Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #1

Oakland , California
Touareg and Curt Echo brake controller?

I am considering using a Curt Echo wireless brake controller with my 2016 VW Touareg. It would seem to be a good fit and eTrailer recommends it highly for the Touareg as itís much simpler than hooking up the irony needed to access the brake control plug in the Touareg. One concern I have is that it works by being plugged into the 7 pin connector and then plugging trailer into the brake controller and I am concerned that if it is plugged into the 7 pin plug it will interfere with the Touareg recognizing the trailer. The Touareg has some. Ice features that are enabled once it recognizes a trailer is attached and I donít want to interfere with that. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of set up?
Thanks
Lori

lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Lori, I have a VW Atlas with the Curt Echo. The vehicle recognized the trailer connected on the dash, and will assume the same for the Touareg. Isnít full confirmation, but pretty confident VW to VW you would get the same results.

Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #3

Oakland , California
Thanks....that is very helpful.
I also contacted Curt and eTrailer and they said no problem:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-341180.html?fb=yes
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I prefer the cab mounted controllers that can be two finger actuated. I'm referring to the type that plugs into the under-dash brake controller harness that is included with many vehicles, especially those equipped for towing with a towing package.

You can easily test if the trailer brakes are being signaled by the controller by squeezing the finger levers, and you can manually modulate the trailer brakes in the event of a sway incident.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote