Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Having owned both Ford 6.9 and 7.3 diesels I agree with you. The 7.3 was bullet proof. Keep in mind that the 6.9, 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 diesel were not made by Ford. I now have the new Ford built and engineered 2011 diesel and it is amazing. The only question is how it will hold up in the long term. By all accounts to date, I expect it will do very well.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #30
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Having owned both Ford 6.9 and 7.3 diesels I agree with you. The 7.3 was bullet proof. Keep in mind that the 6.9, 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 diesel were not made by Ford. I now have the new Ford built and engineered 2011 diesel and it is amazing. The only question is how it will hold up in the long term. By all accounts to date, I expect it will do very well.
On that note I am on a Chevy truck forum where my signature says:
"GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel, I don't swear by it, I SWEAR AT IT!!!"

Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2005 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Hayden , Idaho
Hi there, we own a 2008 3500 dodge 6.7 which I'm sure will tow fine, however we also have a 2011 5.7l Jeep Grand Cherokee w/tow pkg. We're looking at a 2006 Safari 25FB - do you think our Jeep would tow it? We're debating between getting the 25 or just getting a 2005 Classic 28 that's really nice and writing off the option of using the Jeep. Any advice?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Traded my 2010 f150 supercrew 4x4 ,it pulled the trailer just fine but the payload was so limited that after I hooked up the Airstream it only left 350lbs for fuel passengers and gear.Did not want any legal problems if a accident ever occured I have read that you can be sued for gross negligence if it is found that you exceeded the manufactures max payload no matter if you add airbags or helper springs etc....And your insurance company will run away
Now I have a 2012 F350 super crew 8ft longbox 4x4 diesel which is built to do what I want.It is as good as it gets.
Quiet and comfortable.Hill decent works great as does the built in satellite weather radar for those pop up hail storms.The transmission is much better than the f150 also.Not that much more $$$.No diesel smell!And very powerful which comes in handy.I agonized for weeks before making the decision to trade and drove the ecoboost.But it was not for me I like to take a lot of things with me when I go.Just not enough pay load in the F150 even with the hd payload package.
I have pulled with it just over 5000mile so far.
I could not have chosen a better tv for my use! No regrets..........
Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A DRW 3500 can be taken off the road by a trailer of any number of types that weigh less than the truck. Seen it more than once.

With a TT, get the best hitch, the best trailer brakes & brake controller. Spend the money here, and the range of TV choices becomes much wider and deeper.

A truck is never the best choice for TV when the TT is as sophisticated as an A/S, only when the amount of junk carried by the owners exceeds what a better handling, braking and steering TV could do.

MrB, a few of us have wondered where you'd been (escaped CC, I see . . I'm next), glad to see you back, and what has happened with the old Chevy restoration you'd started in an older thread?

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #34
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
A DRW 3500 can be taken off the road by a trailer of any number of types that weigh less than the truck. Seen it more than once.

With a TT, get the best hitch, the best trailer brakes & brake controller. Spend the money here, and the range of TV choices becomes much wider and deeper.

A truck is never the best choice for TV when the TT is as sophisticated as an A/S, only when the amount of junk carried by the owners exceeds what a better handling, braking and steering TV could do.

MrB, a few of us have wondered where you'd been (escaped CC, I see . . I'm next), glad to see you back, and what has happened with the old Chevy restoration you'd started in an older thread?

I still have it, I was in a car accident last year, broke my back, had to close the show down. I had a guy hit me from behind over on 37, I was doing 65, he was doing 100. Kind of messed up my day.

I am up in Houston now going to college.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #35
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahojim View Post
Hi there, we own a 2008 3500 dodge 6.7 which I'm sure will tow fine, however we also have a 2011 5.7l Jeep Grand Cherokee w/tow pkg. We're looking at a 2006 Safari 25FB - do you think our Jeep would tow it? We're debating between getting the 25 or just getting a 2005 Classic 28 that's really nice and writing off the option of using the Jeep. Any advice?
Your jeep will pull that much weight, it is nowhere near big enough to tow that trailer.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #36

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Here is a post I did comparing towing with a 2011 F250 diesel with a 2010 F150 eco on a 7,000 mile round trip from Portland, OR to Alaska this year. It was a non scientific posting of observations in all kinds of roads and conditions. Included, of course, are the opinions of several of the "experts" on our board.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...son-92945.html

One thing to place close attention to if you go with the F250 is the hitch. After reading many informative posts here about the stiff suspension of the F250, I switched to lighter rated bars on my hitch and the ride for both the trailer and the truck improved dramatically.

Another interesting note was that my diesel finally "broke in" and the mileage improved after 20,000+ miles. I've had that happen before with previous diesels, but usually after 5K to 10K miles. Go with the diesel. You will never look back and say "I wish I had less power."

Looks like you never did follow up on posting the rear axle ratio of that F150, and never identified it as an Ecoboost until this thread. What was your friend's rear axle?

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

I have towed with a 99 F250 7.3 Diesel, 2001 Excursion 7.3 Diesel, 2004 Excursion 6.0 Diesel, 2007 GMC Yukon XL 6.1 Gas, 2001 Excursion 7.3 Modified Diesel and now a 2012 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Crew Cab Standard Box with 6.6 Duramax Diesel and Allison Transmission in that order.

The only vehicle I absolutely hated from the day I hooked a trailer to it was the Yukon gasser. I sold it shortly after buying it at a significant loss and bought the used 2001 Excursion 7.3 which I modified.

I just sold the 2001 Excursion and after driving the Ford F250 6.7 Diesel, the Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Diesel and the GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 6.6 Duramax/Allison, the GMC was hands down the best towing rig. I have always been partial to the Ford line but drive the GMC and I believe you will be very surprised at how it rides, handles and tows.

I would not pull with anything where I was pushing more than 50-75% of max towing capacity of the TV for most of the reasons covered above, especially towing all over the Rockies. I like to put it in cruise and regardless of altitude, grade, load, wind, etc. etc. worry about my engine or transmission over heating, being able to pass when needed, merging into fast moving highway traffic, or emergency stopping.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We opted for the 3/4 diesel over the Eco-b ... there is no substitute for the torque of the diesel when pulling a load uphill ... where our F150 was always "hunting for the proper gear", the diesel rarely even shifts down on hills. The 3/4 T also adds more capacity to the hitch, suspension, rear axle, brakes, AND (often forgotten) tires / wheel combo. We found that pulling a SOB with the 5.4 Triton was not quite enough and use our jeep to maneuver the AS into the parking spot in our driveway.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2005 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Hayden , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast

Your jeep will pull that much weight, it is nowhere near big enough to tow that trailer.
That's good to know. We were opting for a 25fb since the gvrw was 7300 and were assured by the sales guy it would work with our jeep. With a 30k budget we're now looking at a 19 CCD we can tow with both vehicles or a nice classic 28 we just found- both 2004's.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
I have towed with a 99 F250 7.3 Diesel, 2001 Excursion 7.3 Diesel, 2004 Excursion 6.0 Diesel, 2007 GMC Yukon XL 6.1 Gas, 2001 Excursion 7.3 Modified Diesel and now a 2012 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Crew Cab Standard Box with 6.6 Duramax Diesel and Allison Transmission in that order.

The only vehicle I absolutely hated from the day I hooked a trailer to it was the Yukon gasser. I sold it shortly after buying it at a significant loss and bought the used 2001 Excursion 7.3 which I modified.

I just sold the 2001 Excursion and after driving the Ford F250 6.7 Diesel, the Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Diesel and the GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 6.6 Duramax/Allison, the GMC was hands down the best towing rig. I have always been partial to the Ford line but drive the GMC and I believe you will be very surprised at how it rides, handles and tows.

I would not pull with anything where I was pushing more than 50-75% of max towing capacity of the TV for most of the reasons covered above, especially towing all over the Rockies. I like to put it in cruise and regardless of altitude, grade, load, wind, etc. etc. worry about my engine or transmission over heating, being able to pass when needed, merging into fast moving highway traffic, or emergency stopping.
Yup, I agree.
Chevy Silverado HD2HD | Pickup Truck Comparison | Chevrolet.com
Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Idahojim

Don't believe anything a salesman tells you about towing capability. Always verify yourself.

Good luck on your Airstream search.

Dan
Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Diesel fan here as well, just not in bloated poor-handling full-size trucks.

We are retired and travel too much for that, go to destinations for a awhile and do not care for a struggling with big trucks as a daily driver. Presently looking for a Euro-type diesel SUV. Plenty of pulling power for Airstream with exceptional handling and braking, and less likely to beat up our Airstream.

doug k