Old 07-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redteddy76 View Post
We have a 1968 Airstream Tradewind which weighs approximately 4,500 pounds. We have owned the trailer for 11 years and have always hauled it with a Chevy 1500 Suburban and a sway bar system. Our first suburban was a 2001 with the trailer package from the factory and this truck did a great job hauling the trailer with no issues. Two years ago we up dated our truck to a 2013 Suburban and have found this truck just does not work with our trailer. This truck is a 1500 also - but no factory trailer package so we had an air bag system installed. Still we have times that the trailer wants to fishtail really bad. We have experimented with additional air etc, but nothing seems to work. Are the newer Suburbans that much lighter weight? Do we need to go to a 2500? Does the factory trailer package make a difference? We just need some answers, before we put our truck up for sale to find a better option to keep us and our trailer safe.
Hi Redteddy76:

Sorry to hear you are having such problems with your current TV and TT.

Since you did not have a problem with the same trailer and WD hitch with your older vehicle, I think you have to look to the 2013 Suburban to address your sway issue.

First, tires. What load range are they? Do you run with all four tires inflated to the pressure marked on the tire sidewall? You need sidewall stiffness in your tires to resist lateral movement (sway). My V2500 Suburban ordered with HD towing came with Load Range E tires--80 lbs psi rated.

Second, axles/suspension. What are the axle load ratings? Are you exceeding them? A low GVWR axle will be paired with a similarly low rated suspension--a package deal. Low axle/suspension rating may mean your rigs ability to resist lateral movement is inadequate for towing.

Third, torsion bars. A torsion bar, sometimes called a sway bar, is an additional suspension element that increases your vehicles resistance to body roll. My V2500 suburban came with a rear torsion bar.

Fourth, steering play. How precise is your steering? How much rotation of the steering wheel do you have to make before the vehicle starts to steer in the new direction? The more play, the more lateral motion can steer your vehicle before the driver can make a corrective response.

I do not want to sound like I am detracting from the other posters here, but I am concerned that fine tuning the hitch isn't getting at the root of your problem. The thing to keep in mind is that the anti sway hitches are oscillation dampers--they use friction or increased tension to kill lateral movement. Very useful indeed, but reactive, rather than proactive answers to the TV/TT tendency to sway.

The Hensley and Pro Pride hitches do offer an advantage by effectively increasing the distance from pivot point to trailer axle. Good physics at work there which may be helpful in correcting your problem.

Do heed the sound advice given by the other posters regarding hitches and proper set up. But, as your original post suggests you already know, you need to start with the TV.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
I agree with J Morgan, a Hensley will resolve all of your issues. I have used one for 10+ years. It simply works to stop any and all sway. It does however have it's critics, mostly due to the hitching-up requirements,

Old 07-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"All"????

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Equalizer fan here, no sway, less complicated and less expensive than the Hensley.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tow Vehicle Information Needed….

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
"All"????

Flat out all, in my experience.

Compared with the old Husky brand setup, there is absolutely no sway under any circumstances. Thats why I spent the money to get the peace of mind.

I particularly enjoy the fact that the AS stays behind me in downtown Phoenix traffic panic stops--smoke from all eight TV and AS tires at least once. Can't believe those local folks....

I also have zero issues hitching and unhitching, backing or tight turns. It just flat works. Makes the AS track much like a fifth wheel--which takes a bit of getting used to, admittedly.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redteddy76 View Post
We have a 1968 Airstream Tradewind which weighs approximately 4,500 pounds. We have owned the trailer for 11 years and have always hauled it with a Chevy 1500 Suburban and a sway bar system. Our first suburban was a 2001 with the trailer package from the factory and this truck did a great job hauling the trailer with no issues. Two years ago we up dated our truck to a 2013 Suburban and have found this truck just does not work with our trailer. This truck is a 1500 also - but no factory trailer package so we had an air bag system installed. Still we have times that the trailer wants to fishtail really bad. We have experimented with additional air etc, but nothing seems to work. Are the newer Suburbans that much lighter weight? Do we need to go to a 2500? Does the factory trailer package make a difference? We just need some answers, before we put our truck up for sale to find a better option to keep us and our trailer safe.
I would start by removing the add on Air Bag System. It is throwing of the dynamics of the factory suspension. With your WD Hitch set up properly you shouldn't have any problem leveling the TV. You are well within your weight limits of that half ton suburban with a tongue weight of about 500+# .
The air bags essentially keep the weight of the suspension and truck body is teetering on the Airbags.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Stiffer tires in plies and air pressure. No air bags should be needed with distribution hitch on that Combo. Load trailer like you always did ...if anything a tad heavier to front and camper level when hitched. Surprised you felt air bags were needed. Are you hauling more in tv? I know some newer suv's are softer but camper is not that heavy.
Takes a lot of trial and error to get set up but I think air bags are the problem.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Hudsonville , Michigan
Tow Vehicle

Thanks for all the input - it definitely gives us things to check and double check on our 2013 Suburban, trailer weight, WD hitch set up, etc. One thing I will mention - we did not add the air bag system right away on this truck, only after hauling our trailer last summer and the issues we were having. We were looking for answers then and was told an air bag system would solve the problem - which it has not….. That is why I posted on this site to get the information you are all offering. Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2016, 04:09 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Please post a photo of your airbag system if you have it installed at this point or already have a photo handy.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Hudsonville , Michigan
Tow Vehicle

For those that have asked about our tires on the Suburban they are Michelins LTX M/S P265/70R17. Max load of 2535 lbs.

The air bags systems is Air Lift brand - if you want a picture I can get that tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #25
ToyHouse

2014 27' FB Classic
Quesnel , British Columbia
Hello Redteddy76:
I have pulled an assortment of trailers with the following "Suburbans" or Yukon XLs or Escalade ESVs ( 1997, 2001, 2003 and 2007 and all essentially 1500 models) The 1997 and 2001 had trailer packages but really the packages were more for extra cooling capacity rather than significant suspension improvements. The 2003 and 2007 had no claimed trailer packages as such. I only ever used WD hitch assemblies. And like you I continued to used the same trailer and WD hitch through a vehicle change. In 2007 the factory trailer hitch assembly was mounted integrally into the bumper assembly for an outside appearance improvement but then the ball height increased substantially. Several people's postings on this topic have mentioned ball height. I am curious if you have dealt with the ball height?
...Tom
Old 07-16-2016, 06:26 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Hudsonville , Michigan
Tow vehicle

Yes we did lower our ball down to accommodate for the higher hitch. We can actually drop it one more spot- then it would be in the lowest position possible.