Old 05-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
MollyMac

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Hoover , Alabama
Tow Vehicles

Hey there:
I am looking at purchasing an Airstream. I have not decided on which model to get yet, because I will also have to get a new car/truck to tow it. I will be turning in my Prius for this adventure.
I am widowed, 65 and looking for an adventure without a lot of hassles. Here are the Airstream models I am looking at:
Flying Cloud: 19′ with GVWR of 4500
Flying Cloud: 20′ with GVWR of 5000
Flying Cloud: 23′ with GVWR of 6000
I am looking at the Toyota 4Runner, (5000 Towing Capacity) the Toyota Tacoma (up to 6,800) and the Toyota Tundra (up to 10,000) as the towing vehicle of choice, primarily because I have always owned a Toyota, have a great relationship with my local dealer and this will also be my driving around town car. Please help me decide. I am concerned about towing capacity in that Airstream recommended 10-15% extra capacity on the towing vehicle compared to the GVWR. I figure I am screwed on MPG regardless. Just want the best performing vehicle. I am not rich…but want to see the world.
Molly

Old 05-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tow Vehicles

I use a 2012 Tacoma crew cab short bed 4x4 to tow a 2097 23' international CCD.

Truck is a bit underpowered, but feels solid with a ProPride hitch setup. Hitches are yet another religious discussion. I went with a Hensley design because I like the lack of sway and drama while towing.

Given a better budget, I'd have the Tundra 2wheel drive crew cab America hitch and trailer. We have a pack of dogs to carry as well.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have not towed with any of those. My son has a 4 runner and a Tacoma so I am somewhat familiar with them. Neither would be my choice for a TV. They will probably work but not as effortlessly as the Tundra. From the list you presented I would go with the Tundra. It will be a great TV for any one of the trailers you list. Maybe gasoline will stay down for a couple of years. The towing MPG will be about the same with the 3 choices, I think. The Tundra will take little hit on the unhitched MPG, but not a whole lot worse than the other 2. Fuel milage is probably the least important thing to consider in deciding between those 3 choices. The Tundra will ride better and be more comfortable than either of the other 2 choices listed. I have been on caravans with quite a few people using Tundras and they were always happy with their rig and how it towed. If you go with one of the smaller ones you really are going to limit yourself to the small trailers.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Contact Andrew Thomson at Can Am RV. He is the expert on this, and is glad to field questions. He contributes on this forum as Andrew_T
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
Molly,

Select the cart, then the horse. Even a two feet makes a huge difference in the feel of an Airstream. I would suggest you decide which trailer you want then learn about all tow vehicle ratings and start there. GVWR is only part of the equation. One thing I can tell you, seeing the world and hassle free is not a likely scenario. Seeing the U.S. with a travel trailer hassle free is never going to happen. It isn't a hassle, but a rewarding challenge. I now revel in overcoming some of he stuff that happens on the road. Here is what I tell other women who see the commercials - put your house on an axle and tow it thousands of miles and see how it ends up at the end of the week. Regardless of the quality of the trailer, stuff is stuff, and appliances, etc., don't react well to constant vibration and force. At a minimum, you are going to have to be able to change a tire, perform basic plumbing and electrical work, use a torque wrench and a rivet gun, and above all smile and be grateful when someone is actually available to help when you need it. A warranty doesn't help when you are hundreds of miles from the nearest town and you have no cell service. I love doing it, but it can be described as many things, hassle free isn't one of those. Also, it does require some level of physical stamina.

Robin
Old 05-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Travel trailering can have lots of hassles as robi said above. I would be looking into camper vans, Airstream makes a nice one as do many other manufacturers. We toured the country for 35 years in VW Camper vans, I miss the simplicity.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac View Post
Hey there:
I am looking at purchasing an Airstream. I have not decided on which model to get yet, because I will also have to get a new car/truck to tow it. I will be turning in my Prius for this adventure.
I am widowed, 65 and looking for an adventure without a lot of hassles. Here are the Airstream models I am looking at:
Flying Cloud: 19′ with GVWR of 4500
Flying Cloud: 20′ with GVWR of 5000
Flying Cloud: 23′ with GVWR of 6000
I am looking at the Toyota 4Runner, (5000 Towing Capacity) the Toyota Tacoma (up to 6,800) and the Toyota Tundra (up to 10,000) as the towing vehicle of choice, primarily because I have always owned a Toyota, have a great relationship with my local dealer and this will also be my driving around town car. Please help me decide. I am concerned about towing capacity in that Airstream recommended 10-15% extra capacity on the towing vehicle compared to the GVWR. I figure I am screwed on MPG regardless. Just want the best performing vehicle. I am not rich…but want to see the world.
Molly
Perhaps take a look at the 22 Sport ? It's 6" narrower than the flying clouds (or any of the other models) and I think the new interior makes it look *better* and brighter than the Flying Clouds (personal opinion as I don't like "gold mica" at all). 4500 GVCR of the 19 cloud but a better floor plan, big rear bath. big kitchen area, less closed open floor plan.

It will tow better than the 19 cloud with better fuel economy, I think. Downside is single axle vs a 23 and the somewhat anemic tank sizes, but for 1 person travelling or happy couple and on and off full hookups might be the way to go.

Tundra is reportedly a bulletproof workhorse(if you think you might have 2ft itis), but a could be a beast to fuel and park on unhooked excursions. Talk to Andy at Can-Am and choose your tow vehicle accordingly.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Molly,

Good for you!! I see the benefits of the Interstate, but I would want the freedom to unhitch and scamper about anywhere I planted myself. How big a trailer I got would depend on how much time I spent in it: full time vs occasional trips. I can't imagine being stuck on a rainy weekend in a small trailer. The smallest I'd be comfortable in is a 22ft'er. Then I'd get the right TV. I am one of those folks who would rather have too much rather than too little TV.

Lots of smart, informed people here, just thought I'd add my opinion.
Best wishes for the right AS / TV combo for you!

Susan
Old 05-31-2016, 01:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Personally prefer a small dual axle trailer. Fewer surprises when a tire blows.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:03 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Get out there and have a great time. Setting up is very important! The probable limiting factor will be the payload limitations of the TV. Decide which trailer you want, get all the specs of it and the weight of the weight distribution, sway control hitch and then get your TV. Just a personal opinion, I would rather have considerably more TV capacity than a TV that is right on the line.
The suggestion of a coach is a good one. Would suggest that you try to contact ColoradoLady. Her name is Evelyn. She just went from a trailer to a coach. Take some time to research what ever you do, and it will save you some headaches down the road.