Old 04-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Wow - I can only imagine what RPM the engine was at - 1st gear at 40 MPH?!? That had to lead to some heat build up in the engine too...
Heading into Taos, NM from the West, it felt like I was going to blow the engine on my 2012 Dodge Ram Hemi 5.7. Even the tow setting stopped downshifting properly. Heading into Town, the engine sounded like it was running faster than indicated on the tachometer. Fortunately, it truck recovered when it cooled down. Also, not enough attention is given to the benefits of an exhaust brake. If you have difficulty going up hill, you just destroy your engine. Difficulty going down hill, can be much worse, especially in the Rockies. :-)

Holy Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #30
1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Diesels Stink.
The fuel stinks and the exhaust stinks.
Get some fuel on your shoes or clothes and you will smell it all day.
I have both diesel and gas tractors and don't mind the smell so much when I'm out mowing or some such but I would never want a diesel for my daily driver or when I'm trying to stay clean. My gas tractors are far more pleasant to operate.
And diesel exhaust stinks. Let the engine idle while you go back and check your hitch and it will make you choke. Plus diesels leave a greasy black smear on everything behind them. Look at trailers that are pulled by a diesel.
Diesels are Noisy too. Outside and inside the cab they are far Noisier than a gasser.
Diesels cost a lot more than a gasser and cost more to maintain. Yes they have greater longevity than a gasser. But are you willing to drive a 20 year old truck to use that extra longevity? I am not.
I suggest you buy a 3/4 ton gasser in your favorite flavor.

Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Originally Posted by Holy Grail View Post
Difficulty going down hill, can be much worse, especially in the Rockies. :-)
We had a brief glimpse of this yesterday, heading from Kerville TX to Fort Stockton on I-10 where we had a short 7% grade.

The automatic diesel brake on my 2016 Ram worked very well. The Cummins might be expensive, but for those of us with little or no towing skills, it adds a measure of safety while we slowly gain experience.
2016 30' Flying Cloud / 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Boca Raton , Florida
We started RVing in 1978 with a truck slide in on a 1976 F-250 Custom with a 360 CID, 4 speed standard 410 rear end... been through Tiffin class C, Tiffin Allegro Bus, Safari Trek, Monaco Diplomat and 3, 5th wheels (all high end garbage). We got rid of our last 5th wheel and kept the TV when we bought our 23FB Flying Cloud. The TV is a Tundra TRD 4X4 SR5 with tow package: Firestone air bags on the rear, 48 gallon fuel tank. We have pulled this rig from Florida to Vermont multiple times, through the Application Mountains from North Georgia, Tennessee, the Carolina's into the Poconos, then down to the hill country in Texas... Nothing scary, no issues with big rigs, wind or tire failures on the GYM 14" factory set up with ball only, no WDH or anti sway other than the features the Tundra TRD package adds to the mix. We keep it at 65 MPH and just smile when others towing at 80 blow by us. (we often see them down the road with a blow out or overheated vehicle). FYI we load with common sense and carry our 60 pound American Bulldog, our 35 pound Wheaten Terrier, my 185 pounds and my wife's XXXX pounds (I'm not crazy). In my humble opinion, you can save a lot of money by maintaining your equipment and using it with care and respect.

bobgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote