Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
That is a total exaggeration of the point in the post you just quoted!

Not really. Just an extension. An extension that is backed by as much fact as an assertion that the OPs proposed combination, properly set up, would be any kind of undue safety hazard at all.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Your last reply is non-responsive regarding the troll-ish comments you keep making, just to have the illusion of being right IMO.

One person's "extension" can also be an exaggeration.

Over and out.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Vehicle tow limits are “one size fits all” limits that are set by vehicle manufacturers for mass produced vehicles.

It is an assumption that hitches, anti sway devises, effective trailer brakes, and prudent vehicle/hitch modifications can not extend these generally imposed limits.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Your last reply is non-responsive regarding the troll-ish comments you keep making, just to have the illusion of being right IMO.

One person's "extension" can also be an exaggeration.

Over and out.

Why does disagreeing with your position in a like tone as the tone you project make me “trollish”?

Old 10-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
So five wrongs make a right?
No, but driving has risks we all take on the road. The only way to really be safe is to stay off the road. I just steer clear of anything that looks unstable. If you think a CAT scale slip on the seat of your $50,000 tow vehicle towing a $100,000 Airstream is going to keep you safe from the lawyers if you wreck you're kidding yourself.

I keep going back to the OPs question. The Highlander will tow a 22'. He may actually tow safer than someone who's been to the CAT scale 5 times today and adjusted each tire pressure to that individual wheel load. And might be a lot more fun to camp next to.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #86
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I woud suggest that considering the warranty (and possible legal) impact of any mods to a vehicle *is* a legitimate concern. How big an issue - that depends.

The laws about "no impact to warranty from normal servicing" may not cover a 24" lift kit on a Honda Civic. I'll guarantee that how much impact they have will depend more on how much of a jerk you run into at the Honda dealer than anything else. Over the years, Honda has been *very* understanding on my vehicles ....

I have sat on a jury when some of this stuff came up. How much of an impact it had ... that's a different issue. Another jury might not have seen things the same way. Any lawyer worth having will toss up a lot of stuff "just to see if it sticks". These days, anybody that *isn't* on a cell phone while driving is way ahead of the rest of the crowd "legal wise".

Insurance always depends on the company and to some extent on the adjuster. My observation over the years is that to some degree you get what you pay for. The outfit that insures your $100,000 trailer for full replacement and charges you $50 a year ..... may not pay off no matter what the facts are. If I'm drunk and on the cell phone, none of them are going to be real happy covering the loss.

The flip side on dealer issues is that warranties aren't forever and ever. Not every vehicle has a 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty. I don't have to look very far out my front door to see vehicles with all sorts of mods on them. That may just be the part of the world I live in.

It's not black and white, there *are* very legitimate issues things to consider.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
But the trailer being specified in this thread does not exceed the towing weight limit that the TV manufacturer applied..... right?
It doesn't exceed the towing capacity of the TV but it does exceed the max hitch capacity by 163 lbs. A WDH will reduce some of that, but I don't know by how much.

The specs on my 4Runner say 700 lbs. hitch maximum, but the receiver says that when it's used in weight distribution its maximum is 1,095 lbs. I would assume that the OP's receiver will have a similar label on it, stating its maximum, most likely higher in WD than WC.

My opinion on the OP's Highlander is that as long as he keeps his AS and TV cargo to a minimum and his speed no higher than 65 on the Interstates, he'll be OK, but he is right at capacity. He'll have to decide if that's safe enough for him.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV-8 View Post
Actually, I apologize for a couple errors in my long message. I meant to say 20 foot Flying Cloud FB, not 19 as written. GVWR is 5,000 for the 20. Been looking at so many combinations of models that my mind slipped. The 19 configuration, 4,500, doesn't provide the layout that would work for us.

Also, I mentioned 6 volt power to the fridge. I meant to say 12 volt of course, this third power select being not available due because, I guess, no charging device operates in a trailer in transit. It is hoped that propane can fuel the cooling system on long duration travel between campground hook-ups. It would seem that ice packing is inconsistent with high-end equipment like Airstream, but may be a reality no matter how upscale.
Ok. The gvwr is 5000 lbs. that doesn’t mean you have to load the trailer to its limit. Even at that, you’re not exceeding the rated tow capacity if I understand this right.
On the fridge, keep in mind that it takes a evaporative unit many hours to cool down. We freeze water in milk cartons and place in the fridge to cool it down til the fridge takes over.
I suppose you could investigate if any AS come with 3 Way units (110vac/12vdc/LP) but I don’t know how common those are.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I woud suggest that considering the warranty (and possible legal) impact of any mods to a vehicle *is* a legitimate concern. How big an issue - that depends.

The laws about "no impact to warranty from normal servicing" may not cover a 24" lift kit on a Honda Civic. I'll guarantee that how much impact they have will depend more on how much of a jerk you run into at the Honda dealer than anything else. Over the years, Honda has been *very* understanding on my vehicles ....

I have sat on a jury when some of this stuff came up. How much of an impact it had ... that's a different issue. Another jury might not have seen things the same way. Any lawyer worth having will toss up a lot of stuff "just to see if it sticks". These days, anybody that *isn't* on a cell phone while driving is way ahead of the rest of the crowd "legal wise".

Insurance always depends on the company and to some extent on the adjuster. My observation over the years is that to some degree you get what you pay for. The outfit that insures your $100,000 trailer for full replacement and charges you $50 a year ..... may not pay off no matter what the facts are. If I'm drunk and on the cell phone, none of them are going to be real happy covering the loss.

The flip side on dealer issues is that warranties aren't forever and ever. Not every vehicle has a 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty. I don't have to look very far out my front door to see vehicles with all sorts of mods on them. That may just be the part of the world I live in.

It's not black and white, there *are* very legitimate issues things to consider.

Bob
As far as warranties go, I can't remember the last time I had to use a warranty. Who cares? Drivetrain components in HD trucks don't break in most usage. Most of my vehicles hit 70k miles in two years. Cars and SUVs might be another story.

By the way, it's legal to be "on a cell phone" while driving in most places (some require hands free device) and unless you have a sit-down, 8 hours-and-go-home job most people need to be available while driving. If you crash taking a phone call with today's technology you shouldn't be driving.

Anyway, my dash cams (front and rear) are always rolling.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #90
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
As much as a vehicle costs today, I care about the warranty.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #91
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Unfortunately, if you are towing they will likely deny any warranty no matter how much under the ratings you were. I know from experience that at least one of the big 3 will assume that you must have gone over the limits and claim abuse on your part to avoid having to honor the warranty.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I guess I'm used to buying stuff that doesn't break.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:39 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
For what it's worth... I am towing 33 ft long, 7,000 lbs light Jayco trailer with BMW X5. With PP hitch, the combo is stable like rock, no sucking up from semis, obviously no sway, etc.

3k miles ago I had the engine replaced at dealership. Under warranty... The receiver is reinforced (bolted to rear axle carrier), so they even needed to drop the hitch with the reinforcement to drop the exhaust system. No questions asked about the reinforcement, etc.

Concerns about towing and warranty claims? Anybody wants to show up with a trailer at dealership to have the car fixed?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:54 PM   #94
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
SloMo is on the attack again. Kinda reminds me of a line from Blazing Saddles.... “Who can argue with that? Why that’s genuine frontier jibberish...”
You're offering alternative evidence?

Or just treading water, out of your depth?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:59 PM   #95
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Unfortunately, if you are towing they will likely deny any warranty no matter how much under the ratings you were. I know from experience that at least one of the big 3 will assume that you must have gone over the limits and claim abuse on your part to avoid having to honor the warranty.
"Likely"? Based on what? Moss-Magnuson?

I've used Texas dealerships where trucks come in for service. Warranty and otherwise. Unless one has practically broken the frame (and I've seen that) , warranty is going to be honored. Why shouldn't it?

Besides, where ARE these broken tow vehicles? Having towed this trailer type. Uncles cousins wife's co-worker?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:25 AM   #96
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
It sounds like some posters are assuming that their warranties are for something more than defects in materials and workmanship.

The manufacturer's warranty typically doesn't cover a guarantee of fitness for purpose. If a warranty claim is denied, it is usually because it is for something that isn't covered. You can blame it on the towing, but it would help us all to see the failure analysis report that showed how the towing caused a failure that was not related to a manufacturer's defect. Redact the personal info, and post the service report and failure analysis.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:02 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I guess I'm used to buying stuff that doesn't break.

Me too. Except, in 1990 I bought Dodge with a Cummins and a five speed Gertag transmission. The transmission failed, and they assumed I overloaded it and didn’t cover the repair.

That is the last Chrysler product I ever bought.

Of course the Gertag was trash, and they knew it.

Other than that, my use of warranties has been slim to none, when I have used one its like “the dome light doesn’t come on when I open the door”.....

I have never had any other kind of major failure under warranty.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:19 AM   #98
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
"Likely"? Based on what? Moss-Magnuson?

I've used Texas dealerships where trucks come in for service. Warranty and otherwise. Unless one has practically broken the frame (and I've seen that) , warranty is going to be honored. Why shouldn't it?

Besides, where ARE these broken tow vehicles? Having towed this trailer type. Uncles cousins wife's co-worker?
No Moss-Magnuson in Canada.

The dealer needs to bring the manufacturer's rep who's job is to deny warranty claims. All they have to say is abuse and it is denied. No appeal.

Background: Factory hitch rated for 3,500 lbs and used for towing small 1900 lb (loaded) trailer, Bolts started to pull through bumper attachment points which were just sheet metal.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #99
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
A little off topic, but I now have one name in my ‘ignore’ list.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #100
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post

By the way, it's legal to be "on a cell phone" while driving in most places (some require hands free device) and unless you have a sit-down, 8 hours-and-go-home job most people need to be available while driving. If you crash taking a phone call with today's technology you shouldn't be driving.
Hi

Be really careful with that up here in the north east. A number of states have laws that will not let you have a cell phone in your hand while driving (either for calls or text). Regardless of the law specifically saying you can't, a lot of people still do have the phone up to their ear rolling down the road.

More to the point of this thread, if you are texting or chatting on the phone when there is an accident, that's going to come up. "Distracted driving" as a contributor to the accident will get tossed back and forth. Exactly how that all works out through the twists and turns of insurance and / or a court case - who knows.

Weight limits aren't the only thing that *might* get you tangled up in the event something goes wrong. The list is pretty long ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote