Old 12-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Morrison , Colorado
Towing a 23’ with a GMC Canyon diesel

I currently have a 19’ Bambi. Tow weight is around 4500 lbs. I have towed this unit extensively with a 2017 GMC Canyon diesel crew cab long bed with no issues at all. I don’t use an external sway bar and I’ve had no issues. I am looking at upgrading to a 23’ dual axle at around 6000 lbs. the vehicle information says it has an internal sway control. Would I be able to tow the new camper without an external sway bar? The tv is rated at 7700 lbs

Pruckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I would get a Weight Distribution hitch with sway control. It will be more stable and you will have better handling. I would say that is going to be the general advise on the forum.

You will find that with a longer trailer that wind, semis, etc. will begin to affect your handling more.

Also once you start to sway; not good.

It will cost a bit more, but you will not regret it.

Lots of WDH’s. That’s another story.

Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
I have towed by 23fc with my Chev Colorado the sister to your GMC. It was a gas however. I used a Equal-I-Zer with 600 lbs bars.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Met a fellow in Durango this fall that was towing a 25 with his. He ran Wolf Creek Pass with no problem.

Yes, you need weight distribution and sway control. You need it for the 19.

Best WDSC - PPP hitch Propride or Hensley - cub will work with 23, maybe?
Better WD - purchase a Reese Straightline with dual cam sway control.
Good WDSC - get a Eaz-i-Lift with a pair of brake pad sway control struts.

Do not buy an Equal-i-zer as it is too stiff for the AS.
Do buy a Blue Ox Sway Pro with 750# bars. Research before you decide.

The 23 is a great coach. Review on the 23D and 23FB threads. Lots of good info. However the D/CB and FB are different trailers with different tow characteristics. Different length and different axle position.

Travel safe and collect those smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Diamond Bar , California
Which 23?

Don't forget the two 23 models, the 23FB and the 23CB, have differences in tongue weight of about 200 pounds (CB is heavier).
2018 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
DRBusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Gresham , Oregon
Equalizer Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Met a fellow in Durango this fall that was towing a 25 with his. He ran Wolf Creek Pass with no problem.

The 23 is a great coach. Review on the 23D and 23FB threads. Lots of good info. However the D/CB and FB are different trailers with different tow characteristics. Different length and different axle position.

Hi: I have an equal-i-zer hitch on my 22' International. I assumed that all equalizer hitches put the same stress on the trailer. Does the Equal-i-zer add additional stress? Just wondering. I don't want a broken frame to occur sometime down the road.
skido23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skido23 View Post
Hi: I have an equal-i-zer hitch on my 22' International. I assumed that all equalizer hitches put the same stress on the trailer. Does the Equal-i-zer add additional stress? Just wondering. I don't want a broken frame to occur sometime down the road.
We're approaching the area of religious or political argument here... Lots of people are concerned that the Equal-I-Zer weight bars allow less flex than some other systems and have a rougher ride/are harder on the trailer because of the stiffer system. The BlueOx system, for example, gets its anti-sway force from the springiness of the weight bars.

LOTS of people use the Equal-I-Zer, and I don't see lots of reports of broken frames so if there is a measurable difference I don't think it's destroying frames, just shaking things up a bit.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
hendersonville , North Carolina
Sway Control?

I tow a 2017 23D (tongue weight a bit over 800 LBS) using a Equalizer hitch. No problems, tows great. I do run my trailer tires at 65 PSI to make for a better ride for the AS. If you are still running the stock mirrors on your Canyon you may want to take a look at "Clearview" brand tow mirrors for the Colorado and Canyon. First class mirrors that improves rear vision when running a narrow body truck like the Canyon. Sway control is a good thing to have.

I am currently in a Airstream park in Melbourne, Florida. There are approx. 200 AS parked here right now. In walking around the park I see Lots of AS with Equalizer hitches. Must not be a problem to tow an AS with a Equalizer.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loveland , Colorado
We tow 25FB with a Colorado Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post

We tow a 25FB with our Chevy Colorado Duramax. In October we also did Wolf Creek Pass and Monarch Pass with no trouble. We love it. We have the Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch. I also recommend the rubber sway bracket jacket for the L-bracket to reduce noise and steel-to-steel wear. What do you mean that the Equal-i-zer is "too stiff" for an Airstream? Ours works great as far as I can tell, but I've never used any other to be able to compare.
zenman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
When you transit driveways, chuckholes, and similar grade changes, the EQ bars do not bend. The trailer and tow vehicle receiver are stressed by the additional force required to bridge that grade change.

The good news is that most folks take those transitions with care and the impact is minimized.

The value of the EQ is that once it is correctly tuned, it is easy to hookup and has better ground clearance that other designs.

Do your research before you buy. Travel safe. And enjoy the smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I have towed by 23fc with my Chev Colorado the sister to your GMC. It was a gas however. I used a Equal-I-Zer with 600 lbs bars.

Dave
I towed my 20' FC for three years with a Toyota Tacoma using an Equal-I-Zer with 600 lb bars and it worked great. The 20' FC has a max weight of 5,00 lbs. and I was probably close to that.

If you decide to go this route, be sure to get the Sway Bracket Jackets - they keep everything working smoothly and quietly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Peterborough , New Hampshire
Towing a 23' with a GMC Canyon diesel

I tow my 2010 23' Flying Cloud with a 2016 Chevrolet Colorado diesel. I have a Hensley Hitch and have towed all around the East coast without any problems. I'm not sure of the tongue weight, but have had no swaying or other issues to date.
terrylarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Tow our 2015 23D International Serenity with my 2007 Mercedes ML320CDI that has a 3.0L turbo diesel into seven speed automatic transmission. Went to 15” Michelin tires and SenDel wheels and reused our Hensley Arrow hitch from our 2013 25 FB. Tongue weight is 963 ponds and scales 6,6063 pounds camping ready. Trailer extensively modified.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:50 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Yep WDH with built in sway control you be good to go. Take her to CAT scale adjust hitch & loading to basically replace your unloaded steer weight & get your hitch weight in the 10 to 15 percent range according to change in truck axle weights & she will tow safe & stable.

You might Also consider. http://www.greendieselengineering.co.../list/271.page

http://www.greendieselengineering.co...ne/2_55.action

VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote