Old 12-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
But the definition of handle may be with very little, if any, payload in the bed of the truck and a lightly loaded trailer perhaps not including the 31' models with the highest GVW or the 28' models with the highest factory literature empty tongue weights.

WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #72
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would think the heavier the truck and the heavier the payload, and the higher the center of gravity, the more difficult it is to quickly change direction without risk of rollover. Or stop.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #73
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
A short wheelbase pickup is actually more prone to rollover when pulling a travel trailer in a emergency maneuver than a long wheelbase pickup.Length is a bigger factor than weight with a pickup truck.Drivers ability also plays a crucial role.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #74
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Like switz, I tow motorbikes in the truck with lots of gear, so payload is critical. 4x4 is also important, as we live amongst lots of passes and have regular snowfall in the winter.

Torque is far more important to me than horsepower. Heading up a pass, with the trailer loaded and 800 labs of bike and gear in the back, plus 4 passengers, you want to be able to harness as much as possible. Brakes are also critical, and the engine braking capability of a diesel is important.

Diesel trucks in the past few years are quite unlike their predecessors. The smoke is gone, courtesy of urea and the EPA regs, which also impact mileage. If you see a late model truck belching smoke, the owner has modified the exhaust and egr, deleting the particulate filters in order to increase gas mileage. It's illegal, voids warranty, but is common. Newer 2013 and later trucks with urea don't benefit from deletes.

My RAM has only 375hp, but 800 lb Ft torque. For me, this is optimal power. I could not pull up the passes, passing semis and slower RV's, loaded as described, nor could I average close to 14mpg, with a gas pickup, and certainly not in a half ton truck. Those who can manage with a gasser likely do not have the same towing needs or payload as I do, so I can appreciate how a gas powered tow vehicle is the better choice for them.
Well said again ... LaraMe !

Want ultimate torque for towing, get a diesel
(and park it when not towing if you can).
Want better handling,
get a sports car (think Porsche or Corvette).
Want better / safer everyday driving in the winter,
get a Jeep Wrangler or other 4wd.
Want better gas fuel economy in an enclosed vehicle for around town or short commute,
get a Spark (think almost as small as a smart car).
Want vastly better fuel economy and verstility in gas,
get a dual sport motorcycle! (and take it along with your AS)

Clearly, no one vehicle best meets all of those needs.
Each one has its merits and drawbacks.
We give thanks that we are finally in a position to enjoy some of the wide variety of vehicles now on the market and selected those which we feel are most well-suited for our job at hand ... but certainly remember when only one had to do multi-purpose... it is a hard choice ... always with some regret. YMMV

~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote