Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my first thoughts on these stick-on mirrors was vibration; Since they are just stuck on the vehicle's mirror glass, but most all of you stated that they don't vibrate. I trust the vacuum part, because I personally know how powerful vacuum can be. At Ford school many years ago [like 35?] they had a vacuum motor from Ford product's head light door mounted to a work bench. You could stand on a bracket that was attached to this vacuum motor and with just a few inches of vacuum, it would pick up a 200 lb + person. I have the CIPA slip on mirrors and they are just better than nothing.

Thank You. Silvercamper / Sharon & Winston

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #22

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The Tow N' Sees vibrate much les than the McKesh, plus they fully adjust from the diver's seat. They have a tether to make sure that you don't lose them. We have driven about 4,000 miles with them, and have not neede the tether cord.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
tow 'n see mirrors

We've got a pair (one convex for passenger side; the other regular for driver side). It may be just the luck of the draw, but on occasion, the driver side mirror will slip off. I've gotten improved performance by dripping a little water onto the suction cups before applying them to the mirrors. I find that I still have to periodically adjust the remote mirrors, because wind resistance against the tow 'n see mirrors tends to slowly turn the primary mirrors inward. Still, they are an inexpensive and relatively successful alternative to pricier mirror setups!

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Thumbs up Now See Here

THANKS FOR THE INFO SILVERCAMPER. Gonna order right NOW!

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Timely Thread - again! HOW! do they do that???

Hello all -

Saw those 'suction cup' mirrors at CW today. Been hemming and hawing back and forth on new mirrors.... Quality and stable mirrors, that are aftermarket, are usually quite an investment.

After much internet and real store searching, I settled on the Schefenecker mirrors that add the running/ turn signal lights as well as being power adjustable (manual extend) and having heat....

I won't bore you all with the million and one machinations I searched thru... Suffice it say,

#1 - Chevy had OEM aftermarket (ALL manual - NO lights/heat) for $225/ per side.
#2 - Autozone, etc... had OEM aftermarket (ALL manual - NO lights/heat) for $150/ per side
#3 - Parts resellers had OEM aftermarket ( power adjustable if on vehicle - NO lights/ heat) for $125 per side
#4 - Aftermarket Truck/ Automotive place in town (TSI Automotive, in ABQ - GREAT place! and even better people!) had Schefenecker mirrors (with Power adjustment, Turn/ marker lights AND heat) for $230 per side. Can even be color matched to vehicle but comes with basic black.

Read up a LOT on mirrors and found a lot of great info with the "Search Button" above....

Came to the decision that power adjustment was KEY! Read Pohaskas insights. Hit one good pothole, in among the semi's, on I-whatever, doing 65mph... and you know of what I speak! Plus, when the other half drives and adjusts to her stature, I don't want to spend another 15 minutes in the rest area to get it back to my sweet spot...

Also having the Turn Signal/ running lights was VERY important to me for safety and visibility. Having driven around with enough others that have signals and don't use them, or have signals/ lights that or burned out, or simply don't care about ANYONE around themselves... I am FOR BEING SEEN! The more the better as far as I am concerned!!! Also have a LED light stick across the rear of the TV (Running lights, Turn signals, Flashers,etc...), to broadcast to EVERYONE what my intentions are... Will be adding this to the rear of SilverToy as well!

Having the heat on the mirrors, was a tertiary issue, but since it was bundled with the lights/ power it become a nice add-on.

As I said, per the internet searches I could pull up, I was looking at AT LEAST $550 PLUS S/H... When I called the local shop I was quoted $500 with install... When I said I could do the install myself (Schefenecker website had VERY complete instrustions - basic plug and play!) it went down to $460.

SOLD!

Will be in on Tuesday or Wednesday. Will report back when I get the install done.

Peace out!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, SilverToy. I also concidered these mirrors, but they don't seem to have them for my Navigator.

Bob
Old 12-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
WOW! Thanks, I was thinking of letting Santa bring me a pair of these, but have been warry since I was so disapointed in my slip on...vibrates like a mad hatter. I can't wait to get a set now!!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
F/L/Mercury

Bob -

I would think (I have been known to be wrong - once! ;>0 ) that the Ford part would be a plug in for the same year. There is likely no way that Lincon is going to re-engineer parts like mirrors and such. I would check that line of thought out. In fact, I'll call TSI on monday to ask. Will report back when I get the info.

If it does work out as affirmative on the Lincoln/Ford issue, I would be happy to get the part for you and then send it to you - the price break is SIGNIFICANT from manufacturor prices, so you would likely be ahead even with shipping from me to you. Heck maybe TSI could get them shipped to you for that price - I'll check. Send me a PM with your location so I can ask.

I'll keep everyone apprised as detail develop.

Peace out

Axel
Old 12-17-2006, 02:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Lincoln mirrors

Checked into the availability for the Schefenecker mirrors for you Lincoln Truck - and there is some.

Lincoln '05 and NEWER, they have the full range of options available.

They list retail cost, but a call to them would likely get a better figure, then you hit them with the old (but it works!!!!) and an additional rebate for CASH? Oh, and I want to install them myself. Got about $100 knocked off on my mirrors that were gonna cost $550 plus tax - installed.

Phone call to be sure they had them - Saved $50
Installed myself - saved $40
Cash - saved $10

That's a 20% reduction in price out the door. Works for me.

You success may vary.

Peace out

Axel

BTW - All the info used and quoted came from the 2006 RV Accessories catalog. Schefenecker is on p.520 in the Automotive section.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Christmas comes early? Hardly!

Hello all -

Christmas comes early....? Hardly! Picked up the Schefenecker mirrors came in yesterday, paid and took 'em home - in the snow. Over 2 hours to take the 20 minute run... Wrecks ALL OVER!!!!

4x4 paid for itself yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 12% grade with a 300degree hairpin right in the middle of it!!! Full power! 4x4 LOW! GIANT CHUNKS OF SNOW rooster tailing off all 4 tires!

Kinda cool in retrospect! Of course I was trying to stay on the road, and out of the guard rail they kindly put up, to keep me and mine from the 60+ foot drop off on the other side....

Shoveled the driveway off - 4 inches. Overnight we got an additional 15 inches!!! No way the wife is getting her Honda up that 12% incline. Hotel in town for her....

Back to the mirrors - They are going to have to wait for more favorable conditions outside.... ARG!!! I've had them out of the shipping box 4 times, read the manual about 8 times, thought about going outside and giving it a try despite the weather..... about 35 MILLION times!!!!

Having to sit on my hands - certainly makes typing tough!! Hunt and peck with a toothbrush in my teeth - took 20 minutes to do this note Kidding!

Seriously, though, these mirrors are going to be great! The documentation online is EXACTLY what I got with the product. FAST shipping. They look terrific, will be fully functional - they way I want them to be. WITH lights and Signals!

Will report again after the install.

Stay warm!

Axel
Old 12-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #31
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Wondering

Do these mirrors vibrate from the wind when driving and would they vibrate the mirrors off the vehicle in long term usage?I am thinking about getting a set because the ones I have were cheap and have finally gave out.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Not on your life!

Devo -

Not on your life!!! These are a hard mount, essentially they replace the OEM mirrors on the mount point on the door. Same location, same wiring, same everything.

If your OEM mirrors vibrate, then you have larger issues than a aftermarket mirror can solve.

Seriously, these things look GREAT!!! I CANNOT wait to get them mounted and then tow!!!! They extend out another 12 or so inches, out away from the body to allow better visibility around SilverToy... Add the additional running lights, turn signals (both LED!) and full adjustability with heat!

Sounds perfect IMHO!

Axel
Old 12-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #33
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Sorry About that.

I am sorry...I was talking about the Tow-N-See Mirrors.I have a Touareg and from what I know,They do not make anything for towing for the mirrors.I wish they did though.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
No worries Devo!

Just a correction - I said that the extension on the Schefenecker mirrors was 12inches - I mis-quoted, it is nearly 5inches per side, so nearly 10 inches total - if that sort of size thing matters to you. Just want to be factual.

Axel
Old 12-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #35
2005 28 ft. SAFARI

2005 28' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Hi Friends

We have owned and employed both the Schefenecker and the Tow-N-See mirrors and must add that if a truck is used mostly for towing, then nothing beats the Schefenecker series.

But we are in New York City and our daily driver/tow vehicle must fight its way through narrow spaces every day while towing is done on four to five occasions per year. Our Schefeneckers were posted on this very site and finally sold on Ebay after one trip to Florida. This was at a loss of $250. but they were just too much for the city.

We found the Tow-N-See mirrors a simple, workable and economical solution for those of us who only tow for about 10% of the time.

Sharon & Winston
Silvercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I E-mailed to Schefenecker Mirror company and received a reply from them stateing: They do not make mirrors to fit on my 2000 Lincoln Navigator. I have the Cipa slip ons, but not real happy with them. Biggest complaint, not wide enough to see straight down the sides of my trailer. Very important when backing into tight spaces like my driveway. Because of this, I have to get out of my TV several times to see exactly where I'm going.

Bob
Old 12-23-2006, 02:11 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Sharon and Winston

I am very curious as to the details, that caused you to remove and sell the Schefenecker mirrors. More mirror is generally good - a significantly larger glass with the addition of the smaller concave glass gives me unparralleled vision to everything on that side if the vehicle.... Amazing.

I love the ability to see, better than before, and to have loads of additional features, in addition to the OEM factory features I have gotten used to.

So this brings me back to the question. What was the problem, that drove you to the trouble to remove and sell them. TOO large? Knocking people on the sidewalk over when you forgot to retrackt after the camping outing? Narrow garage?? What???????????

Inquiring Minds ....here.......

Axel
Old 12-23-2006, 02:28 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Sharon and Winston

Reread your post.

I say that you get some 48" tires on some 12" rims. Get a CB with a 15 whip antenea, a Brush bar with 8 Hella Lights across, and a 3 horn AIRHORN!!!!

Those paying attention babies will SEE you coming and get out the way so fast, and the non-attention paying, well, they get the "HOLY CR*P scared out of 'em when you pull right up on thir bumper then you hit the AIRHORN - HARD!!!!!! They'll make that mistake only once!!! Then they'll move out of your way.

But seriously, the streets can be narrow (we lived in Vienna,Austria - talkabout TIGHT streets!!!!) I still have nightmares. THe streets in towns aren't that small that I could see these mirrors becoming a problem. Perhaps I am not thinking of something that perhaps I shoud consider, if you could share.....

I know that the Holidays are FAST approaching so please do not feel obligated to respond before the big day, after is fine as well. You can contact me easiliest at my email address - factor8man@yahoo.com or you should feel free to contact me by phone at 505-440-0046

All the best to you and yours for this Holiday Season, and wishes for a truly happy New Year!

Axel
Old 12-23-2006, 05:34 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Ordered

Just ordered a set. Hope I see them before we leave for the Get Together. Thanks for the info Phil
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #40
2005 28 ft. SAFARI

2005 28' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Hello SILVERTOY

Happy Holidays to you. We are never too busy to respond to a question.

Even the regular mirrors of the Tahoe are sometimes too much for New York City. There are delivery trucks, emergency vehicles and trucks of all sorts which have been known to come to a halt on many a street which was already narrow to begin with. We are forced to employ that automatic fold away feature which allows us to squeeze by on our way to work or to our son's school. Another source of pain was navigating the vehicle through the shared driveway to the garage in the back. With the Schefeneckers attached this feat necessitated many trips to the outside of the Tahoe to fold away and then open the same. This gigantic set of mirrors was in our opinion at their best when actually towing a trailer. Once the trailer was no longer behind us-- 90% of the time, there was too much information. We only need to know the contents of the one or two lanes on our left or right. With the Schefeneckers we could see more than five lanes at once. Too much information.

With the Tow-N-See variety which cost under $30. each we are able to see the lanes beside the AS and once we become unhitched these are easily removed and we are back to our regular rearward vision. I hope we have answered your questions. Now we're off to get those last minute gifts which we forgot. Enjoy the Holidays.

Sharon & Winston
Silvercamper is offline   Reply With Quote