Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Wulfat, nice tow vehicle with very good rear axle rating.

Rostam, I've been here awhile. You have no towing experience to talk about. Your advice based only on manufacturer's recommendations will lead many Airstreamers directly to a larger truck than they need. The manufacturer's love it, the power train (and warranty) is never challenged and they get you into a much more expensive (and profitable) vehicle. Then when we learn it's a nightmare to drive around town, they can sell us a decent companion vehicle, or take it on trade for yet another sale.

Here's the site of North America's best travel trailer hitch and towing shop. Read and learn.

http://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Wulfat, nice tow vehicle with very good rear axle rating.

Rostam, I've been here awhile. You have no towing experience to talk about. Your advice based only on manufacturer's recommendations will lead many Airstreamers directly to a larger truck than they need. The manufacturer's love it, the power train (and warranty) is never challenged and they get you into a much more expensive (and profitable) vehicle. Then when we learn it's a nightmare to drive around town, they can sell us a decent companion vehicle, or take it on trade for yet another sale.

Here's the site of North America's best travel trailer hitch and towing shop. Read and learn.

http://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/
dkottum, unfortunately the number of posts in this forum (or the duration of membership) does not imply that a better advice is being provided. Your statement that I have no towing experience is obviously false.

I go to RV shops to buy/repair my RV -- I do not take towing advice from them. As for your preferred RV shop, they lost me with their "Chrysler 300 is a better TV than a Ram 2500" and their installation of an Andersen hitch. You should not limit your horizon to what one RV shop says. Best of luck to you.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Just a reference point, my BMW X5 yellow sticker shows 1100 lbs payload. A visit to CAT scales shows that it is over 1300 after the full tank and the driver. They just put the same sticker on each X5, even the manual states payload 1100 lbs for each engine version, regardless of the fact that 3l version is much lighter than V8 and the suspension, etc. are the same.

Thanks for knowledgeable people on this forum I am towing (over 3,000 miles already) 33 ft long SOB trailer. The setup is very stable, at least in the 55-60 mph range. Not planning to test higher speeds.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Not everyone agrees about the Canadian dealer, opinions vary. He does get a ton of free advertising though,
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	273415

Payload is 1500 and I removed the back seats, which is about 100 lbs more.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Plymouth , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade platform. 8300 towing, 1600 payload.
Before you add options, gas, people, and extra gear. Oh, I forgot about the 800 lbs from the hitch.
leje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
tow vehicle recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by leje View Post
Before you add options, gas, people, and extra gear. Oh, I forgot about the 800 lbs from the hitch.

Yes? I had it weighed on a CAT scale and came in under. 1600 is a lot of payload.

http://www.ourflyingcloud.com/2016/0...airstream.html
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
My hitch is a weight distribution type. In short it distributes the weight equally between truck and trailer, and not in one place.
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
If you don,t mind my asking, what is your average mpg while towing ??
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #30
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Mine is between 9 and 11.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:59 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Plymouth , Minnesota
13-14 with my duramax
leje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
15.1 yesterday with headwinds, usually expect 15-17 with EcoDiesel. 27-30 highway solo.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Responding to the original poster: Reportedly, the FC 25 has one of the highest tongue weights of all the Airstreams, typically over 1,000 lbs. notwithstanding the specifications (which may or may not account for full water and waste tanks and full propane bottles) and certainly don't account for stuff stored inside the trailer. The "front bed" design ends up putting most of the storage you use forward of the axles. The larger SUVs (Tahoe,etc.) probably would be satisfactory if you're only carrying 2 people and a modest amount of stuff in the vehicle. Frankly, if you go with a "short box" 1/2 ton pickup you will not feel particularly constrained driving it around town, parking it, etc. A standard box or a 3/4 ton is going to feel a little big and the 3/4 ton will ride "trucky." Another advantage to the pickup is that if you have a generator and need to carry gasoline for it, that's all outside the passenger cabin. Unless you're just weekending or are willing to be limited to "full hookup" campsites, you're going to want at least a small generator. If memory serves, for several years, only the "27" foot Airstreams have a gas oven; the others have only a microwave, which requires AC. In the diesel vs. gasoline debate, don't be overly focused on fuel economy. Do the numbers. In the Eastern US, regular gasoline is cheaper than diesel and there's a purchase price premium for diesel power. My wife and I completed 9 months of full-timing in our FC 27 last June, pulled by a GMC Sierra 1/2 ton with the 6.2 liter gasoline engine. After our recent 10-day trip to New England, we have 46,000 miles on the truck's odometer probably 35,000 of which is pulling the trailer, mostly west of the Rockies. With a self-imposed speed limit of 60, or whatever is posted if lower, our mileage over a 400-mile block ranged from a low of 12 to a high of 13.8. That includes going from DC to LA and back. The Ram 1/2 tons are all a little light on payload, especially if you get the fancier Laramie model and all the bells and whistles. Both Ford and GM offer half tons with adequate payload and power to pull the trailer. 240 hp is still 240 hp no matter how impressive the torque numbers. Fine if you're mostly in the Midwest; probably inadequate in either the Appalachians or the Rockies unless you want to test how long your engine will tolerate running at 100% output before breaking. Both the Ford "Ecoboost" motors and the big V-8 in my truck generate lots of torque at low rpm, just like a diesel, so you won't have a lot of noise. Typically, in rolling countryside, my engine is running at 1800 rpm in 7th gear pulling our trailer at 60 mph. Only on the steepest grades does the engine exceed 3,000 rpm to maintain that speed.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:32 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
Responding to the original poster: Reportedly, the FC 25 has one of the highest tongue weights of all the Airstreams, typically over 1,000 lbs. notwithstanding the specifications (which may or may not account for full water and waste tanks and full propane bottles) and certainly don't account for stuff stored inside the trailer. The "front bed" design ends up putting most of the storage you use forward of the axles. The larger SUVs (Tahoe,etc.) probably would be satisfactory if you're only carrying 2 people and a modest amount of stuff in the vehicle. Frankly, if you go with a "short box" 1/2 ton pickup you will not feel particularly constrained driving it around town, parking it, etc. A standard box or a 3/4 ton is going to feel a little big and the 3/4 ton will ride "trucky." Another advantage to the pickup is that if you have a generator and need to carry gasoline for it, that's all outside the passenger cabin. Unless you're just weekending or are willing to be limited to "full hookup" campsites, you're going to want at least a small generator. If memory serves, for several years, only the "27" foot Airstreams have a gas oven; the others have only a microwave, which requires AC. In the diesel vs. gasoline debate, don't be overly focused on fuel economy. Do the numbers. In the Eastern US, regular gasoline is cheaper than diesel and there's a purchase price premium for diesel power. My wife and I completed 9 months of full-timing in our FC 27 last June, pulled by a GMC Sierra 1/2 ton with the 6.2 liter gasoline engine. After our recent 10-day trip to New England, we have 46,000 miles on the truck's odometer probably 35,000 of which is pulling the trailer, mostly west of the Rockies. With a self-imposed speed limit of 60, or whatever is posted if lower, our mileage over a 400-mile block ranged from a low of 12 to a high of 13.8. That includes going from DC to LA and back. The Ram 1/2 tons are all a little light on payload, especially if you get the fancier Laramie model and all the bells and whistles. Both Ford and GM offer half tons with adequate payload and power to pull the trailer. 240 hp is still 240 hp no matter how impressive the torque numbers. Fine if you're mostly in the Midwest; probably inadequate in either the Appalachians or the Rockies unless you want to test how long your engine will tolerate running at 100% output before breaking. Both the Ford "Ecoboost" motors and the big V-8 in my truck generate lots of torque at low rpm, just like a diesel, so you won't have a lot of noise. Typically, in rolling countryside, my engine is running at 1800 rpm in 7th gear pulling our trailer at 60 mph. Only on the steepest grades does the engine exceed 3,000 rpm to maintain that speed.
Some good insight, thank you. 2 things I would disagree with though.

1- the assertion that a 25fb has one of the highest hitch weights is probably not accurate. Yes, you could load it up to be so, but my guess is the stuff in your kitchen is heavier than the blankets you store under your bed. Our FB twin has the external storage that carries mostly lighter weight items (camp chairs, hoses, wheel chocks, etc)

2- a lot of airstream models have an oven as the base option. You can then choose to upgrade to the convection model if desired.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
DC Bruce, The GMC 1500 6.2 & I presume 8 speed is an excellent match for a 27' AS. But some of your understanding & assumptions are short or incorrect. Nor Cal already covered the 25's tongue weight but additionally, published tongue weights at least on new models put the 25s well below especially the 28s.

This little factoid & explanation often helps people better understand the difference and relationship between HP & TQ; Torque is how much work an engine will do at a given rpm. Horsepower is how fast it will do that work at that rpm.

So for example the 16 & prior 3.5 Ford EB has 420 TQ as does the Ram ED. The ED has superior optional torque multiplying rear end gears at 3.92 but that aside for the moment and saying all things equal. The EB & ED would do the same work or tow the same load up a grade BUT the EB having superior horsepower would do it quicker. And in practical application this has shown to be true. None the less they would tow the same load up the grade one as easy as the other.

What the diesel has superior is the amount of work it can do on the same amount of fuel. So while slower it will tow the same load with a lot less fuel. Normally dramatically more than the difference in fuel price. In your case where you got from 12 to 13.8 the ED would have likely retrieved 15 to 17 mpg saving a lot of fuel cost. Which is best depends on which is most important to the buyer. Either his money or his ability to tow/go fast.

So your assumptions of the ED requiring 100% output to tow OP's 25' AS up the Appalachians or Rockies is false. And before breaking is well established that a diesel generally dramatically outlast a gasoline counterpart so that to is false. Nothing wrong with your truck no reason to push this narrative. One truck is not superior to the other only each has different strengths.

Now since I actually tow AS with an ED. And in fact do it for a living towing all over the US but most commonly WA, OR, & CA. I don't have to assume I can tell you from experience the ED tows all current sizes new dry AS up the western grades. Not the fastest but reliably fuel efficiently confidently & comfortably. To the tune of 232,000 miles well over half with TT in tow & to the tune of a 30'11" AS at 8,013 pounds. Naturally utilizing a scale & no sway WDH for safe stable towing.

My truck does have the 3.92 gear & I generally tow flats at 65 & slow on grades & drop to 5th gear at 55 mph. Not as fast as the 60 you hold to but still passing semis. In fairness & full disclosure I did take a few minutes and put in a tune which brings the torque to about 480. More importantly to me it provided an exhaust brake so it can descend the mountain just as confidently & comfortably as it climbed it. Might be why I still have the original brakes. Anyway no disrespect to your choice in tow vehicle its well matched to your trailer. Just don't spread a false narrative about a different choice then your own.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
VernD - that is a very good summary between the gas/diesel world.

So how is the rest of your EcoD truck holding up with so many working miles?
Is the suspension still intact? Have you replaced any components? Have the coil springs worn down much or do you run air bags?
Do you carry much other weight in the truck pushing the payload limit?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Vern , the 3.92 gears is your biggest asset, it would be a different story with 3.54. My 07 2500 6.7 was 3.73, tranny is double over, my new one is 3.54, 6.7, 2500, big horn ,haven't driven it yet......12.5 mpg coast to coast average ,in Mt. we have hills and long pulls, especially going west..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes, the 3.92 gears work very smoothly with the 8-spd EcoDoesel on the long and short grades, if it drops a gear it's hardly noticeable. Doesn't skip a gear like our 3.55 axle 6-spd Hemi did, running the rpm's up abruptly. We could avoid that by manual downshifting to 4th and leaving it there, but the Ecodiesel/8-spd/3.92 tales care of itself nicely.

Highly recommend the 3.92 axle for either Ram 1500 EcoD or Hemi towing an Airstream.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Repairs to date; a light switch $104 and at 230k a lift pump $158. I do frequently transport motorcycles & snowmobiles in the bed on return trips. Once I had a car dolly disassembled in the bed & a TT and another time I had a Harley in the bed with a decent sized boat in tow but those were the lone exceptions. I do run the large TLC axle to frame airbags and the Andersen hitch.

Certainly the Andersen is not the BEST no sway WDH. But its no sway properties are very good and its light, quiet, reasonably priced, simple to use, and can even be backed. It can also be quickly disconnected so the ball stays on the truck for moving other trailers without the no sway WD part so its very convenient for a WDH.

The WD part of the hitch isn't as critical for me since I use the airbags. Throw out past experience with WDH & air bags knowledge from a HD with leaf springs. The coil sprung half ton is a new and different suspension setup with different dynamics.

The axle to frame bags not only transfer weight back to the steers they also dampen and control the rear suspension. When the too soft for heavy load coil springs hit for example a gravel/dirt road with wheel dips the suspension is dampened and controlled instead of wallowing.(as can 1/2 ton leaf sprung trucks) It also better controls harsh ruts, potholes, or rough road and removes shock, vibration, harmonics and harshness from both you & your truck and also from your AS.

Doug is right about the transmission. The German made ZF 8 speed is very quick shifting & smooth with well thought out & proven gear spacing. To my knowledge this is the first application of it being used in a truck at least here in the states. Heard talk of them using it in the 2500 with the Hemi. Hope they do after my experience it should make for a better setup with improved towing and mileage.

BTW when I tow a grade at 55 mph in 5th gear its not at WOT its at or below 3,000 rpms where the engine tows comfortably. I just don't try to abuse my equipment. Only twice ever has the truck had to drop to 4th at 50 mph both times with a trailer 7,500 plus & on a steep grade.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:13 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We towed a couple hundred miles through some of the very irregular grades of New Mexico today. Set the cruise control at the prescribed (and changing) speed limit and it was remarkable how the engine/trans/differential combination held the speed up and down, very smooth.

I believe the engine braking was much better than our Ram Hemi on this same route in the past.

Does this EcoD have turbine braking assistance? Are the vanes variable? I know little about it, it's new to us early this year, and have seen no such description in the literature.