasing a trailer, or a new TV, but not both.

Thanks everyone.
Docsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Hey thanks. I guess there aren't a lot of folks towing an AS with a Durango. I suspected it would be ok, but just wasn't sure ... (confidant) it was the correct vehicle. I can manage either purchasing a trailer, or a new TV, but not both.

Thanks everyone.
It's rated to tow the weight and the Hemi has as much horsepower as any of the truck engines. It's a 2012...you're going to need a new one sooner or later so try it and see!
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
There are many more people using the Jeep Cherokee, which is the same vehicle but shorter wheelbase, shorter overall length and only two rows of seats. If the Jeep works the Dodge will.

Bill

Quote:

Thanks everyone.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #7

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Bloomington , Indiana
Towing 25 ft RB international serenity with 2017 Durango Citadel

I am towing 25 ft RB international serenity with 2017 Durango Citadel. The Hemi Citadel has plenty of power.

I discovered the 25 ft RB international serenity had wild unacceptable sway towing off the ball above 45-50 mph. I installed a Blue OX hitch and sway is acceptable at 60 and still better at 75 than towing off the ball at 45-50.

Question:
WHAT IS THE SMALLEST SIZE PICKUP anyone has TOWING a 25 ft RB OFF THE BALL at 75 MPH with MINIMAL SWAY ?? In my opinion hooking up the Blue Ox Hitch is a hassle (an extra 5 minutes min to hook up.). I wouldn’t mind buying an F150 however a larger truck would only be used for towing and would be the same investment as an entry level diesel pusher.
Johnfgriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A recent Durango or Expedition (among yet more) is better as a TV and family vehicle than any pickup (mainly, fully independent suspension).

The inexperience/ignorance around here will run you crazy. Contact Andy Thomson at Can Am about your year model specifics.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfgriner View Post
-- snip -- hooking up the Blue Ox Hitch is a hassle (an extra 5 minutes min to hook up.).
Practice, it gets easier. No travel trailer should be towed on the ball, without sway control.

There is a thread running now with a rolled 30 that was likely being delivered on the ball. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540...me-192222.html

Your BOSP is about the third best design, but a good design that will do the job. Dual Cam and PPP designs are better and can improve your performance.

Your Durango has the right wheelbase, the right suspension, the right brakes, and the right power plant. You have a problem with the setup of your rig or an excessive expectation as to travel trailer towing performance in severe conditions.

Three choices - 1) tune your rig. Takes weighing the axles, balancing the loads by moving weight to over the axles, and adjusting weight distribution for best performance. May need tires with better side wall rigidity. May need a more rigid TV receiver (can't flex). 2) install a PPP style hitch and then do #1. 3) sell your rig and buy that DP motorhome.

If you decide to buy a truck, get the DP instead. Seriously, Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:48 AM   #10

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Bloomington , Indiana
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the advice. If “any travel trailer should be towed with a sway control hitch,” that completes my search for something that is not available

PS: I did buy a 35’ diesel pusher and I like it a lot. lts better because when you get to your destination you push the auto leveler button, push the electric awning button and you’re done!

Problem is girlfriend thinks airstream is very cool and DP is obnoxious lol. Yes I know: trade her off before I marry her, will save me a lot of money (lol)

If you see a DP pulling an airstream down the road waive at me.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #11

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Bloomington , Indiana
Hi Pat

Thank for advice on ppp Henley hitch. The hitch stays on the trailer. Looks very quick / easy to hook up in the video. I will try one.

Thanks John