Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
One checks the TW scale (SHERLINE) against the values from a segmented weight scale.

1] The TV, solo
2] The combined rig, WD not applied

The distance from hitch ball to trailer axle center is the total length from which one deducts the percentage distance from hitch ball to jack.

"Weight ratings" are as subject to marketing (profit) as to any engineering. One does not exceed tire or axle ratings is about it. And TW can be shifted among it's three points of contact (TV steer and drive axle, and TT axles) to accommodate most situations. Not all WD distribution schemes are the same, and are often dependent on vehicle type.

Contact Andrew Thomson at CAN AM RV for advice about a particular vehicle, or a range of vehicles that might work given climate, terrain, trailer spec and expected use. No perfect TV out there, all have drawbacks. Focusing on "weight ratings" clouds the fact that the usual "solution" -- a pickp truck -- has not only higher operational costs than many other types, but is prone to handling & braking deficiencies that, loaded or empty, have a higher risk of injury for any miles travelled.

As to warranty I sure wouldn't worry over it. The trucks I've used for commercial service under conditions FAR in excess of ratings were serviced as any still under warranty. Do an online search if concerned, enthusiast webistes tend to report even the ridiculous, not just the useful.

A truck can be decent enough for a fulltimer (the tendency to carry too much stuff), but for the vacationer using the TT 30-days/5k miles annually, it may not be at all suitable for solo duties. Keep both uses in mind.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
One checks the TW scale (SHERLINE) against the values from a segmented weight scale.

1] The TV, solo
2] The combined rig, WD not applied

The distance from hitch ball to trailer axle center is the total length from which one deducts the percentage distance from hitch ball to jack.

"Weight ratings" are as subject to marketing (profit) as to any engineering. One does not exceed tire or axle ratings is about it. And TW can be shifted among it's three points of contact (TV steer and drive axle, and TT axles) to accommodate most situations. Not all WD distribution schemes are the same, and are often dependent on vehicle type.

Contact Andrew Thomson at CAN AM RV for advice about a particular vehicle, or a range of vehicles that might work given climate, terrain, trailer spec and expected use. No perfect TV out there, all have drawbacks. Focusing on "weight ratings" clouds the fact that the usual "solution" -- a pickp truck -- has not only higher operational costs than many other types, but is prone to handling & braking deficiencies that, loaded or empty, have a higher risk of injury for any miles travelled.

As to warranty I sure wouldn't worry over it. The trucks I've used for commercial service under conditions FAR in excess of ratings were serviced as any still under warranty. Do an online search if concerned, enthusiast webistes tend to report even the ridiculous, not just the useful.

A truck can be decent enough for a fulltimer (the tendency to carry too much stuff), but for the vacationer using the TT 30-days/5k miles annually, it may not be at all suitable for solo duties. Keep both uses in mind.

Wise words. Thanks Slowmover.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Going back to the five tire pad scale scenario I posted earlier where all four wheels are on weight pads, if the jack stand is on the weight pad or some contraption supporting the ball socket is on the weight pad, and discounting the weight of that support, the total weight of the trailer will be the same.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Myth alert - not much tongue weight is transferred back to the trailers axels, let alone the silly 1/3 that is often claimed (I bet I even have a 4-5 year old post from when I heard that).

This is proven via scale weights and Sean will even confirm at ProPride.

Scales with and without weight distribution enabled with the TV and trailer loaded up for travel is the only true way to know for sure....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Sort of like the old adage, "only the hair dresser knows the color for sure..."

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
This has probably been posted before, but some may find it helpful.

Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
The other big issue IMHO on SUV's vs trucks, is the size and rating of the tires. Alot of SUV's only allow for a C rated or P rated tire, while a 3/4 ton truck can use E rated tires. Even 1/2 tons have a hard time finding an E rated but generally can find D rated. As far as gas rig vs diesel, it is still more of "I want a diesel" vs "I need a diesel", and modern gas rigs have consistantly shown they can go as many miles as a diesel without all of the fuel and maintenance hassles, not to mention the initial cost factors.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote