Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Beautiful Santa Rosa , California
Towing a (new to us) Ambassador

Hi All,
My wife and I have just taken the Airstream plunge and bought a 1969 Ambassador (approximate weight 4465 pounds, 445 tongue weight). I plan on towing it home to the Bay Area from the Sierra foothills, but am slightly terrified after reading some of the posts here on Airforums. My current options, TV-wise are a 2000 Dodge Dakota that has a Tekonsha brake controller, a 2008 Porsche Cayenne (listed towing capacity is 7,700 pounds and 616 pounds tongue weight on the factory Class 3 receiver), or wait for my business colleague to loan me his huge Dodge Ram (specs unknown).

I will continue to search the forum for this info, but in the meantime I am wondering:

Do I need a weight distributing hitch/anti sway?

Electric brake controller?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
David
2002sheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Congrats on your new baby, I'm no expert here, but with no passengers, no camping gear, an empty and dry trailer, 4500lbs is quite manageable with a brake controller probably, and you're going downhill from the sierra ! Do you have a weight distribution set up yet? probably not. Maybe wait for the Ram ... lots to learn about hitches , sway bar attachment and weight distribution bars.
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Hi Nick,
Thanks! I am getting the same impression. My wife and I are going to see the AS for the first time today. Sounds as if one topic will be how soon it needs to leave, since I do not have a weight distributing hitch/anti-sway setup. I do have a Tekonsha controller that I will need to move to our 2006 Cayenne (heaviest vehicle with largest towing capacity that we have). Lots to learn... but I am excited to see this AS, stench and all...

Thanks,
David
Old 01-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
A few thoughts -

Trailer condition:
Tires (age not tread),Brakes, bearings packed, frame solid, lights functional, break away and battery operational. Inspect and determine safe to tow.

Tow vehicle:
Porsche has some issues with brake and light connectivity that may require fidling to install. Otherwise a great solution with big brakes. Do your research before you tow. Your most seat time has a significant advantage if capable.

Weight:
Specification weights are not always accurate. Built up dirt, upgrades, repairs and similar stuff can add weight. If the coach has not been weighed on a scale, do not assume.

WDH:
Available at Camping World and most truck/trailer equipment distributors. Review CanAm's Eaz-Lift recomendations. Simple, easy to use, not very expensive and effective. Later upgrade if needed.

Alternatives:
Pay a mover to bring it home if you are not comfortable towing. Store the coach close to where it is now if the mover is too expensive. Schedules kill. Do not move until safe to do so and that includes you being ready to do the task.

Speed:
Slow is safe (40-45 better than 55-60). You can adjust later with skill, experience, rig setup tuning and full safety verification. Routes with minimum traffic, lower speed, and least difficulty are a key to safe learning. Towing is not same as driving solo. Full concentration 100% of the time is required. Initially, getting it home safely is your objective.

A partner:
A spotter and someone to help with vehicle operation to allow you to concentrate on driving is of significantly value.

Good Luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
A few thoughts -

Trailer condition:
Tires (age not tread),Brakes, bearings packed, frame solid, lights functional, break away and battery operational. Inspect and determine safe to tow.

Tow vehicle:
Porsche has some issues with brake and light connectivity that may require fidling to install. Otherwise a great solution with big brakes. Do your research before you tow. Your most seat time has a significant advantage if capable.

Weight:
Specification weights are not always accurate. Built up dirt, upgrades, repairs and similar stuff can add weight. If the coach has not been weighed on a scale, do not assume.

WDH:
Available at Camping World and most truck/trailer equipment distributors. Review CanAm's Eaz-Lift recomendations. Simple, easy to use, not very expensive and effective. Later upgrade if needed.

Alternatives:
Pay a mover to bring it home if you are not comfortable towing. Store the coach close to where it is now if the mover is too expensive. Schedules kill. Do not move until safe to do so and that includes you being ready to do the task.

Speed:
Slow is safe (40-45 better than 55-60). You can adjust later with skill, experience, rig setup tuning and full safety verification. Routes with minimum traffic, lower speed, and least difficulty are a key to safe learning. Towing is not same as driving solo. Full concentration 100% of the time is required. Initially, getting it home safely is your objective.

A partner:
A spotter and someone to help with vehicle operation to allow you to concentrate on driving is of significantly value.

Good Luck. Pat

Very good points, especially about the tires. If sat for while unused, you can bet the tires are shot. I've only ever bought two trailers, but my first stop was a tire shop before headed home. Bearings could need fresh grease too. And that virgin drive can be kind of nerve wracking ! Good luck.
Mine had a funky smell, it's mainly from old foams, fabric and carpet if there is one. Once I'd taken mine out, and washed the walls , all good.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
My input- WD/anti-sway mandatory. Anything is better than nothing then upgrade when you learn more.
If you have never towed before, I highly recommend lessons. This will especially helpful when backing up.
Have fun.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
New to us 1970 Ambassador

Hi All,
Thanks -- this is all very helpful! My wife and I went to see the AS in Grass Valley, CA, about 2.5 hours from where we live. Tires look okay. This vehicle was used recently, and the person that towed it to its current location said that the bearings did not seem to be an issue. Of course, I will do a full inspection/tear down when I get the AS back here...
...which still leaves the question of the brakes. Is there a way to determine "in the field" if the electric brakes are activating/working? This AS is parked in a towing company yard (the AS was abandoned on a highway when the tow vehicle broke down, and the towing company ended up with it), and they are not going to want me to be spending hours on it before hauling away...
My current plan is to acquire a WD hitch and adapter for the wiring cable between the AS and the TV (my choices are Dodge Dakota with towing package or 2008 Cayenne -- also with towing package) and (if the TV is the Cayenne) install the Tekonsha brake controller and plan a route that avoids the highways. I can probably get up to the location by 8 a.m. on Saturday, and after installing the WD hitch and testing the wiring head slowly back to Santa Rosa. It took 2.5 hours one way today, so hopefully by leaving by 9 I could get back by dark :-)
I have towed trailers before, but nothing close to this weight and length. Any additional advice/correction of any wrong assumptions I am making will be welcomed.

Thanks,
David
Old 01-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002sheds View Post
Hi All,
Thanks -- this is all very helpful! My wife and I went to see the AS in Grass Valley, CA, about 2.5 hours from where we live. Tires look okay. This vehicle was used recently, and the person that towed it to its current location said that the bearings did not seem to be an issue. Of course, I will do a full inspection/tear down when I get the AS back here...
...which still leaves the question of the brakes. Is there a way to determine "in the field" if the electric brakes are activating/working? This AS is parked in a towing company yard (the AS was abandoned on a highway when the tow vehicle broke down, and the towing company ended up with it), and they are not going to want me to be spending hours on it before hauling away...
My current plan is to acquire a WD hitch and adapter for the wiring cable between the AS and the TV (my choices are Dodge Dakota with towing package or 2008 Cayenne -- also with towing package) and (if the TV is the Cayenne) install the Tekonsha brake controller and plan a route that avoids the highways. I can probably get up to the location by 8 a.m. on Saturday, and after installing the WD hitch and testing the wiring head slowly back to Santa Rosa. It took 2.5 hours one way today, so hopefully by leaving by 9 I could get back by dark :-)
I have towed trailers before, but nothing close to this weight and length. Any additional advice/correction of any wrong assumptions I am making will be welcomed.

Thanks,
David

there's LOTS of chatter on this forum about tires, you can see when they were manufactured by a stamp on the side. It's 4 digits, that are week number & year. Some here are paranoid about changing tires every 4 years or so, but ive asked lots of tire shops, most say they'll last a lot longer if covered from the sun and used rather than sat. They also say that most tire blowouts are from under inflation and speed. I'd be tempted to take an electric 12v pump as finding a gas station with an accessible air pump is challenging to say the least! Your ride back will be easy, just drive slow and within an hour you'll feel like an old pro!
Old 01-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
You can look online on how to test your brake controller to see if it’s working. It’s a simple test.
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
New to us 1970 Ambassador

Hi Nick, T, All,
Thanks again for the responses! I am becoming more confident in at least knowing what to get ready for this "maiden voyage".
T, I think I can set up the controller (I have viewed the Youtube video several times). It is the brakes themselves that I know nothing about, other than they look to be electric...
Nick, thanks very much for your advice. I plan on driving up early Sunday and taking back roads on the return route. As you said, nice and slow.

Hopefully, before I leave on Sunday the current owner will "evict" a couple of stowaways that seem to have made their way into the walls/roof. My walk-through yesterday was accompanied my the scamper of tiny feet overhead -- a little un-nerving... I was planning on removing the interior skins and floor to clean everything anyway (and maybe change the layout to a rear bedroom, but I did not anticipate that there would be current occupants.

I still have not figured out which TV to use. The 2008 Porsche Cayenne V6 has the advantage of weight (Cayenne is at least 4,762 pounds versus 4,392 for the Dakota), and it may weigh more than the trailer. The Dakota is a V8 and has the extra cooling radiator for towing, plus a 16 inch longer wheelbase. The electronic brake controller is also already installed in the Dakota, so it would be one less hassle if I take it. If I had to guess right now, the Dakota might be a better bet, even though it is about the same weight as the trailer. Thoughts?

Thanks again for all of the advice. It is extremely helpful!
David
Old 01-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Towing a (new to us) Ambassador

When you start refurbishing, look for critter entrance paths and plug them up. One critical point is the ends of the A-frame tubes. The ends are open and are a mouse highway. Also look around the step area and dump valve area for easy entrance points.

A gap the diameter of a dime will easy pass a field mouse, for the scale of what you are looking for.

Amazon has a product called “Rodent Stop”, if I remember correctly that is a roll of Fiberglas and stainless steel fibers that rodents supposedly cannot chew through. It cuts with a sturdy pair of scissors and has the advantage of letting air and moisture through whilst keeping critters out.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Abandoned and wound up with the towing company? Are you sure there won’t be any title or registration issues?

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi and welcome from Colorado: You're buying a project. I enjoy working on these old Airstreams. And I enjoy towing them to new adventures in our retirement.

1969 was the first year of the new body style. Some folks call the 69s the "square wing window Airstreams" is it is the only year they used a square outside corner on the bottom front wing windows. My son has a 69 Globetrotter 21' Airstream. See photo. We've done some pretty extensive work to it.

You will soon be on your recovery mission for this old Ambassador 28' Airstream. There are towing checklists here on these Forums you can check out. Here is one:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...st-150041.html

I just "recovered" a 1975 Overlander 27' that was 1200 miles away.

1. inspected and verified correct pressure in the tires,
2. jacked up the side of the trailer and pulled the safety brake cable to verify both wheels locked up with the brakes,
3 spun the wheels while jacked up listening for a rough bearing,
4. adjusted my tow vehicle hitch to match the trailer ball height (usually about 19" off of level ground)
5. verified the trailer had at least 12v in the battery
6. plugged in my tow vehicle and verified all lights worked: tail, turn, brake, and marker lights.
7. hitched up and pulled the trailer a few miles to test the brakes, how the trailer tracked behind me, and how it turned.

And off I went on my journey home. Secondary roads for me at maybe 55 mph, slow and easy.

I bought my compressor, bottle jack, ladder, tool box, emergency triangles, duct tape, and I can't remember what all else.

Yep, you need a proper weight distribution hitch with some sway control. It will take a few hours to install a new hitch on the trailer. Many of them do not require drilling into the frame. You need a brake controller in the tow vehicle. You need the vehicle wired for the 7 pin umbilical cord. The class 3 receiver is marginal for this trailer. The big Ram will pull it easily.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1009 Curbside (Small).JPG
Views:	60
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	302224  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
1970 New to Us Ambassador

Hi All,
In the end I hired the job out. I am glad that I did, because the electric brakes look to be disconnected, and that would have been a bit more exciting than I may have wanted on some of the downhills. The wheel bearings were okay, and the trailer was simply towed, not put onto a flatbed.
Now it is on to cleaning out the inside and hatches and start to get an idea of how much is here versus how much it needs.
Thanks for all the help! This forum has become a daily multi-read.

Thanks,
David
Old 01-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well, we expect pictures of this 69 Ambasador "as found".

You are right, these Forums are chock full of information related to the 69 model year and the Ambassador model. I might add that the 69 through 77 Ambassadors are likely very similar. Don't limit your reading just to the 69 model year.

Here is my 75 Overlander on my way home with it. "As Found" so to speak. It is a 27' as opposed to your next size up Ambassador 29'. The Sovereign was the 31' max size Airstream at the time. I have mine rather torn apart now as I repair the "rear end separation", install new waste water tanks, install new axles, install new fresh water plumbing, and on and on. My goal is to make it solid and reliable as well as more modern appliances and fixtures.

Here is my "Overlander Improvement Journal" that I try to describe the work as I go in hopes it might help someone someday. It's pretty boring.

David

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f170...ml#post2053792
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Awnings (Small).JPG
Views:	53
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	302367   Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 As found gaucho 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	302368  

Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Wow,,!! That interior looks incredible, like showroom condition. That's the original gaucho assuming. Did you keep this fabric or toss? I had to throw mine away, just smelt bad.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
The "soft materials" in my Overlander are trash. Full of mold and mildew and really smell bad. The interior shot looks nice enough, but it ain't clean. The curtains were new and are in good shape, so they stay.

We may not select 70's color patterns when we redecorate. I don't have any bell bottom pants that would match anymore. Things change.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 01-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
The "soft materials" in my Overlander are trash. Full of mold and mildew and really smell bad. The interior shot looks nice enough, but it ain't clean. The curtains were new and are in good shape, so they stay.

We may not select 70's color patterns when we redecorate. I don't have any bell bottom pants that would match anymore. Things change.

David
had to throw all mine out too, I mean 40+ old foam bedding & couch ? yuck! The smell was awful. We went with a solid color for the Gaucho and had custom mattresses made, kinda pricey, but the quality of sleep is fantastic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2469.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	302434  
Old 01-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
A great photo of that California sun streaming in your trailer. My Overlander doesn't have vista view window, which is okay by me. Seeing that blue ski and sunshine certainly gives me second thoughts.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !