Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If the new custom hitch does not void the tow vehicle's mfg. warranty, or result in the insurance not covering any resulting damage in the event of an accident.

Plenty of modified vehicles on the road.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If a tow vehicle tows a trailer heavier than its “rated towing capacity” will it tear in half?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Trout Boy

I would not be too paranoid about the payload on your Grand Cherokee it will easily handle some additional people and cargo as long as you are connected properly.

The 1100 pound payload is almost all on the back axle as Jeep does not think you will be able to load weight to the front suspension. (There are no seats or Cargo areas at the front.) However with a weight distribution hitch you can move weight to the front axle. With weight distribution you can move about 180 pounds to the front wheels of the Jeep, this will send 150 pounds to the trailer axles leaving only 270 pounds for the rear axle to carry still leaving you about 700 pounds for additional cargo without overloading axle capacities. If you did slightly overload the rear axle of the Jeep I would not be too concerned as the Durango which has an identical chassis but 3 rows of seats is rated to carry a few hundred pounds more.

Load it up with all you really want to carry and take it to a scale, I think you'll find your fine.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #44
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If the new custom hitch does not void the tow vehicle's mfg. warranty, or result in the insurance not covering any resulting damage in the event of an accident.

Did you change tire brand last time? Have you ever used other than dealer-sourced parts for a brake job? What about the windshield wipers?

You've no experience, nor examples, to "prove" your assertion, do you?

Not even understanding that the insurance company has assumed liability.

Wrecks with commercial users happen. Liability limits far higher. Vehicles modified by owners in excess of what is contemplated here. Insurance isn't a problem.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Straw man arguments and insurance gloom-and-doom aside, the OP is talking about towing a 22 with a Highlander. Let's be real; it's probably fine if he has good judgement and driving ability.

The way people run to their insurance for every bump and scrape makes me wonder why insurance is as cheap (?) as it is. I wouldn't insure most people based on just what I see on the road everyday, CAT scale tickets aside.
Protagonist’s story wasn’t straw man. It was real. We can all spin long yarns about how you can tow an AS with a Smart Car, but in the end the OP is the only one that has to live with his decision. However you might take issue with the ratings, they’re there for a reason. Give yourself some margin and don’t worry.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Did you change tire brand last time? Have you ever used other than dealer-sourced parts for a brake job? What about the windshield wipers?

You've no experience, nor examples, to "prove" your assertion, do you?

Not even understanding that the insurance company has assumed liability.

Wrecks with commercial users happen. Liability limits far higher. Vehicles modified by owners in excess of what is contemplated here. Insurance isn't a problem.

SloMo is on the attack again. Kinda reminds me of a line from Blazing Saddles.... “Who can argue with that? Why that’s genuine frontier jibberish...”
Old 10-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Trout Boy

I would not be too paranoid about the payload on your Grand Cherokee it will easily handle some additional people and cargo as long as you are connected properly.

The 1100 pound payload is almost all on the back axle as Jeep does not think you will be able to load weight to the front suspension. (There are no seats or Cargo areas at the front.) However with a weight distribution hitch you can move weight to the front axle. With weight distribution you can move about 180 pounds to the front wheels of the Jeep, this will send 150 pounds to the trailer axles leaving only 270 pounds for the rear axle to carry still leaving you about 700 pounds for additional cargo without overloading axle capacities. If you did slightly overload the rear axle of the Jeep I would not be too concerned as the Durango which has an identical chassis but 3 rows of seats is rated to carry a few hundred pounds more.

Load it up with all you really want to carry and take it to a scale, I think you'll find your fine.

Andy

Thanks for the info, this makes me feel better! I have an equalizer with, I’ll take her to the scale!
Old 10-27-2017, 03:04 AM   #48
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
If you like send me an email andy@canamrv.ca and I can send you a file on how to measure your setup. If your Jeep has air suspension it is a little trickier to fine tune.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:11 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Protagonist’s story wasn’t straw man. It was real. We can all spin long yarns about how you can tow an AS with a Smart Car, but in the end the OP is the only one that has to live with his decision. However you might take issue with the ratings, they’re there for a reason. Give yourself some margin and don’t worry.
The OP was asking about towing a 22 with a Highlander. Not my choice but fact is he's within the limits for that. All the rest of the hyperbole in this thread is just that. so is the Airstream/Smart Car scenario.

The OP probably should get a real truck but let's not go off the deep end. It's a 22'.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #50
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
If a tow vehicle tows a trailer heavier than its “rated towing capacity” will it tear in half?
Hi

No it likely will not tear in half as you exit the parking lot

The question really is "what's the weak link in the chain". We focus a lot on axles. There are a bunch of parts that make up a vehicle. The way the receiver mounts into the chassis *might* be the weak link. Without some experimentation on a specific vehicle, it's going to be hard to know. If axles were the only weak spot in any vehicle design, we'd all just buy a Civic. Then swap the axles and tow 30,000 LB

Yes, I'm picking a bit on axles. We do focus occasionally on a few other components. I've been known to complain about shocks. I'm also not suggesting axles or their ratings are unimportant.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:10 AM   #51
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We do strengthen the receivers, add transmission coolers when needed and sometimes refine tire sizes but otherwise the several hundred of these Toyota platforms we have set up over the last 18 years are stock.

The body structure stays tighter than any body on frame vehicle I can think of. Driveline chassis component problems have been pretty much nil, very little other than normal maintenance.

If there is a weak link we have not found it yet.

Andy

Old 10-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Firestone , Colorado
The problem with a truck is that my 5' tall wife, accustomed to driving her Camry Hybrid with no tow-or-be-to-towed options whatsoever, can't be comfortable in an elevated heavy vehicle. When we considered towing of any kind, we researched vehicles that are basically going to do more work bringing the eggs and orange juice home from the grocery store than any towing - if not mileage wise then incident wise. She was comfortable enough in a Highlander, so it became the vehicle of choice based on comfort, quality, resale, capability, etc. If it cannot pull a 19 foot Airstream safely and easily, then we won't be buying one. The vehicle we committed to is now the boss of our decision. Maybe we have to scrap my dream of pulling an Airstream altogether, but I'm hoping that after all the dust of discussion is over, it can be done. With enjoyment. If it is such a hassle, then we go in another direction. As an engineer with caution, I take input from this forum seriously and with appreciation. There is absolutely nothing about RVing that is simple in whatever direction one goes. All configurations come with the plusses and minuses of the whole industry. There is no best direction for everyone, no end to the list for and against any one of them. It's frustrating and fascinating at the same time.

So, I'm plodding ahead with the solution for us, even though right now she just wants to throw the whole thing over to Class-A busses, which would surely break our bank and start a new discussion in some other talk chat.

For the past 9 years we have had a Pleasure-Way on an E-350 platform. It keeps up with traffic, parks anywhere, no tow needed. But, it's small, my wife and I and the dogs bump into each other, the dog dish always gets kicked, the mattress is too thin, the shower is too tight to use, and she's at wit's end. Now she worries that a trailer adds stress rocking and rolling being behind us, worries about refrigeration without a six volt power option, worries about all the discussion about weight and distribution, traveling with partial tank fills, using a small portable generator just to microwave a cup of coffee at a rest stop, and of course the prices of Airstreams. So, these are a few of our complications, but in Colorado, our travel season is over, and we have all winter to think about it all. Thanks all for the complex discussions. Life would be dull without challenges like these. In an impoverished world, think about the level at which these problems vex us. For most, they are in the stratosphere. But, after all, I love Airstreams, and I'm not giving up.
CV-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:51 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Don’t give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV-8 View Post
The problem with a truck is that my 5' tall wife, accustomed to driving her Camry Hybrid with no tow-or-be-to-towed options whatsoever, can't be comfortable in an elevated heavy vehicle. When we considered towing of any kind, we researched vehicles that are basically going to do more work bringing the eggs and orange juice home from the grocery store than any towing - if not mileage wise then incident wise. She was comfortable enough in a Highlander, so it became the vehicle of choice based on comfort, quality, resale, capability, etc. If it cannot pull a 19 foot Airstream safely and easily, then we won't be buying one. The vehicle we committed to is now the boss of our decision. Maybe we have to scrap my dream of pulling an Airstream altogether, but I'm hoping that after all the dust of discussion is over, it can be done. With enjoyment. If it is such a hassle, then we go in another direction. As an engineer with caution, I take input from this forum seriously and with appreciation. There is absolutely nothing about RVing that is simple in whatever direction one goes. All configurations come with the plusses and minuses of the whole industry. There is no best direction for everyone, no end to the list for and against any one of them. It's frustrating and fascinating at the same time.

So, I'm plodding ahead with the solution for us, even though right now she just wants to throw the whole thing over to Class-A busses, which would surely break our bank and start a new discussion in some other talk chat.

For the past 9 years we have had a Pleasure-Way on an E-350 platform. It keeps up with traffic, parks anywhere, no tow needed. But, it's small, my wife and I and the dogs bump into each other, the dog dish always gets kicked, the mattress is too thin, the shower is too tight to use, and she's at wit's end. Now she worries that a trailer adds stress rocking and rolling being behind us, worries about refrigeration without a six volt power option, worries about all the discussion about weight and distribution, traveling with partial tank fills, using a small portable generator just to microwave a cup of coffee at a rest stop, and of course the prices of Airstreams. So, these are a few of our complications, but in Colorado, our travel season is over, and we have all winter to think about it all. Thanks all for the complex discussions. Life would be dull without challenges like these. In an impoverished world, think about the level at which these problems vex us. For most, they are in the stratosphere. But, after all, I love Airstreams, and I'm not giving up.
I’m glad you’re not giving up. Isn’t the 19’ AS well below the 5K lbs that’s been discussed? From the discussion on this thread one can get the idea that setting up a tow vehicle/TT combo is incredibly complex. It is not. Set yourself up with a helpful dealer, like the poster from Ontario and get your margin of safety that way. Also, you’re an engineer. Use your judgement as to what makes sense.

These Airstreams have a low CG and are aerodynamic. They tow like a dream compared to box trailers.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
By the way

The 19’ Flying Cloud has a base weight of 3850lbs and a gvwr of 4500 lbs. so what’s wrong with the highlander? I’d say nothing.
As far as the fridge is concerned there are all kinds of things you can do before travel: cool it down the nite before and put in ice. It will stay cool while you travel. Some folks run the fridge on gas while traveling and turn it off while refueling.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV-8 View Post

Thats a problem with public specialty forums. There are sometimes too many people who are too eager to tell everyone what wont work and what will go wrong unless it is done exactly like this or exactly like they solved their problem......

That is a part of human nature.

Safety is important, solutions are important, but usually there is more than a single path to the same destination.

There is no doubt in my mind that the combination you propose, setup properly, can be as safe and as stable as any Airstream combination on the road.

FWIW, I have done about everything “wrong” on my Airstream and have been having a great and safe time being wrong for about four years now.

Elizabeth, me, and our pups LOVE the Airstream experience spending about half a year living out of our trailer. It would have been a shame if the naysayers would have talked me down....

Old 10-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Tow Limits

Your solutions are simple.

A. Have Andrew at CanAm setup your combination.

Or.

B. Buy a ProPride from Sean

By doing so you will have a more stable platform than many Airstreamers who tow with an F350.

Both of these professionals who do things to make towing your Airstream a lot safer tend to catch a lot of crap on AirForums. Go figure.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Wow...i haven't read all the responses here but part way through it hit me like a brick just as I'm sure most everyone on this forum will nod in the affirmative just how many are out there, towing RVs in compromised fashion. I personally had little info on how important this is when I went shopping for our AS and sadly, our dealer was more interested in selling us a trailer than educating us on the towing aspects. What helped in our favor was that we picked out our trailer first, then went to buy a truck and asked the truck dealer to show us what we needed to tow it with. The first truck dealer made it kinda obvious they too were more concerned with selling us a truck not looking confident in what it would tow so we went to another who did us right. This is a critical part of the RV buying process that seems to be solely on the customer and we all know how these days, the customer is typically considered an uninformed idiot by most other manufacturers specifically to avoid liability. Even after our experience, I didn't know the dirty details till joining this forum. I'm surprised there haven't been more stories of disaster and lawsuits thinking about the recent rise in RV purchases...
Wow.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Your solutions are simple.

A. Have Andrew at CanAm setup your combination.

Or.

B. Buy a ProPride from Sean

By doing so you will have a more stable platform than many Airstreamers who tow with an F350.

Both of these professionals who do things to make towing your Airstream a lot safer tend to catch a lot of crap on AirForums. Go figure.
Or you could take your Hensley, your trailer, and your F350 to Andy and get the best of both worlds!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We do strengthen the receivers, add transmission coolers when needed and sometimes refine tire sizes but otherwise the several hundred of these Toyota platforms we have set up over the last 18 years are stock.

The body structure stays tighter than any body on frame vehicle I can think of. Driveline chassis component problems have been pretty much nil, very little other than normal maintenance.

If there is a weak link we have not found it yet.

Andy
As i have learned, the weak link is often the driver and his misconceptions.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Shoulda looked at the numbers first

CV-8:
I ( and maybe others) should have looked up the #'s first before commenting.
The 22' Sport also has a GVWR of 4500#. Your highlander is rated for 5000#. Yes, you also have to watch payload as others stated, but with you, your wife and pets, I can't imagine you'll have a problem.
Get a good hitch setup, get your AS and have fun.

Now if you really want to be entertained, just ask this group which hitch is best. Then sit back and enjoy the show😳

Jim