Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #1

Oakland , California
Touareg and Curt Echo brake controller?

I am considering using a Curt Echo wireless brake controller with my 2016 VW Touareg. It would seem to be a good fit and eTrailer recommends it highly for the Touareg as it’s much simpler than hooking up the irony needed to access the brake control plug in the Touareg. One concern I have is that it works by being plugged into the 7 pin connector and then plugging trailer into the brake controller and I am concerned that if it is plugged into the 7 pin plug it will interfere with the Touareg recognizing the trailer. The Touareg has some. Ice features that are enabled once it recognizes a trailer is attached and I don’t want to interfere with that. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of set up?
Thanks
Lori
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Lori, I have a VW Atlas with the Curt Echo. The vehicle recognized the trailer connected on the dash, and will assume the same for the Touareg. Isn’t full confirmation, but pretty confident VW to VW you would get the same results.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #3

Oakland , California
Thanks....that is very helpful.
I also contacted Curt and eTrailer and they said no problem:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-341180.html?fb=yes
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I prefer the cab mounted controllers that can be two finger actuated. I'm referring to the type that plugs into the under-dash brake controller harness that is included with many vehicles, especially those equipped for towing with a towing package.

You can easily test if the trailer brakes are being signaled by the controller by squeezing the finger levers, and you can manually modulate the trailer brakes in the event of a sway incident.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
Problem with Curt Echo

This is a bit dated, but maybe some of you are monitoring.

I too tow with a 2016 Touareg. When I purchased my 2020 AS FC 25, the dealer installed the Curt Echo wireless. I requested a wired version, but they were not experienced with the Touareg.

Yesterday, I took my AS to Colonial Airstream for some service items and a few changes. It is a haul for me of 3 hours, and cuts thru a lot of heavy traffic. On the way down, my Curt Echo failed and did not apply the trailer brakes. I could really tell the difference and was worried about having to make an emergency stop. It failed maybe 4 times, and then with no changes, started working again. I have not had this experience before with the Curt. Needless to say, I do not trust it now. But would like to know what might be happening?
Flathead1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
I prefer the cab mounted controllers that can be two finger actuated. I'm referring to the type that plugs into the under-dash brake controller harness that is included with many vehicles, especially those equipped for towing with a towing package.

You can easily test if the trailer brakes are being signaled by the controller by squeezing the finger levers, and you can manually modulate the trailer brakes in the event of a sway incident.
^
X2

WiFi controlled trailer brakes...what happens if the wifi poop's?

I like wires.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	119273FB-E82A-469F-9212-AD07F2425ED1_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	375770  
Old 08-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^

X2

WiFi controlled trailer brakes...what happens if the wifi poop's?

I like wires.

Bob

[emoji631]

Yup. Even the Department of Overkill Engineering likes wires, hard switches, DC motors and relays for critical safety stuff.

A nice close lighting strike can easily take out RF dependent stuff like WiFi. Or a close by Ham Radio Transmitter on the right frequency. Been there, done that (to myself).
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote