Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #1

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Barbara , California
Tow Hardware Suggestion Needed

Hi Airforums,

First-time RVer just bought a used 2015 23fb last weekend. Wahoo, its gorgeous.

Trailer base weight (lbs): 4,806
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs): 6,000

My tow vehicle is:
2014 Toyota Sequoia 4WD with Tow Package and Electronic Trailer Sway Control Mode
Vehicle Curb Weight (lbs): 5,980
Towing Capacity (lbs): 7,100
Maximum Tongue Weight (lbs): 960

A Tekonsha P3 brake controller already installer (can remove if needed).

What does the forum suggest for the best tow hardware, and weight distribution? An Equil-i-zer? Air bags? Anti-Sway bars? Do I even need sway control hardware?

Thank you so much for your input.
alongbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
What's the cargo capacity of your Sequoia? There's a sticker on the driver's side door frame that will say:"the combined weight of cargo and passengers should not exceed xxxx lbs." Then add up the weight of people, dogs and stuff plus about 850 tongue weight for the trailer and see how it compares to that number. If it's close, then consider a "weight distribution" hitch which transfers some of the tongue weight off the rear wheels to the front wheels of the TV and back to the trailer wheels. Equalizer makes a fairly inexpensive WD hitch. ProPride (which I own) makes a much more expensive WD hitch that includes very effective anti-sway. I'm thinking that's probably overkill for you, since my trailer is much longer than yours. Towing capacity should not be an issue. Just be sure you manage the load your truck is carrying--so your headlights aren't aiming for the sky and your front wheels make solid contact with the pavement, so you can steer.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby.

I would highly suggest using a weight distribution/sway control hitch system. I tow a 25FB with a one ton Duramax, and I use a weight distribution/ sway control hitch system. The risk that you run without weight distribution is that a load in the back of the tow vehicle along with some significant tongue weight of a large trailer can put a lot of weight on the back of the tow vehicle. This can lighten the load on the tow vehicle's front axle to the point that steering response can be adversely affected.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote