Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Towing a Caravel with BMW 535 AWD

I just got a 08 BMW 535xi for my wife. Is anyone towing with one of these? I think the AS would look great behind it going down the highway.

Ace in PA

TAC PA-1
WBCCI 2169

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130831_095515.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	194622

Old 08-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I med a Canadian couple in a WalMart parking lot last year towing a T@B with a 5 series. They were very pleased. Your Caravel isn't that much bigger than a T@B.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
I med a Canadian couple in a WalMart parking lot last year towing a T@B with a 5 series. They were very pleased. Your Caravel isn't that much bigger than a T@B.
You are right but that T@B won't be going down the road after 40 years like my Caravel. Still looking for any info on the BMW.

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Here's something from the Bimmer forum...How much can I tow with 535xi? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums It would be cool to see the 535 towing the Caravel. What's the ground clearance on that car? I have a 335 vert but that baby is just to drive. Mine has a low ground clearance and wouldn't work wouldn't work for for the places I like to tow. Speed bumps give me enough grief!
Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflys View Post
You are right but that T@B won't be going down the road after 40 years like my Caravel. Still looking for any info on the BMW.
I agree that the Caravel is the much nicer trailer. My point was that they were happy pulling with a BMW.

Seems to me that your Caravel is just about the perfect trailer for your situation.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflys View Post
I just got a 08 BMW 535xi for my wife. Is anyone towing with one of these? I think the AS would look great behind it going down the highway.

Ace in PA

TAC PA-1
WBCCI 2169

I own a BMW/Mercedes/Mini repair shop. When asked by customers about towing with anything less than an X3 or X5 I suggest they do not. Even with the X3/X5, V8, 6cylinder, gas or diesel, I ask them to consider the driveline and tires. The transmissions have some weaknesses and the tires are generally high performance tires unless they have been changed over to an all-season tire. With BMW's policy of "life-time" transmission fill, no service required, they are lucky to go 125k without issues, without the stress of towing. If you want to tow with a BMW, I would suggest a V8 or Diesel X5. I personally could not even imagine towing with anything less, especially on some of the passes in Colorado.
You might get your mechanics opinion on this subject, taking into consideration your vehicle's overall condition.
Road Jager
Old 09-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
That 535xi is really sweet. I suspect it has similar bones and drive train as our 03 Infiniti G35. Our car has performed very well towing the 23' for over 200hrs. The stock V rated performance tires work great to keep the rig in check. You should talk to the folks at Can Am for hook up info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	infiniti can am.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	194734  
Old 09-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
I own a BMW/Mercedes/Mini repair shop. When asked by customers about towing with anything less than an X3 or X5 I suggest they do not. Even with the X3/X5, V8, 6cylinder, gas or diesel, I ask them to consider the driveline and tires. The transmissions have some weaknesses and the tires are generally high performance tires unless they have been changed over to an all-season tire. With BMW's policy of "life-time" transmission fill, no service required, they are lucky to go 125k without issues, without the stress of towing. If you want to tow with a BMW, I would suggest a V8 or Diesel X5. I personally could not even imagine towing with anything less, especially on some of the passes in Colorado.
You might get your mechanics opinion on this subject, taking into consideration your vehicle's overall condition.
Road Jager
That was not what I wanted to hear about the BMW's granny. Saying that we all of towing

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
Road Jager
That was not what I wanted to hear about the BMW's granny. Saying that we do all are towing on the east coast. I have been towing with a Grand Caravan with no issues(knock on wood). Thanks for the input. I will do some more research.

Ace in Pa.(Streaming in WV)

WBCCI 2169
TAC. PA-1

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Send AndyT of CanAm a PM, or give him a call. He'll advise you of your options.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
We used our 2000 BMW 540it as a tow vehicle for a year, and it was an excellent TV.

The V8 had plenty of power, the suspension was rock solid, and it barely noticed the trailer.

In Europe the e39 chassis had a 5000 lb tow rating, but only a 200 lb tongue weight limit. So we would have had to reinforce the hitch to tow something larger.

If you can find a factory hitch, or import one from the UK like we did, you should be fine.

The transmission in ours had 150k miles on it. I changed the fluid before towing and never had an issue.

Whether or not you tow, I would have your transmission fluid changed every 50k miles like they used to recommend. Lifetime fill is marketing hype to avoid paying for service.

Check with Andy before writing off the BMW.

Tags
caravel