Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #1

2014 30' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Prior Lake , Minnesota
Towing

What is the best diesel Truck to pull my 30 foot airstream 2014?
Pamela Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Dodge!! Lol. Next
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!

First post and this question???

Wow... I appreciate your bravery!

Welcome Aboard!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Chevy.....next?!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Hi Pamela...you must be very excited about your new Airstream. We have a 2004 Classic, 28 ft. I don't know how that compares to the overall weight and tongue weight of yours, but we opted to get a GMC diesel, 3/4 ton truck as our TV. We have been happy with it as a tow vehicle but its got its downsides as a daily driver. I researched the TV question for months before we bought the Airstream last year. I was just sure I could get an answer to the question of the Best tow vehicle. In the end, I concluded there is no one right answer, and the analysis can be complex. My hubby finally decided to give up on figuring out how big a trailer we could pull with a 1/2 ton truck, or a capable SUV and when we found our Airstream, he wanted to go big in terms of the truck so we wouldn't have to worry about being overloaded. Of course there are those who say it is also bad if your truck is too big. Anyway, as a woman who really never wanted to learn everything there was to know about tow vehicles qnd trucks, I learned a lot by reading this forum. Your best bet is to start searching this forum for similar questions posted by others. You will find a variety of opinions, and of course, people have brand loyalty toward one family of big trucks vs another.
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Ross View Post
What is the best diesel Truck to pull my 30 foot airstream 2014?
Welcome Pamela and congratulations.
That's easy !! At least you've limited your options to diesel and a truck. Now you are trying to divide and conquer the 'LEFT WING".
More info will help - Are you looking for a daily driver, soft ride, camper/ TT combo, auxiliary diesel tank capability ... name it.
Any of the 3 dominant TV ( GMC, Ford & Dodge ) on this forum will get the job done, you just have to pick a long or short bed, crew cab or none depending on your application. Best wishes and happy streamin.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
I asked that question back in 2005 - was told by a friend of mine who has driven and repaired trucks all his life. He's older and was a diesel mechanic and truck driver for 30 years. His answer was to get a Cummings.
It didn't matter much who made the truck, but don't buy a engine made just for a pickup by a car manufacturer - buy a truck engine. Took his advice - after 8 years of pulling things, I'm convinced and would only buy another if I ever get another - but at this rate I'll probably die with this one!

-
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
I asked that question back in 2005 - was told by a friend of mine who has driven and repaired trucks all his life. He's older and was a diesel mechanic and truck driver for 30 years. His answer was to get a Cummings.
It didn't matter much who made the truck, but don't buy a engine made just for a pickup by a car manufacturer - buy a truck engine. Took his advice - after 8 years of pulling things, I'm convinced and would only buy another if I ever get another - but at this rate I'll probably die with this one!

-
I am a newbie and a truck beginner.. As in..still don't have one and never have. I will be buying one before I get the airstream!

Can you expand on this answer for me.. I do not understand I am embarrassed to say

Is a Cummings a type of engine? Is this after market or a engine maker that services the car manufacturer? I am probably way off so please expand.

Thank you
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
A friend of mine, a professional mechanic says, "The best thing about the Dodge truck is the Cummins engine, and the worst thing about the Cummins engine is the Dodge truck".

All joking aside, today they are all good, but on the other hand, only one has a Cummins.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
FORD, now we are all in the debate. I use a 2001 F350 because it has the 7.3 engine which I don.t think can be beat. If I were buying a new one would probable be a Dodge. I pull campers for a living and the majority of the guys that pull for a living when they need a new truck are buying the Dodges. They have torque and HP rating way above everyone else. They advertise 30,000 lb towing capacity. Good luck.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
I am a newbie and a truck beginner.. As in..still don't have one and never have. I will be buying one before I get the airstream!

Can you expand on this answer for me.. I do not understand I am embarrassed to say

Is a Cummings a type of engine? Is this after market or a engine maker that services the car manufacturer? I am probably way off so please expand.

Thank you
It is a Cummins, firstly. A Cummings is a poet or a rock singer. Not your fault.

Cummins is a diesel engine company that makes both heavy duty diesel engines, and light duty diesel engines. They provide light duty diesels to Dodge for factory built pickups.

Ford and GM use their own diesel engines.

All three brands are also available with gasoline engines, and some are available with dual fuel gasoline/natural gas engines.

The choices tend to be somewhat religious in nature, between both vehicle brands and fuel type. All can work fine.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post

Thank you
Cummins is an engine manufacturer headquartered in Columbus Indiana who made their reputation building engines for heavy duty (think semi tractors, construction equipment, etc) vehicles. They developed their B series engines which were sized for smaller vehicles at least 20 years ago,I don't recall exactly. Anyway they have supplied Dodge with 5.9 L diesels of a couple configurations, and now the 6.7L for a long time. In the same time span GM and Ford have used diesels of various designs, some of which were successful and some not so much. For me, I've owned Ford trucks for over 30 years but in 2008 when I decided to get a diesel pickup, I went with a Dodge just because of the Cummins engine. Today I would have to give the Ford serious consideration again.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
All of the big three produce a good diesel truck. Which is "best" depends on a lot of factors, and has varied from year to year. The year I bought ours (1996) the choice was very clear - Ford. That truck is still going strong, 190k miles later - many of them pull trailers.

Given that all three engines (Cummins, Ford Powerstroke, GM Duramax) are excellent, the choice may come down to other factors, such as trim, comfort and price.

I'd definitely figure out where you're planning on going, with how many folks.

You know you want diesel. Do you want a crewcab, extended cab, or a regular cab? Long or short bed? Long beds hold more, but a long bed crew cab is a beast in cities. 4wd?

Shopping can be fun. Try to test drive the candidates on the same day, preferably within a hour or two.

Have fun, and good luck. And watch the accessories - they really add up.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
I have a 2011 Ford F250 Lariat with the 6.7 Powerstroke diesel. We have about 28,000 miles on the truck with half of the miles towing an Airstream 27' Safari FB trailer. This year we took the truck and trailer to Colorado and New Mexico where we did a significant amount of towing on steep grades. The truck's performance was excellent With the Lariat trim package it is very comfortable. On our 7100 mile trip we averaged 14.1 miles per gallon.

We've only had one problem with the truck. At about 26000 miles the check engine light came on. It turned out the heater in the DEF tank failed. Ford replaced the entire DEF system under warranty while we were in Montrose, Colorado on our western trip. My only complaint was it taking 2 days for the busy dealership to get the truck to a diesel tech for diagnosis. This is not a common problem (the dealership had never experienced it) so they didn't have the part. It had to be sent by overnight package from Ford. When I returned home I spoke to the service department at my home dealership. They too had never seen a truck with this problem. This particular experience would not prevent me from buying another F250 with the 6.7 Powerstroke diesel.

The only thing I don't particularly like about the Ford is the Synch system, including the navigation system. I don't find it as intuitive as the system on my automobile (another brand). One of the big plusses about the Ford is the tailgate step. It is unique to Ford and makes climbing in and out of the bed a breeze.

I agree with other posters who say a new diesel truck from Ford, GM/Chevy, or Ram would serve you well. At the time I purchased our F250 we liked the Ford trim packages better. Since then Ram and GM have introduced updated trims which I haven't seen. My friends who own Chevy and Ram diesels are very satisfied with their trucks and based on their experiences I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I liked the way it was styled and outfitted.

Enjoy your new truck. Whichever brand you buy I highly encourage you to purchase the in dash rear view camera. It is a huge help in hitching up.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Welcome!! The best diesel truck is the one you can afford to buy and maintain. Don't let the name game fool you, it's all the same. One way or the other something will fail and need to be replaced. Maintenance is key so don't expect to drive 15k on the oil before you change it.

Since the game is afoot I'll say my 2006 Ford 6.0 will do what I need when I need it done. Sure I spent the money to get the known issues straight. I never had the problems you will read about since I was sensible about what I was doing. As it sits right now there's nothing I can't drop on the hitch or throw in the bed. The work will get done.

Considering a new diesel truck, the cost, the maintenance my 6.0L will be my TV for a LONG time. Good luck with your search!!
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Pamela

Just to completely confuse you. If I was going to purchase a pick up to tow an Airstream with today hands down my choice would be the new Dodge 1500 with the 3.0 Litre Diesel and the Air suspension and 20" wheel options.

This truck will get dramatically better fuel economy than any of the 2500 series trucks while still having way more power than you need. The ride is much smoother so it is much easier on you and the Airstream. It has a wider stance and lower centre of gravity and more precise steering. As well the tires have more bite for shorter stops.

If a 5'6" box has enough cargo space it will be quite a bit more maneuverable as well.

What is your day to day vehicle now?

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
I believe that the hardest part of the decision (gas vs diesel) of which tow vehicle to purchase has been made. As for as brand I'm personally a Chevy man, but the "best" is just a matter of prefence as they all have their good and weak points. Go out and drive them all.
Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the forum

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
If you can find a good used 7.3 liter Navistar Powerstroke diesel ( When international Harvester used to make them prior to Ford making them) you wll not go wrong. Ask me how I know...

>>ron<<
carver 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
For years I've advocated a hybrid tow vehicle. Ford with a Cummins diesel and the Allison trans. The best of all 3 worlds of made in America pick-ups. But since it's not a choice available to us I vote DODGE RAM.

Go for it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
hybrid tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
For years I've advocated a hybrid tow vehicle. Ford with a Cummins diesel and the Allison trans. The best of all 3 worlds of made in America pick-ups. But since it's not a choice available to us I vote DODGE RAM.

Go for it.
OH but it is available if you have the time and energy to do it.Their are actually some companies that make adapter kit for that very thing. I know where a 2005 ford F350 with the old cummins motor and an allison trannie is. It was over 10 thousand dollars for the swap to be completed but he is so happy with this truck he is getting ready to build another. So all things are possible.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote