Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

Vernon , Illinois
Tow Question

Greeting,

I'm new here.

I have been looking for a trailer for my son to live in this summer. He will tow it 200miles in Illinois (not too many hills) to his job in May, park it and tow it home in August. He has a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 2wd. I have found a 73 Argosy 24'. The trailer weight is 5800. I was hoping to find a little smaller lighter trailer but they are few and far between. He has a class 3 hitch on the pickup that was purchased from the dodge dealer. I'm not sure of the axle ratio but I think it may be 3.93. How will we need to equip the pickup or is the 24' Argosy too much?

Thanks for all replies.
10drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Check the weight rating of the class 3 hitch as they can vary. If it's under 6000 you'll need a different hitch.

You'll need an electric brake controller and a weight distributing hitch.

I'm not sure what the tow rating is on the 2003 but in reality you'll be fine for a short distance tow.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hi, 10drum, and welcome.

200-miles is more than far enough for me to feel stupid for not getting things right. The thread I'm going to link below here has a chart for setting up a WDH (weight distributing hitch) via weight scale readings. It's easy to use.

The thread also has a good number of links to it that will provide the reading you may care to do. Getting a hitch set up properly seems to take more time to read and talk about than to get right . . . but 90% of the rigs you see going down the road aren't right.

Done well it is truly finger-tip steering (in a manner of speaking). Done poorly it's a stressful day at the wheel under good conditions.

Have a look, do some reading, and get back to us with your questions.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...mbi-65678.html

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote