Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Towing a gutted Airstream

Hey folks,

I wanted to ask to see if anyone has towed a gutted A/S before and what precautions did you take? My A/S is nothing but an exterior wall (with bracing) and the frame. No interior what so ever. I plan to put a temporary floor in to reduce the "kite" effect from the wind, but other than that, is there anything else you suppose I can do to have a successful trip. I'm going from Mississippi to Michigan and will have a tail vehicle for spotting any problems

What about strapping down the exterior with tow straps? I'm thinking that this would not be necessary, as the interior is completely braced with two 4x4s running down both sides with 2x4s crisscrossing throughout and then attached to every rib on the inside

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Brian

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Depends on how crazy you really are.
How is the shell connected to the chassis?
How far do you have to tow it?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Are you saying that there's no floor at all?

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB
Depends on how crazy you really are.
How is the shell connected to the chassis?
How far do you have to tow it?
Well, the only connection is the front and rear brackets. I'm also going to use steel ribbons to tie down the bracing throughout. I'm going to be dragging it about 1000 miles

I've been called crazy before, but this might take me over the top. I already know that I'm going to be traveling well below the posted speed limits, as I don't expect that it's going to travel like it did when it had all it's pieces in it

Old 04-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae
Are you saying that there's no floor at all?
No floor, just exterior shell and frame. I will put in a temp floor for the trip, though

Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Is it the 74 31' trailer or another one?
What is your tow vehicle?
I think that the running gear of the trailer.. axles, shocks and the condition of the frame might be the the things that would concern me most.

Does the interior have any the panels still in place?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Do not throw tie down straps over the shell as a hold down. You will ruin the structure...chafe it to death.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
"What about strapping down the exterior with tow straps? I'm thinking that this would not be necessary, as the interior is completely braced with two 4x4s running down both sides with 2x4s crisscrossing throughout and then attached to every rib on the inside"

Definately no to the exterior straps.. but it sounds like its well supported inside. How about a picture for us? The experienced guys would have a better idea. There will be lots of movement and those inner walls also give the shell strength..

Good luck and take it slow.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
If the C channel is still in place, use that to fasten the trailer to the temp floor. If you're removed the C channel already, use the same rivet holes to fasten the shell to wooden bracing that's bolted to the frame. Pan head screws w/ washers would work well for this.

You want to tie the frame and shell together; that attachment needs to be distributed all along the perimeter of the shell.

Other's advice about not strapping over the trailer and checking the running gear carefully is worth heeding...

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Well folks, I'm happy to report that the Airstream survived the 1000 mile journey from Mississippi to Michigan. This thing amazes me all the time. I took a chance with the old running gear, but it held up to the test. I did remove and repack all the bearings, but used the old tires that were in place, as I couldn't afford new tires at this time. They did just fine and being that they were Goodyear, it gave me a bit of confidence.

I did put in a temp floor, but attached it to the bracing that I had installed earlier, then put some more plywood along the walls at about a 45 degree angle. I was very concerned about the wind drag coming up through the bottom, as it wasn't completely sealed, so I took out the rear window and lower compartment door. That helped out tremendously!

As far as the inner walls, I left them out. I did have a little concern about the whole thing collapsing, but, again, it did fine.

I'll have to take some pictures of what I did to help out any others that have to tow a torn apart Airstream.

Probably going to be a while before I get started back at rebuilding, but learned a lot from just putting in the temp floor, especially at how much the walls flex and getting the c channel lined back up on the outriggers.

Until next time, thanks for all the advice!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Outstanding. I'm sure it was an adventure.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thanks, Dan. It sure was.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
I really cannot think that an Airstream shell minus its closets/walls, etc would be a collapse concern. So long as it is attached securely to its floor, I would not worry at all. The monocoque structure will hold up.

I recently tore apart a 1970's pickup camper slide in shell. I got the most useable parts off of it, then was left with the actual shell and I started tearing out closets, etc. Well, the mail wooden corner supports were rotted and gone on the street side, so when I tore out just the right closet wall, the whole roof started to cave in. I had to brace it then figure out how to go at it with my Sawzall to dismantle it safely. It was an adventure...but I kept thinking to myself: "It's not an Airstream, that is for sure!" The closets do not form the structure in an AS!

I am still working on burning what was left of the wooden frame and getting ready to scrap a bunch of the metal siding and plumbing. It was an adventure to be sure!

Ben
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Valley Village , California
I'm about to have to tow an Airstream without the interior walls. It has a new floor and the outer walls and C-channel are in place and attached. Is there anything I should know before I do damage or cause an accident? Any suggestions so it's safe?
amalgamator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
Glacier , Washington
Hi,
We are about to do the same thing with our 1960 Traveler. No interior skins, c-channels still on and a new sub-floor. We will bolt the sub-floor down, put screws in the c-channel and brace the heck out of the shell. We've got brand new tires and repacked the hubs a few years ago. Axle is straight (no brakes) and we have a F150 V8 so not worried about pulling it.

And we are only going 90 miles! Thanks to your post, I think we can do this. Stacia
60traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Mississauga , Ontario
Towing a gutted 1957 22' Caravanner

I plan to do the same to my AS around the last week of December. I have started gutting the trailer and its getting too cold here in Toronto to apply sealants to seal all leaks so I plan to tow it to our warehouse on the last week of December.

Thank you so much for all the info!
Brasslens is offline   Reply With Quote