Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I use a third rack with rollers from Thule. Unfortunately, the only way to get just the rollers is to buy them as parts ($$$). I know this because I had my rear rack stolen, so I purchased them (and a complete set of rack locks) as a replacement.

I installed tracks on the shell, made by Thule. The boats are a 16' WS Tarpon 160 and a 13' Hobie Revo 13. I can put them up there myself, using that ladder for strapping them down, without too much difficulty. Much better than having "help" sometimes.

I don't like the complete Thule Roll Model ($200) that's in the pics, as the pads deform my kayaks in the heat, and the straps loosen up. Maybe if you have fiberglass boats, or your boats are really thick and heavy, they work better. The front ears never stay where I set them, and the hardware corrodes and either seizes or snaps off. I've got a set of Malone Sea Wings on order, my paddling buddy really likes them. If they work out, I'll sell off the silly pads on eBay, you can get a good price for rack gear.

Whatever you decide, take your time and make sure that you're using top-notch gear to transport your kayaks. Just imagine how upset you'd be if you had some guy's kayak sticking out of your windshield!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-04 11.19.11.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	293993   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-04 11.24.40.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	293994  

SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our new toy

We went with the Thule roof rack and a Hullivator to get our big tandem up and down. I was a bit worried about the extra cargo, wind resistance, etc, but the whole rig towed beautifully. The Hullivator, BTW, is worth every penny to save our backs, that yak weighs about 100lbs!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-08-18 09.04.37.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	293999  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Thule works well

Couple of comments...we have a 16.6' Old Town canoe which we used to load on our Tahoe, which was a challenge. Then we got the F150 EB, and a Thule adjustable bed rack along a single Thule roof rack. They typically come in pairs, so we had to purchase 2 of the bed racks...(I later sold one of them.) We found a dealer in Wisconsin who sold us single roof rack from Thule which was great. I can use without removing my tri-fold cover, so it provides some protection for my propane generator and few other items. I use a "stretch net" with a canvas under it covering other items, if I need to due to weather. It works fine.

My experience: The Old Town canoe is almost 95 lbs and is awkward for loading/unloading, especially if any wind. We would put nose on truck bed, as others mention, then I would crawl up into the bed and work it up over the Thule right side up, then turn over. There are several "gadgets" for sale which "supposedly" make this task easier, but the weight and issues with wind don't really change things for loading or unloading a heavy canoe; it can be a hassle.
Fast forward......3 years ago, we purchased a couple Old Town kayaks, while canoeing, as wife thought they would be more fun and easier to handle. (this way, the wife goes where she wants to paddle and so do I!) These kayaks weigh 30-35 lbs each, and use the same racks. We recently upgraded to F250, and we are able to use same racks. We still avoid wind when we are boating, but I can load/unload without any help and I don't need front-end nose ties like I did with the canoe. I use one ratchet tie for the front and one for the back. Very secure. They stay put even in heavy winds, and this set up works well for our use.
We still use the canoe from time to time with the grandkids, but kayaks are our boats of choice. :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F250 w kayaks rear view.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	562.0 KB
ID:	294000   Click image for larger version

Name:	F250 with kayaks front view.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	294001  

Name:	kayaks camping at St. Regis.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	599.6 KB
ID:	294002  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
We went with the Thule roof rack and a Hullivator to get our big tandem up and down. I was a bit worried about the extra cargo, wind resistance, etc, but the whole rig towed beautifully. The Hullivator, BTW, is worth every penny to save our backs, that yak weighs about 100lbs!
At the Thule site the specifications say the load capacity is 75 lbs, but you say yours is 100. Isn't that a problem?

What tandem kayak do you have ?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote